Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

PTUNING/Lustine Wins 2008 Redline Time Attack Championship

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 05:24 PM

Default PTUNING/Lustine Wins 2008 Redline Time Attack Championship

Before I begin, I would like to take this opportunity to thank our sponsors, without their support, this championship win would not have been possible.

-Lustine Scion www.lustinescion.com for the use of their Toyota Tundra tow vehicle, supplying us with all the factory parts for rebuilding the front-end damage and finanical assistance to help cover the expense of running a race car.

-Progress Technology www.progressauto.com for their race-proven custom time attack coilover setup and rear swaybars.

-Seibon Carbon www.seiboncarbon.com for their lightweight, strong and perfect-fitting carbon fiber hood, doors and trunk lid.

-Hawk Performance www.hawkperformance.com for their awesom3 DTC-60 racing pads that provided consistent and awesome stopping power.

-Toyo Tires www.toyo.com for their extremely sticky and competitive race-compound tires.

-Clutch Masters www.clutchmasters.com for their awesome lightweight and fast shifting stage 6.5 road race twin-clutch setup. This clutch can handle anything our motor can put out.

-FIC www.fuelinjectorclinic.com for supplying us with their new 900cc saturated injectors.

-Chris, from the www.thehotstickers.com for the all the vinyl decal work on the tC.

-The DriveShaft Shop www.driveshaftshop.com for their level 3.9 axles and supplying us with the billet slugs for our custom hubs.

-And last but not least, my entire Ptuning crew and driver. Without their hard work, dedication and passion for the sport, this championship would not have been possible.

At first it seem to be an impossible feat but with enough drive and dedication, the Ptuning crew managed to rebuild the Ptuning/Lustine Scion Time Attack tC--after the accident at Summit Points--in six weeks.

We not only rebuild the car back to it's original spec, but we managed to drop in our race motor, cylinder head and camshaft as well. Our custom front hub was also completed in time to allow the use of the Toyo R888 285s in the front. Pulling 3 consecutive all-nighters before the morning of the race, we manage to get the car running, tuned and aligned to give our driver Ross Miller a competive setup that can take advantage of the high speed course at VIR.

This weekend, we managed to not only win the 2008 Championship in our class, but we managed to win the race and set a new Modifed FWD class record at VIR with only one timed lap. Due to a mechanical failure with the factory transmission--we lost fourth gear--we decide to end the time attack session on Saturday with a one-lap time of 2:12 second. Without this mechanical failure, we felt that we could have pulled off a 2:04-2:06 lap time.

Our tuner Toan managed to pull off a last minute tune to get our race motor to 408whp (dyno dynamics) ~ 457whp (dynojet). We wanted to give Ross a bit more power, but due do the time constraints, we ended the dyno session at around midnight before the race. Our lightened crankshaft, race cylinder head and camshafts offered awesom flow at low, mid and high rpms. We set the rev limiter to 7800rpm (that 1550 rpm above stock). With the tire diameter we were running, the factory gear ratio and the new rev limiter, we calculated a theorical top speed of 175mph. On Saturday during the practice session, Ross mentioned to us that the car pegged the 140mph mark on the factory speedo half way down the front straight and the tC was still accelerating like a freight train before he had to let off the throttle for turn one. He estimated the tC must have hit 160mph on the front straight.

Even with the same GT30R turbo that we we're using on the factory motor prior to VIR, the new race engine was still building power beyond our 7800 rpm rev limiter. We will be experimenting with the new engine setup during the off season as well as setting up the suspension and aerodynamics on the car for next season.

Also, I would like to thank everyone for their encouragement and support with our time attack efforts and a special thank to all those that made the trek down to VIR to watch the race and offer their support. Now you can tell your Honda buddies that a tc is capable of winning a championship and beating out three Honda civics to take the win at VIR.

We will post more information and pics about the car and the event once everyone catches up on their sleep--it's been a really really long week/weekend.

