Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

PTUNING/Lustine Wins 2008 Redline Time Attack Championship

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

awsome weekend! can't wait for more Scions to compete in the future.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member

very impressive...congrats fellas
Old 10-07-2008, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

It's nice to see more Scions in the racing scene and being successful! Congrats!
Old 10-07-2008, 03:37 AM
Music City Scions
SL Member

Thanks guys for all the kind words! You guys are really the ones making this car happen! Without consumers buy the parts there would be no reason for PTuning to build this car! So thank you guys!! I would also like to thank the PTuning Time Attack tC Sponsors:

-Lustine Scion www.lustinescion.com for the use of their Toyota Tundra tow vehicle, so we could to in style and comfort. For the OE parts we needed to rebuild the car and financial assistance to help cover the expense of running a undefeated, class winning race car!

-Progress Technology www.progressauto.com for their expert coilovers and sway bar. The car is truly amazing with their suspension pieces.

-Seibon Carbon www.seiboncarbon.com for their amazing carbon body work... light and strong, cant beat that!

-Hawk Performance www.hawkperformance.com for their super aggressive DTC-60 brake pads. They hauled the car down from mach speed in no time!

-Toyo Tires www.toyo.com for their competitive race-compound R-888 tires.

-Clutch Masters www.clutchmasters.com for their lightweight and super fast shifting stage 6.5 road race twin-clutch setup. This is possible the most amazing clutch ever, and can tolerate everything we throw at it!

-FIC www.fuelinjectorclinic.com for their new gas sucking 900cc saturated injectors.... because of them we may need a bigger fuel tank ;)

-Chris, from the www.thehotstickers.com for making the car stand out both on and off the track!

-The DriveShaft Shop www.driveshaftshop.com for their level 3.9 axles and supplying us with the billet slugs for our custom hubs.

-To Cuong for giving me the chance to drive the fastest modified FWD car in the country! To Toan for the best tunes in the world, and amazing fabrication! To Mike for making sure the team was making ends meet. To Brandon for his logistical genius. To Justin for reversing the "slow" scion stereotype with that Blown Xa! To William who can yank a tC motor in minutes! To Waquas, for keeping the car show worthy at ALL times. To Derell, Tommy, and everyone else for making it possible.

Guys, without the scion community, PTuning and our sponsors none of this would have happened! This is really a dream come true for me, and the PTuning crew! To win the first EVER Modified FWD Time Attack class championships is a spectacular achievement! PTuning should be known throughout the racing community as THE place to go for fast scions, and fast cars in general. We are now the shop to beat! and next year, our competitors better step it up a LOT because Version 3.0 is coming over the winter!!!

If any of you all are interested in trying out Time Attack please call or email PTuning! They have the knowledge and ability to help make even a Stock tC fast on track.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

you guys are my heroes great work and congrats to you all
Old 10-07-2008, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any pics of the hp, and tq curves from the dyno yet?
Old 10-07-2008, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Wow, I missed this thread .

I posted up some info in Travis's debut thread Sunday night, but didn't see this until now. Congrats on the win, I wish I could have stayed for the award ceremony, but leaving I didn't get home until 11:30pm and we left at 2:30pm. Stopped at Cracker Barrel in Manasses, you should know which one it is .

Congrats to everyone again, can't wait to see you guys on the track next season, I just might be racing against you guys next year.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ptuningcom
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
I think it's time for a Race Pack data logger, AIM Dash, Stack Display...something along those lines to replace the factory gauge cluster. Any idea on the direction your going to take to replace the 140mph limited reading on the factory gauges?

I've been wanting the AIM dash for the LONGEST time, as it actually interfaces with the Hydra Standalone system.
We will probably be running a RacePak IQ3 for next season along with a standalone ecu (not hydra, not ems). We thought about using the AIM MXL, but the new iq3 offered more features as standard for a similar price.

So are you and brian planning to run the TA series next season? We have a few local customers that are planning to build their car this winter to compete next season.

