Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

preliminary zpi stage0 checklist

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default preliminary zpi stage0 checklist

i might be going the FI route this summer. Nothing too radical; the zpi stage 0 kit looks perfect for me. i don't want to go more than 6 PSI boost, so i won't really need any emanage/other management will i? assuming my engine management is stock/zpi stage 0 provided, this is my checklist:

1. zpi stage 0 turbo kit
2. cat-back exhaust (don't know what kind, yet... but cat-back would be better than axle-back for a turbo setup, correct?)
3. zpi street clutch
4. zpi pre-drilled tC oil pan
5. AEM wideband A/F ratio gauge
6. Boost gauge
7. EGT gauge
8. Oil Pressure Gauge
9. Turbo Timer

all i'm trying to accomplish is get a nice amount of added power without suffering too much reliability. in other words, don't post telling me to get a lightweight flywheel since i'm replacing the clutch. i dont really want that sort of advice. i just need to make sure i get all the necessary parts for this basic setup. thanks for the help.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

for 2. - you 100% want a turbo back setup. Ax. back will not get you the performance gains. EGT gauge is not 100% needed but if you have room for 4 gauges I would get it. If you are trying to cut down cost but get a basic setup an eman blue would help you with more power and better fuel management. Other then that ....you list looks good. I did hear from someone that switching your injectors is also a plus. I dont know much about the stage0 to comment. Hope that helped a tad.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

thanks. and yeah, i'll have to look into emanage blue and see if i could get it preprogrammed for the stage 0 from zpi for a reasonable price.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just keep researching it. And dont buy anything until you know how it all works.. like the difference between and axelback and a catback.. Turbos are expensive and you want to be able to fix anything that seems out of place yourself to save you money. Also if you dont know how it all works then the place you go for tuning/install will rip you bad..

just useless thougths, I know..
Old 03-25-2007, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

well when i bought my stage 0, i also bought some new spark plugs, the hks ssqv bov, and the flange for that.....i haven't tuned it yet, but haven't had any problems with it yet for about 3 months....will eventually get it tuned for more reliability, but the only thing that is necessary if you do the install yourself, will be the pretapped oil pan and at least a boost and wideband gauge....other than that, if you diy, then i can recommend techniques to get things off, or sealenets and tapes, etc to make it go smoother....happy boosting!
Old 03-25-2007, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Ohh yea - i heard that you dont get a bov w/ the stage0 - you 100% want a bov. You do not want that pressure staying in the tube - i dont care what anyody says. I guess zpi is saying its not needed (which is why its not included) ....but that is something you want from day1.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

personally, i wouldnt go with a turbo kit without some sort of engine management or tune.

but then again many people have ran this kit without problems, so its up to you.

also, if your weather fluctuates, like really hot in the summer to really cold in the winter you may want to look into an intercooler.. but then again thats just my opinion and some say i have no clue what im talking about.

however, i believe four things are crucial to a properly running turbo set up:
1) appropriate sized turbo
2) strong manifold
3) intercooler
4) appropriate tune

also, make sure you install it correctly and fix any leaks that may come up as soon as you can.

also, the stage 0 may be appealing because its only 3000, but later down the road you will want to turn up the boost, everyone always wants to
Old 03-25-2007, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by blackonblacktc
also, the stage 0 may be appealing because its only 3000, but later down the road you will want to turn up the boost, everyone always wants to
But he can do that when he gets his IC and management - he just wants somehwere to start.

How much money do you have to spend? A basic setup for someone w/ a lot of money is different then a basic setup for someone trying to spend as little as possible.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

true

also, make sure your not strapped for cash just trying to pay for the turbo kit.

i see your age, and your pretty young, so make sure you not only have enough money for the kit itself, but have at least 1-2k saved up for accidents that may happen, like a blown motor, or head, or any problems that may arise.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by blackonblacktc
true

also, make sure your not strapped for cash just trying to pay for the turbo kit.

i see your age, and your pretty young, so make sure you not only have enough money for the kit itself, but have at least 1-2k saved up for accidents that may happen, like a blown motor, or head, or any problems that may arise.