MrC

Below is a post made by our tech Justin, who took 2nd place in the Street FWD class at VIR in his Ptuning turbo xA. This post was made on www.Scionnoics.com:

Ptuning saga... what a crazy and incredable week
Just got back from VIR and the season ender for the time attack series. 1st off, GT live motorsports festival was awsome and way better than any car show or car event I have ever been to period. It was a beatiful track, with so much going on. Drifting, auto-x, go-karts, different race series competed including endurance racing.

since last wed. night, Toan, Coung and I pulled 3 all-nighters in a row to get the tC completed in time for V.I.R. It was dedication that drove us to do the impossible. Car went from this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nkKwZHN1As aug 16th to winning FWD modified this weekend and take the points chase to become the 2008 FWD champion driven by Ross Miller. We literally finished the tC hours before the event, without sleep rolled down to VIR. Tommy (Ptuning employee) drove my xA down because I was in no condidtion to drive 4.5 hours let alone race that day, but I raced anyhow.

On my end I had serious competition in FWD street, 7 competitors!! all fast cars, Mazdaspeed3, turbo rsx, turbo inegra, k20 supercharged civic, sentra ser, Doug Wind in his insane SRT-4, and another integra set up well. I gave them all I had, I crushed last years winning fwd time by almost 3 seconds!! But unfortunatly Doug was seriously fast... I ended up taking 2nd but im still happy.

Below is a post made by our driver Ross Miller on www.timeattackforums.com about the event:

one lap for the win! (the ptuning saga)
Alright guys, after these last 48 hours I'm very tired, a little intoxicated and VERY impressed. Lets start with 6 weeks ago, I managed to nearly destroy the best looking car in the paddock (ok, so I'm a little bias). After 6 weeks, a few days on a frame machine, four thousand dollars in Scion parts, and countless hours spent tuning, preparing, and fabricating and PTunings Scion lives.

Now backup 24 hours, I arrive at PTuning at 5pm to a car on the dyno. At first, the car will not rev, and a stuck throttle body is to blame. Then the car will NOT rev over 6250, which is the stock redline. Then the electronic boost controler is not playing well with the ECU. So 7 hours later (yes, thats midnight) The car comes off the dyno with JUST a WOT tune. I will not release the numbers, but its impressive, and we still have a LOT more to get out of this motor. Now, the custom hubs need to be swapped in, the spiltter needs to be installed, and we need to pack up. Midnight quickly turns into 3am, the car is thrown on the alignment machine for a "ok" setup, and is loaded onto the trailer as we are still bolting stuff onto the car. We load up, and take off for VIR.

5 hours later, numerous coffee's and some creative talking later, we are registered and unpacking the car, AS the practice is starting. We grab a transponder, and send the car out. I get 5 laps, 2 are in the pits, and the "fast" laps had coolant spewing onto the windshield. The quickest was a high 2:14, which was not even 1/2 speed. We quickly ripped the overflow line from the radiator, and removed the cap. It was clear something was messed up. So a trip to advanced, and new cap, and a new fitting for the overflow and the problem was fixed.

Now comes the time attack, I bring the car to the grid with a 1/4 of a tank which is what we used before with no problems. With the new injectors and motor it was clear that a 1/4 was not enough. I clear the warmup lap and on my first hot lap the fuel light comes on at the climbing Esses. "Great!" i think, there is no way I'm going to make it though this lap. Coming out of Hogpen I go WOT and just before start finish, the car dies. No power, but the car is still running. WTF? the fuel tank is dry and I'm running off just the swirl pot. I make it though turn 1 and there is nothing. So I pull off, and pull behind the wall into the paddock. I'm hoping there was no black flag and the time stands. I make it back to the where we paddocked and share the news with the crew. They are as devistated as I was. Really, not something you'd actually expect to happen on track, but it did. We fill up the tank, and I talk to them about the GT Sim Race. We decide that the GT sim race would be fun, and would give me a little more time on track with the car.