MrC

Sounds Great MrC.

And yeah, that is the plan I believe. I know that's the plan for me, I'm pretty sure Brian is probably going to take on the challenge as well. I have been trying to carefully select my mods, so they will help in the TA series. I might be in the Street class, not sure yet, I guess it all boils down to what I am able to accomplish with the car before the season starts.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by brett561tc
any pics of the hp, and tq curves from the dyno yet?
Below is a dyno graph of power we were running at VIR (Red) vs Nashville (Blue):

Red Graph (Preliminary tune):
------------
Ptuning Spec A 2AZ-FE short block: (BxSxC): 88.5mm x 96mm x 9.6:1
Ptuning Spec A cylinder head
Ptuning Spec A turbo camshafts
Ptuning TA Racing Turbo Kit
Garrett GT3076 .82 A/R

Blue Graph:
------------
Stock 2AZ-FE short block: (BxSxC): 88.5mm x 96mm x 9.6:1
Stock cylinder head
Stock camshafts
Ptuning TA Racing Turbo Kit
Garrett GT3076 .82 A/R

We will post more dyno graphs of the final tune in the near future once we swap in a new tranny for the TA tC.

MrC

Old 10-07-2008, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the graph looks good, and it pulls all the way to redline for sure! Can't wait to see the final tune on the beast!
Old 10-08-2008, 01:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very nice. almost 4k rpms of strong usable powerband of +300 hp, or tq. but to be quite honest with you, i think it has more in it. it looks very similar to my dyno. and my car has no headwork at all. im almost willing to bet that with more time spent on a tune, that car will see much more power.

can you give us any specs on those cams? lift, duration, and most important, price. :D also do you have an estimated price on head packages?
Old 10-08-2008, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Even at 400whp with an LSD, our driver Ross still has to modulate the throttle coming out of the corners, otherwise the 285s r-comp tires will break traction.

We will post more details and dyno charts in the coming weeks when we get the car back on the dyno for more testing. Now with more power on hand, we're seeing other components in the drive train starting to fail. We will be taking apart the stock tranny to figure out what caused 4th gear to fail and figure out what we will need to do to improve the factory tranny.

MrC
may i suggest that while you guys are taking apart the tranny, you please consider being the first to do a gear change in the form of the cammry final drive swap. i think it would be very beneficial to your setup. taller gears would really help in transferring power to the ground, seeing as the stock gearing revs too fast coming out of corners. also, being in the top of 4th, rather than the middle of 5th on the high speed part of the track will put you guys smack dab in the meat, and potatoes of your power band. just a suggestion.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats on the win
Old 10-08-2008, 04:28 PM

Even at 400whp with an LSD, our driver Ross still has to modulate the throttle coming out of the corners, otherwise the 285s r-comp tires will break traction.

We will post more details and dyno charts in the coming weeks when we get the car back on the dyno for more testing. Now with more power on hand, we're seeing other components in the drive train starting to fail. We will be taking apart the stock tranny to figure out what caused 4th gear to fail and figure out what we will need to do to improve the factory tranny.

MrC
may i suggest that while you guys are taking apart the tranny, you please consider being the first to do a gear change in the form of the cammry final drive swap. i think it would be very beneficial to your setup. taller gears would really help in transferring power to the ground, seeing as the stock gearing revs too fast coming out of corners. also, being in the top of 4th, rather than the middle of 5th on the high speed part of the track will put you guys smack dab in the meat, and potatoes of your power band. just a suggestion.
We are looking into the ring and pinion on a solara M/T but we are still trying to get the specs on the ratio as well as any potential fitment issues. Having taller gearing would give you higher speeds in each gear, but gearing along is not going to change the fact that you will still need to change gear just as often when accelerating--only extending the rev limit to give a wider spread of speed in each gear is going to reduce the number of shift between gears.