Very true - FI can cause problems. Think about what plan B will be if you can't use your car for a week or two. If you are strapped then get a full kit but do things in stages so you are covering all the areas.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would just tap the pan instead of wasting a couple hundred. It's really easy (this is coming from someone who had never even done an oil change before). You might need a copper wastegate gasket, but I don't know for sure since ZPI uses their own wastegate now.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by rodlandscion
I would just tap the pan instead of wasting a couple hundred. It's really easy (this is coming from someone who had never even done an oil change before). You might need a copper wastegate gasket, but I don't know for sure since ZPI uses their own wastegate now.
Depends - you will have less downtime w/ having them do it - also - you want to make sure its tight and done correctly. Are the pretapped comming w/ a welded bung?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Depends - you will have less downtime w/ having them do it - also - you want to make sure its tight and done correctly. Are the pretapped comming w/ a welded bung?
yes, it comes with the welded bung.

as for financial means, you're absolutely right in saying i will need to have enough cash in the bank for problems. luckily, i have that covered. my turbo fund right now only has about $500 in it, BUT my car emergency fund has about 3k (none of which i am using for turbo parts), so i'll be fine from that standpoint. also, i've gotten a few scholarships for college next year, so my tuition will be free and i'll be getting monthly checks in the mail. starting the weekend after easter, i start up two jobs and plan on keeping them through summer and into the fall to build up some spending money (mostly the turbo fund). it's going to be a nice little wait, but i'm sure it will be worth it.

does anyone know if zpi would preprogram an emanage based on simply their exhaust and stage 0 turbo tune? also, if anyone has done this, how much more of a price premium does it carry?[/quote]
Old 03-25-2007, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jaxtcracer

as for financial means, you're absolutely right in saying i will need to have enough cash in the bank for problems. luckily, i have that covered. my turbo fund right now only has about $500 in it, BUT my car emergency fund has about 3k (none of which i am using for turbo parts), so i'll be fine from that standpoint. also, i've gotten a few scholarships for college next year, so my tuition will be free and i'll be getting monthly checks in the mail. starting the weekend after easter, i start up two jobs and plan on keeping them through summer and into the fall to build up some spending money (mostly the turbo fund). it's going to be a nice little wait, but i'm sure it will be worth it.

does anyone know if zpi would preprogram an emanage based on simply their exhaust and stage 0 turbo tune? also, if anyone has done this, how much more of a price premium does it carry?
[/quote]

Give them a call, they might be able to work somethin out with you.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
I guess zpi is saying its not needed (which is why its not included) ....but that is something you want from day1.

Not true at all. They don't state that. Infact it's not included because it's Optional. Not like your engine is going to blow up if you don't run a BOV you know. You can select whatever BOV you want really, with either of the kits. HKS is recommended though.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

does anyone know if zpi would preprogram an emanage based on simply their exhaust and stage 0 turbo tune? also, if anyone has done this, how much more of a price premium does it carry?

I like good ole fashion...hard working people.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
I guess zpi is saying its not needed (which is why its not included) ....but that is something you want from day1.

Not true at all. They don't state that. Infact it's not included because it's Optional. Not like your engine is going to blow up if you don't run a BOV you know. You can select whatever BOV you want really, with either of the kits. HKS is recommended though.
But in reality how much is it an option? Would you tell someone to not run a bov? Im not trying to argue ......just would like your feedback.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

But in reality how much is it an option? Would you tell someone to not run a bov? Im not trying to argue ......just would like your feedback.

I would tell them to GO BIG or GO HOME!

Stage 1 FTW!
Old 03-29-2007, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Stage 1 FTW!
haha stage 1 would be beautiful. of course we'd all love to have it. realistically, i can't afford to take the risk of boosting my engine over 300whp. I wouldn't be able to afford the necessary strength upgrades. My car has about 7,000 miles. I want to keep it for a LONG time, which is why i'm going stage 0. i'm looking for as high mileage as i can get boosted out of my car. i'm sure stage 1 has a nice 'push you back in your seat' feeling, though
Old 03-29-2007, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Stage 1 FTW!
haha stage 1 would be beautiful. of course we'd all love to have it. realistically, i can't afford to take the risk of boosting my engine over 300whp. I wouldn't be able to afford the necessary strength upgrades. My car has about 7,000 miles. I want to keep it for a LONG time, which is why i'm going stage 0. i'm looking for as high mileage as i can get boosted out of my car. i'm sure stage 1 has a nice 'push you back in your seat' feeling, though
I think you are doing the right thing - save the fmic for later - you can always then turn up the boost next year if you get the emanage this year. Your tuner should be able to get more hp out of the emanage ultimate so that is something to think about before you make your decision.

Quick Reply: preliminary zpi stage0 checklist