I'm having a good time and on the 4th person during the GT sim race, the unexpected happens. I make it all the way though thte climbing esses, and shift into the 4th just before south bend, I get on the gas and nothing. 4th gear is gone, nothing... and the s2000 behind me nearly tags me in the rear. I feel bad, as I'm trying to find a gear, and limp the car back to the pits. I bring the car back, let the guy out and retire the car to the paddock. AI let the team know what happened and they are devistated, but immediatly they dive into the car. What could be the problem? Was there a noise? was the gear destroyed? was it the shift fork? could we continue?

After all was said and done, the PTuning Time Attack Scion tC layed down a 2:12. Nothing special, but so far its good enough for first in class. That would mean an overall Mod FWD win, and yet we were all so tired that we were apethetic to the cause. We were there for one reason, to win, to come home with another plaque and the season chamiponship in Mod FWD. While I'm not one to count the chickens before the hatch, I think PTuning made the impossible happen. One lap, for a dream, for the team that can do the impossible, that can come back from the dead. PTuning went countless hours without sleep, makeing sure the impossible can happen. PTuning showed that racing is more than a driver and a car on track, its more than flashy cars and fast times. Its about team work, its about dedication and the drive to win, the dedication to make the impossible happen.

In the end we had one lap, one lap for the win.

Here's some pictures and video of the tc at VIR:

Ptuning/Lustine Time Attack Scion tC at VIR 2008 Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHigzF2L6vM

Ptuning/Lustine Time Attack Scion tC in GT Live Sim Race at VIR 2008 Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJsBbwU0ELQ

Old 10-06-2008, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

awesome and congrats guys :D
Old 10-06-2008, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much boost?
Old 10-06-2008, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Yes! Congratulations!
As always, I enjoy hearing about your progress.

Will much change for the 09 Season? Now that you've got the modified class under your belt, Will you be staying in that class or will you move on up? I'd love to see more information on the results of your testing with this "built" motor.

one last thing. I don't remember, did you say that block is sleeved?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by brett561tc
how much boost?

In the other thread, Carbon said it was on 19 PSI.

As for Ptuning.... That is Awesome!

I to had a gear go out on my 06 Tranny (5th gear). I dropped a used 05 Tranny in, and have not had a problem since. Brian was the same way, his 2006 tC's tranny crapped out, and they dropped in an 05 for him, and it's been good since. What year is the Ptuning tC?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
how much boost?

is that on race gas or pump?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Congratulations! time to look forward to next season...im gona have to make a vacation out of it and drive over there to see the TC and buy the turbo when its done...once again congrats!
Old 10-06-2008, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also, do you guys have any pics of the dyno graphs? i'd like to see how the broad the powerband looks with the cams and head work.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

congrats guys! great job to the entire crew
Old 10-06-2008, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

congrats!!! now get started on that commercial turbo kit! bahahahahahaa
Old 10-06-2008, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Complication
Yes! Congratulations!
As always, I enjoy hearing about your progress.

Will much change for the 09 Season? Now that you've got the modified class under your belt, Will you be staying in that class or will you move on up? I'd love to see more information on the results of your testing with this "built" motor.

one last thing. I don't remember, did you say that block is sleeved?
We still have a bunch of changes we want to make for '09, including engine and aerodynamcis. As far as which class we will be running, that all depends on our tire sponsorship. If Toyo decides to offer us a full sponsorship for '09 we will be running modified. If not, we may considered running unlimited--but that's going to require a VERY BIG budget and racing against some very well-funded competitors.

Here's some specs on our race motor which we will be offering shortly. The specs may change may or may not change when we release the motor package for sale. We will be building another race motor in the next few weeks. The motor will be based on an '07 2az-fe block:

Time Attack race motor:
Spec A Short Block:
- '05 2az-fe block (2.4L)
- Ptuning t-flanged ductile iron sleeved block
- Ptuning competition head studs
- Ptuning competition main studs
- Manley Turbo-tuff Tapered I-Beam 4340 forged rods
- CP Piston Forged 2618 shelf-piston 9:1 Compression
- ACL Race Series Main Bearings
- ACL Race Series Rod Bearings
- ACL Thrust Bearing
- Cometic Head Gasket
- Ptuning lightened and balanced factory forged crank
- Ptuning Balance-shaft eliminator