MrC

Old 10-08-2008, 04:36 PM

very nice. almost 4k rpms of strong usable powerband of +300 hp, or tq. but to be quite honest with you, i think it has more in it. it looks very similar to my dyno. and my car has no headwork at all. im almost willing to bet that with more time spent on a tune, that car will see much more power.

can you give us any specs on those cams? lift, duration, and most important, price. :D also do you have an estimated price on head packages?
We know there's more to be gain, that's why we mentioned it's a preliminary tune. Where' the link to your dyno graph?

We are still testing a few more cam profiles before we release the specs and pricing. These things take time but it will be worth the wait. We don't like to sell any product we make without first testing it out ourself. What looks good on paper may not perform in a real world scenario.

MrC

Old 10-08-2008, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MrC
We are looking into the ring and pinion on a solara M/T but we are still trying to get the specs on the ratio as well as any potential fitment issues. Having taller gearing would give you higher speeds in each gear, but gearing along is not going to change the fact that you will still need to change gear just as often when accelerating--only extending the rev limit to give a wider spread of speed in each gear is going to reduce the number of shift between gears.

MrC
specs are 3.94:1 for the 2006 camry, as opposed to the tc's 4.24:1.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We know there's more to be gain, that's why we mentioned it's a preliminary tune. Where' the link to your dyno graph?

We are still testing a few more cam profiles before we release the specs and pricing. These things take time but it will be worth the wait. We don't like to sell any product we make without first testing it out ourself. What looks good on paper may not perform in a real world scenario.

MrC
i agree. don't rush production by any means. i'd much rather have a product that has been thoroughly tested. besides, im not ready for them anyway. i just recently spent some money on new mods, so anything else will have to wait. i was just curious if you had any ballpark figures so i know how much to save up.

as for my dyno.

this was on 18psi, tuned on e-manage blue. as you can see were making roughly the same power at the point where my rev-limiter comes into play. and my head is stock. please dont think i'm trying to bash or slander, cause im not. i was simply stating that i think that theres alot more power to be had. sorry if it came across any other way.

also i noticed that you said that it made the same amount of power with or without water/meth injection. this part confuses and worries me as i have a w/m kit arriving friday. could you go into a little more detail on why there was no effect?

sorry again for all the questions, but you guys seem to really know what you are doing.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

please dont think i'm trying to bash or slander, cause im not. i was simply stating that i think that theres alot more power to be had. sorry if it came across any other way.
They know there is a lot more power. I think you missed the side note stating that they tuned the car just hours before the race, hit 408whp and called it a day.

also i noticed that you said that it made the same amount of power with or without water/meth injection. this part confuses and worries me as i have a w/m kit arriving friday. could you go into a little more detail on why there was no effect?
They tuned it without meth injection, then ran it with meth injection. Running it with meth injection, without factoring meth into the tuning, will give 0 benefit, other than providing somewhat of a safety net.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
please dont think i'm trying to bash or slander, cause im not. i was simply stating that i think that theres alot more power to be had. sorry if it came across any other way.
They know there is a lot more power. I think you missed the side note stating that they tuned the car just hours before the race, hit 408whp and called it a day.
i didn't miss it. i was just stating that i have confidence it will make more power at the same boost with more time on the dyno.

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
They tuned it without meth injection, then ran it with meth injection. Running it with meth injection, without factoring meth into the tuning, will give 0 benefit, other than providing somewhat of a safety net.
im hoping thats what happened, but thats not what it sounds like.

With a preliminary tune on our Ptuning Time Attack Racing Turbo Kit running a Garrett GT3076R .82/AR at 19psi on 93 octane with or without water/meth injection, the car laid down 408.3 whp at 7800 rpm and 355.7 ft/lb TQ at 5000 rpm (dyno dynamics).
Old 10-08-2008, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

That's what MrC told me Saturday at the track when I asked him about Meth. I think anyway, lol.

And about the power, he said he wants to get into the 500s.

Quick Reply: PTUNING/Lustine Wins 2008 Redline Time Attack Championship