Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

project stealth: update on page 6

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for $400 what kind of turbo is that?? You can get a name brand (garrett/BG/etc) for that price
Old 11-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
Have you used an ebay turbo and had it fail on you? If not than quit bashing a product youve never used. I know alot of ebay stuff is sub par quality but you have no right to give your "review" of a product youve never actually tested. Now if you have tested them and have had them fail free free to post accurate information but this stupid stuff about "get rid of everything ebay" etc gets really annoying, please offer constructive help or dont post at all
I have persoanlly seen several ebay turbos and wastegates fail severely. from leaks to just blowing apart

Nobody finds it odd that ebay turbos are $150 and SMART people spend no less than $500 for a small garrett unit
Old 11-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that is a garrett and um ebay products have gotten better the whole exploding turbo doesnt exist much anymore since the chinese have stepped their game up i have a ebay 20g on my drag car and it only had one problem....didnt come with hardware geez luiz i think that for 200 to have something that contributed to my 12 second car is a hell of a deal
Old 11-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Banned
SL Member

u have a drag car and used an ebay turbo..

enough said

I cannot believe people are defending ebay products

not only are they ____ty but they hurt the real companies that make quality products
Old 11-07-2008, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the wastegate will fail you, the blow off valve will leak id replace those. id atleast get watermeth if ur running no i/c
Old 11-07-2008, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive seen reports from both sides - there are several toyota, honda, and dsm owners that have had good luck and bad luck with the ebay turbos, im just tired of people saying things about something they havent witnessed first hand, theres alot of reports from someone's brother's cousin's friend out there that say they will all blow up and destroy your engine! lol So yea buying an ebay turbo is taking a big gamble but it seems they have worked for some so in the end its up to you. If you look around you can find a good deal on a used name brand turbo I see Garrett T3/T4's (genuine) on ebay all the time for around $500 brand new so yea
Old 11-07-2008, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by purplenitroustc
u have a drag car and used an ebay turbo..

enough said

I cannot believe people are defending ebay products

not only are they ____ty but they hurt the real companies that make quality products
i am in 100% agreement.. so many people started making knock offs of greddys hard work and quality and look where they are now.

i would rather do it right the FIRST time and go with a brand that has proven itself time and time again vice a brand that may cause major damage to my car and wallet in the long run.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Banned
SL Member

dont buy ebay ____
Old 11-07-2008, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

^^i'll AMEN that... can i get a AEMN?????
Old 11-07-2008, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by java09
^^i'll AMEN that... can i get a AEMN?????
amen

WE are not kidding you in any way Ebay car parts are 100percent crap

for my custom build i had some ebay parts i tried out,

1 was a manual boost controller that once i had it in my hands i immediately threw it in the garbage. 2nd was the wastegate, that came w/ a valve that would not close it stayed open the entire time. i new this was going to happen i just wanted to put the ebay myth to the test, i replaced it with a nice Turbonetics raptor wastegate.

EBAY IS **** for turbo parts unless u need a catch can lol stay away.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm torn with this....see here, i support the companies aaaand i also believe ebay is full of poop...but i also kiiiinda (only a lil'!) want this turbo to work out for the guy, just so he can throw it in your faces some and be proud of his work.....

but i'm sure we all have expectations of poop with this one....
Old 11-07-2008, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah for sure we want him to succeed but i mean not w/ ebay parts maybe it will work and he'll come on here say it works shove it in our faces but then 2 weeks later it'll go. Go ahead do the ebay parts, i know some people over at a shop i go to who are completely ebay ftw...they love getting those wastegates and rebuilding them. I gave my old ebay wastegate (aka JDM Wastegate) to my friend who works at the shop and is building the wastegate to use for his honda...im not into hondas but hey these guys do good work.

to each his own i just prefer name brand
Old 11-07-2008, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

by all means, so do i....

...companies you can trust ftw! (shout out for dezod!)
Old 11-07-2008, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

and Garrett!
Old 11-07-2008, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do agree that they arent the best products, I guess I really only own one ebay turbo piece myself and thats the manifold which has turned out great but thats one of the few things id really trust (cast manifolds, intercoolers, piping, all seem to be ok things to get off ebay) Just dont egt anything welded - the welds seem to be really bad and crack easily. So yea there ya go And you can get a hell of a deal on a turbo if you just look - i bought a brand new never mounted tnetics t3/t4 with water cooled chra 50 trim with .48 exh side for $150 just had a destroyed compressor wheel (some idiot stabbed it with a screwdrive) so $140 invested in a new wheel and balance from a local turbo repair shop and i have a brand new turbo for $290 :D
Old 11-07-2008, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My Ebay FMIC and manifold is the shizznit.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

^well those pieces dont have the ability to turn your engine into a large paper-weight, turbos and wastegates do, lol!

im supporting the OP, hope this works for him, but even if it does and puts down good numbers, i still wouldnt jump!
Old 11-08-2008, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive used an ebay turbo before.. the seals suck my dick.. the turbos are made in china.. = ____
Old 11-08-2008, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You would be suprised how many drag vehicles use ebay turbos, but you have to still consider that you get what you pay for. So if your turbo does fail you cant be mad. As for the wg and bov both ebay stuff is garbage and I would replace, wg will fail, know from experience. I have experience with ebay parts, frankly I would invest in quality parts that will last longer, that is not to say ebay stuff wont work but like I said before you get what you pay for.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hope it works out for you man...But incase something does happen, we told you so..

good luck..

Quick Reply: project stealth: update on page 6