Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

possible boost for 2grand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default possible boost for 2grand?

I really would like some more speed out of my car. I have more than 2grand to put into it but then the car would be worth alot less than I have invested in it. It has to be possible. There is no way 4-5 grand is even worth it. I was thinking diy but not very experienced at all with turbos and setups. And dont say well get afaster car because I love my tc so trying to find a way. Only looking to maybe get 10psi max mostly because of stock internals. So no opinions please just let me know what options I have. Thanks
Old 12-06-2008, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If i were you i would look in the classfied scection and buy a used turbo kit from a trust worthy member here on scionlife most of us here are. That would be your best bet, but a new turbo system @ 2 grand not gonna happen lol
Old 12-06-2008, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Talk to Marcelo on here...

He basically purchased an eBay kit just for the manifold and piping - and purchased good parts to complete the kit.

I think it came ouit to under $2k - and it makes good power. 280wp and 300wtq I think on a Greddy eManage.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Great deal, hard to beat

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=240164
Old 12-06-2008, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

yeah there's really some good used kits around here i see everyday.. I would go for that than making a custom ebay stuff.. just careful choosing and make sure you know what to ask and look at
Old 12-06-2008, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hit up Unit Xero, I hear he is selling his Greddy kit for SUPER cheap, right around your 2k price
Old 12-06-2008, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Aight i checked out that deal smoke and seems really cheap. I offered him 2500 dont know if hell take it or not just got other priorities right now. So im basically a newbie when it comes to turbos ive heard bad things about using forced induction on our cars. Mostly because of the compression ratio which i heard is around 11:1 and ik myself and others dont have money for aftermarket pistons. So you guys that are boosted whats the max psi youll run on stock internals. Im not really looking for a race car or anything just a faster street car. Maybe smoke a mustang or subi. Maybe thats a little wishful but who knows!
Old 12-06-2008, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On the contrary whoever told you our cars were bad for boost doesnt know the 2azfe. Our motor is good for boost.. We can run up to about 13psi safely with a good tune. 8-10psi is around 300hp reliably.. compression on the 05-06 motor is like 9:6.1 and 07+ is 9:8.1 iirc
Old 12-06-2008, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive smoked a lightly modded wrx on 6lbs and a mustang GT. Same day lol mustang was on the interstate after work and wrx was once I got back in town just a lil 1-3 race I pulled HER by 3 cars.. lol I was on stock ecu stock injectors.. It ran perfect. You can only run the stock stuff at less than 6psi
Old 12-06-2008, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by REVOSOLDIER
Aight i checked out that deal smoke and seems really cheap. I offered him 2500 dont know if hell take it or not just got other priorities right now. So im basically a newbie when it comes to turbos ive heard bad things about using forced induction on our cars. Mostly because of the compression ratio which i heard is around 11:1 and ik myself and others dont have money for aftermarket pistons. So you guys that are boosted whats the max psi youll run on stock internals. Im not really looking for a race car or anything just a faster street car. Maybe smoke a mustang or subi. Maybe thats a little wishful but who knows!

WHHHHOOOOAAAA!!! From now on, you come here and get your information. No more talking to whoever told you that our motors were 11:1 compression. The 05-06 tC compression is 9:6.1 and the 07+ are 9:7.1 or 9:8, can't remember exactly. In either case, we are beast on boost and run just fine. Just get it tuned good and then proceed to destroy the guy who told you the false information....lol. No seriously, we hold boost like it was suppose to be turboed. 90% of everyone here is running 10 PSI or less, with an exceptional few who are running more than 10 PSI on the stock motor (including me). You will be fine, and won't need to think about internals until you are pushing 350+whp.

PS.....you will destroy a stock STI with just 8 PSI of boost just to give you an idea of how fast the turbo will make your car (that's from a roll race of course).
Old 12-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Banned
SL Member

Definitly buy a used kit you don't want to peice one together unless you have a shop to do fabrication which could end up costing alot. My custom kit ended up costing more than most kits out there and that was with me and my friends do all the work.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ that in exchange for fun and few headaches hahah
Old 12-07-2008, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I say no. Even if you can buy a used Turbo kit for under 2k, you'll still need gauges, an ems, and a professional tune.

Then you should have at least 1k - 2k in savings just in case something goes wrong (which it will).

NO BOOSTING ON A BUDGET!
Old 12-07-2008, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR TURBO REBUILT!!!

Take it to a turbo shop and have them replace the seals and recheck all clearances.. and make sure they rebalance everything.. that's important. Anyone who has a turbo car is gonna ride it kinda hard so its super safe to check the turbo out and make sure its good to go
Old 12-07-2008, 10:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool deal... lovemytc is selling her dezod kit with everything included for 2800 i offered 2500 so well see what happens. When i get back to the states there is a shop in florida ill prolly have them check the turbo...any idea how much that will run? And I know they tune to which i heard is like 100 an hr. true? false? lol she said the emanage comes pretuned but to get my car fully tuned when installed. I was thinking about installing it and then towing it down to florida to get it done. Of course this is all if she accepts my offer. thats what im shooting for smoke...i mean i want it just to go faster but beating those cars would be a plus. lol. The oil pan comes pretapped to so thats good Ive been reading that it sux to get that off. You guys have any tips as far as tuning or install common problems? Also ima need to get guages how much will that run?
Old 12-07-2008, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Quality gauges can cost almost a 1k themselves..

Some shops tune emanages for flat rates. I know several in Cali who'll tune all day for $300.

I suspect that when everything's said and done, you're going to have spent at least $3500.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why dont you think about a stage 0 kit. ive seen a few kits on the market for very cheap. you wont have to worry about a hard install or engine management!
Old 12-07-2008, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Soulquarian
I say no. Even if you can buy a used Turbo kit for under 2k, you'll still need gauges, an ems, and a professional tune.

Then you should have at least 1k - 2k in savings just in case something goes wrong (which it will).

NO BOOSTING ON A BUDGET!

I agree 100% with this guy.

Things can and sometimes do go wrong. If you cant afford the worst happening then dont do it.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

On top of what Yamaha and Soulquarian said,

once u spend the 3.5xx on a turbo kit and get the extra's n stuff, you will begin to not realize the money ur spending...

at first for me it was like hell no i cant drop 5 thousand, 5 THOUSAND dollars on a turbo for my car....

then i worked up the *****(and money of course), and bought the damn thing....

after that initial blowout of money is gone you forget about it and then you add even more stuff!!
Old 12-07-2008, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yup. I try not to think about how much Ive put into the turbo setup up alone! lol

Quick Reply: possible boost for 2grand?