Spec A Cylinder Head:
- Ptuning port and polished cylinder head
- Supertech dual valve springs and seat
- Supertech Ti retainers
- Ptuning/Supertech Bronze-manganese valve guides
- Supertech viton/poly valve stem seals
- Ptuning/Supertech DLC-coated billet chromoly cam followers
- Ptuning Spec A turbo camshafts
- Ptuning 1mm oversize black nitrite-coated SS intake valves
- Ptuning 1mm oversize Inconel exhaust valves

With a preliminary tune on our Ptuning Time Attack Racing Turbo Kit running a Garrett GT3076R .82/AR at 19psi on 93 octane with or without water/meth injection, the car laid down 408.3 whp at 7800 rpm and 355.7 ft/lb TQ at 5000 rpm (dyno dynamics). With our cylinder head and camshafts, the engine is making peak power at redline of 7800 rpm. This tells us that our cylinder head can still make power beyond 7800 rpm. So not only is the 7800 rpm allowing us to achieve a much higher top speed at redline with stock gearing, but running the motor at redline also gives us the most HP. The engine revs extremely fast with the lightened crank--maybe too fast for street use.

Even at 400whp with an LSD, our driver Ross still has to modulate the throttle coming out of the corners, otherwise the 285s r-comp tires will break traction.

We will post more details and dyno charts in the coming weeks when we get the car back on the dyno for more testing. Now with more power on hand, we're seeing other components in the drive train starting to fail. We will be taking apart the stock tranny to figure out what caused 4th gear to fail and figure out what we will need to do to improve the factory tranny.

MrC

Old 10-06-2008, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

how much boost?

is that on race gas or pump?

Pump.

***edit, I see Mr C. just answered...

Also, waiting for a pricing to go up on the Motor builds. So, I can see how much I need to start setting aside.

+1 on improving the stock tranny. Everyone else has not improved anything on it seeing as how they have held in excess of 740whp on stock tranny. Could have just been a fluke tranny, but it wouldn't hurt for there to actually be an option to upgrade the shift-forks or something like that, just to save the race inspired from any downtime dealing with drivetrain.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

awesome news guys!!! Any picz or vids?
Old 10-06-2008, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by whorok305
awesome news guys!!! Any picz or vids?
Updated first post with pics and links to video.

MrC

Old 10-06-2008, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I think it's time for a Race Pack data logger, AIM Dash, Stack Display...something along those lines to replace the factory gauge cluster. Any idea on the direction your going to take to replace the 140mph limited reading on the factory gauges?

I've been wanting the AIM dash for the LONGEST time, as it actually interfaces with the Hydra Standalone system.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:58 PM

I think it's time for a Race Pack data logger, AIM Dash, Stack Display...something along those lines to replace the factory gauge cluster. Any idea on the direction your going to take to replace the 140mph limited reading on the factory gauges?

I've been wanting the AIM dash for the LONGEST time, as it actually interfaces with the Hydra Standalone system.
We will probably be running a RacePak IQ3 for next season along with a standalone ecu (not hydra, not ems). We thought about using the AIM MXL, but the new iq3 offered more features as standard for a similar price.

So are you and brian planning to run the TA series next season? We have a few local customers that are planning to build their car this winter to compete next season.

MrC

Old 10-06-2008, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just a question...lil off topic but.....what kind of bodykit did u guys put on the ptuning car??
Old 10-06-2008, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oem front and sides with kaminari back.. also have a splitter on the front.

what wheels are u guys running are those advans?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice ptuning! Congrats on the win!!!! And the motor sure seems healthy!! How's the idle?? 7800rpm would be insane... More info on the motor please and if you could do another vid of the car idling or running up to 7800 rpm that would be sweet!!
Old 10-06-2008, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya lets get a driving in car video on the street

Quick Reply: PTUNING/Lustine Wins 2008 Redline Time Attack Championship