Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

PTUNING/Lustine Wins 2008 Redline Time Attack Championship

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by brett561tc
this was on 18psi, tuned on e-manage blue. as you can see were making roughly the same power at the point where my rev-limiter comes into play. and my head is stock. please dont think i'm trying to bash or slander, cause im not. i was simply stating that i think that theres alot more power to be had. sorry if it came across any other way.

also i noticed that you said that it made the same amount of power with or without water/meth injection. this part confuses and worries me as i have a w/m kit arriving friday. could you go into a little more detail on why there was no effect?

sorry again for all the questions, but you guys seem to really know what you are doing.
Not a problem. Ask away, the more you know, the more educated you will be when purchasing your next performance component.

When we said with/or without meth injections we meant that we were able to achieve this power on pump 93 along. But for racing purposes, we opted to retune the car with meth/water injection to slow down the burn rate and help cool down the intake charge to prevent chances of detonation.

When you run race fuel or meth/water injection, you are actually slowing down the burn rate of the fuel as compare to pump gas, this slower burn rate, effectively increases the threshold before detonation and also lowers the combustion temp. The same thing can occurs when running overly rich. With a slower burn rate, you will need to increase timing advance to allow the intake charge to fully combust. With more ignition comes more power to a certain extent.

MrC

Old 10-08-2008, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so then i should make more power with my meth kit as long as i adjust the timing accordingly?
Old 10-08-2008, 06:48 PM

so then i should make more power with my meth kit as long as i adjust the timing accordingly?
In terms of forced induction, it will allow you to run more boost than pump gas will allow.

MrC

Old 10-08-2008, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ptuningcom
In terms of forced induction, it will allow you to run more boost than pump gas will allow.

MrC
well i cant really run too much more boost than that due to the fact that i only have rc 650cc injectors. i was thinking along the lines of the same boost without having to pull 8 degrees of timing. and not having my over active knock sensor retard any more timing either.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:44 PM

MrC
well i cant really run too much more boost than that due to the fact that i only have rc 650cc injectors. i was thinking along the lines of the same boost without having to pull 8 degrees of timing. and not having my over active knock sensor retard any more timing either.
With 650cc injectors you would be maxing out at ~340whp (dyno dynamics) at around 85-90%% duty cycle. You may want to bump up your static fuel pressure on your fuel regulator (assuming you're using one) to get more ouf of those injectors. Of course that will need a retune. There's no reason why your dyno graphs should have multiple peaks and valleys. If you'r knock sensor is causing your timing to pull, you need to have it retune so you never reach that point.

We'll be releasing our 900cc injectors shortly. That's the largest you can go on saturated injectors before moving to peak and hold injectors which will require a low-impedance injector driver.

MrC

Old 10-08-2008, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you all plan to release a bunch of stuff it sounds like! Any word/hint/clue on pricing?? If not thats cool, I can wait until the release....
Old 10-08-2008, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW! congratulations on the win guys. hopefully we will see you here in the west coast area.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by t_urbo_C_harged
you all plan to release a bunch of stuff it sounds like! Any word/hint/clue on pricing?? If not thats cool, I can wait until the release....
Be patient and don't spend all your savings on fuzzy dices, neon lights and other bling stuff, we'll be releasing a lot of performance products shortly.

MrC

Old 10-09-2008, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome, good job guys
Old 10-09-2008, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Be patient and don't spend all your savings on fuzzy dices, neon lights and other bling stuff, we'll be releasing a lot of performance products shortly.

MrC

gotcha! I won't!!! haha... not in to the "bling" factor anyway. I will have my eyes peeled watching you all! I know you wont disappoint! keep up the great work!!!

Stephen
Old 10-09-2008, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MrC
cool... thanks for saving me buying that purple fuzzy dice i was eyeing about in autozone. good thing i looked into this thread first before buying it tomorrow. LOL!!

i cant wait to see the spec list on your 07 race motor. oh yeah, are you guys planning on making an aluminum intake?
Old 10-09-2008, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Crap. How will I attract all the fly honeys without all of that, though?

I said it at the award ceremony and a couple threads on here already, but congrats again guys!

I'm pretty sure I'm actually in two of the pictures in this thread...
Old 10-09-2008, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I only see 1...
Old 10-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Music City Scions
SL Member

Trust me guys, the motor is amazing! the fact that it can rev higher and make numbers all the way to redline is insane! Without racing the redline the car would accelerate all the way to 140 so quickly and then I'd have to hold that all the way down the back straight. With the raised redline, there was nearly limitless power! As far as the camary final drive, I'm not sure its needed with the current setup. Since we can rev so high there is no need to increase the top speed though gearing. I will say though 1st and 2nd are unusable with all that power, and the car will even spin though 3rd if i get jumpy with the throttle.

With the head work done, the car sounds like a diesel truck! but as soon as you open up the throttle you can tell that the heads are amazing! From the stock motor to this one is a HUGE change, and really transformed the car. I have no doubt in my mind that once this motor, heads, cams are released people will LOVE them!!!!
Old 10-09-2008, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^Ok Ross no teasing!.....I'm going to need a video sound byte of the diesel truck sound....hehee.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

You didn't see the videos from VIR yet?
Old 10-10-2008, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
You didn't see the videos from VIR yet?
I did see the VIR vids, guess I didn't pay that much attention to the sound. But I would like to hear it at idle.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:57 PM

For those that have been following our RTA threads since Nashville, you all know we had an issue with overboosting to 30 psi when we were running the stock motor at Nashville. As a result of this, we we're running on only 3 cylinders when we competed at Summit Points. We finally had a chance to dissambled the stock motor and to our suprise, we not only lost cylinder #1, but we also broke the first ring land on cylinders #2 and #3. I'm still amaze that we we're able to beat our last years lap time by over 4 seconds at all at Summit Points and not to mentioned being able to place first considering the the damage to the motor. We broke the 1st and 2nd ring lands on cylinder #1 and destroyed the 2nd ring into 9 pieces.

Here's a few pics of the carnage from the stock motor:

I will be posting a few pictures of the destroyed 4th gear set in the tranny that occurred at VIR. We believe the damage to the 4th gear started at Summit Points and finally failed at VIR.

MrC

Old 10-20-2008, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Whoa, so 4th gear was completely decimated?
Old 10-20-2008, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Whoa, so 4th gear was completely decimated?
Let's put it this way. The drive and driven gears for 4th does not have one single tooth left on it. The broken teeth are all sitting at the bottom of the tranny. We speculate that the damage to 4th gear was a result of the impact on the drivetrain from the car catching air and landing on the straightway at Summit Points, just before approaching the carousel.

We will probably need to carry a spare tranny for next season. We will work on strenghtening the gears as well, either by Cryo or REM treating the gears. If that fails, we will need to look into engineering a stronger gear set--and that's not going to be cheap.

MrC

Quick Reply: PTUNING/Lustine Wins 2008 Redline Time Attack Championship