Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

PTUNING: PnP Water/Methanol Injection Kit now available!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
whats the difference between this and a generic AEM kit that goes for 450
I'm glad to see someone ask this question. The best analogy I have would be comparing an unassembled kit car sitting in your garage in a a few dozen boxes versus having a turn-key version that may only need a battery, fuel, and fluids to run.

The single most difficult part to PROPERLY install is the water pump. The reason for this is that it uses awkward tiny 4mm bolts for mounting (not even included in the regular AEM Kit). We tried many iterations of pump mounting locations before settling on the final location. Our pump location keeps the pump low enough to making pump- priming a non issue and keeps the length of plastic water lines short (the shorter the lines the fewer the possible points for failure). Btw, the pump will clear VRD fog lights too. Our WMI pump features a weather-pack style connector that plugs directly into the main PnP harness.

Secondly, if you were to get the AEM kit with one-gallon reservoir, you cannot simply remove the low-water level sensor to use with your factory reservoir. That is because the sensor is glued to the AEM reservoir. Our kit uses a factory reservoir friendly water level sensor and it's exact placement has been tested for you. Our level sensor also features a weather-pack style connector that plugs directly into the main PnP harness.

The main unit features a laser etched (PTUNING logo) bracket that mounts to the brake master cylinder reservoir to allow for easy adjustments to the WMI controller and also prevents the need to run long lengths of vacuum tubing into the cabin (in cases where the controller in mounted inside the car). The power connections to our failsafe relay and WMI controller are pre-fused and allow for a direct plug-in to the factory engine fuse box (no ugly and unreliable connections needed to the positive terminal of the battery). Even the ground wire has a pre-attached connector to allow for a direct bolt-on to one of the existing factory ground clusters for ease of installation and perfect grounding point.

The standard AEM kit features a failsafe output on the WMI controller, but unless you know what to do with it, no one ever bothers to even make a connection to it. What we've done is integrated a relay (mounts using a factory bolt lacation) to allow you to use make use of this very useful controller output.

The standard kit has no rocker switches or anything to activate the WMI controller. Our kit features a pre-wired PnP (fits factory switch panel) rocker switch to allow for activation of the WMI control and EBC solenoid. We've even included another pre-wired tap-a-fuse connection to provide a switched power source, without having to make a messy t-tap connection into the factory wiring cluster.

Lastly, the standard AEM kit will need a LOT of wiring to make it all work on the tC. We've extended the wires going from the WMI controller to the pump, level sensor, and even LED. What you don't see are the large number of wires going back and forth through all the branches of the pre-assembled wiring loom.

I can assure you that even after we created the schematics for the PnP wiring loom, it's actual assembly still takes a LOT, and I mean a LOT of time to put together. Everything from taping to soldering to crimping to heat shriinking is involved in the assembly process. Unfortunately, it's not as easy as slipping Boomslang a bill and asking them to ship us back a completed PnP harness. We have to make these things in-house.

Anyhow, sorry everyone for the long response. I guess I just spent way too much time on this WMI project and wanted to give you guys all the drity little details.

- Toan
Old 03-22-2009, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Toan -- Since I have the Air/Brake ducts in my front bumper, I actually had to remove the factory fluid tank. How much of a hassle would it be for your PnP WMI kit to use the AEM tank?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Toan -- Since I have the Air/Brake ducts in my front bumper, I actually had to remove the factory fluid tank. How much of a hassle would it be for your PnP WMI kit to use the AEM tank?
Travis, since our turbo system frees up the space where factory airbox is, it may be possible to locate the AEM 1 gallon reservoir in that location. Worst case scenario though, you can always put the AEM tank or even the factory reservoir in the trunk and run the lines to the pump in the front. We can certainly help you out with the details whenever you're ready.

Btw, your car looks to be coming along nicely. Way to step up and represent. We're looking forward to seeing a lot more tC's at the TA events this season.

- Toan
Old 03-22-2009, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ptuning_tuner
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Travis, since our turbo system frees up the space where factory airbox is, it may be possible to locate the AEM 1 gallon reservoir in that location. Worst case scenario though, you can always put the AEM tank or even the factory reservoir in the trunk and run the lines to the pump in the front. We can certainly help you out with the details whenever you're ready.

Btw, your car looks to be coming along nicely. Way to step up and represent. We're looking forward to seeing a lot more tC's at the TA events this season.

- Toan

Awesome! Thanks Toan. Can't wait to get up there to see the facility.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

you plannng comin down here rythmn?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah when I get the kit, want to have them tune it as well.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Nice should have a TA TC get together there
Old 03-23-2009, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

True that.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

I got i question...

This where to get the methanol for the kit to refill it ?

also when factory windown washer tank is used will it still work for the windows ?

i'm jsut not sure how this works but thinking about getting this kit to help my dezod intercooler run higher boost.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RusWolf
I got i question...

This where to get the methanol for the kit to refill it ?

also when factory windown washer tank is used will it still work for the windows ?

i'm jsut not sure how this works but thinking about getting this kit to help my dezod intercooler run higher boost.
We recommend you use standard blue windshield washer fluid (inexpensive and readily available). It is about 30-40 percent methanol. Our PnP kit is designed to utilize a full gallon of WM before tripping the low level sensor. Even after the low level sensor comes on, you will still have enough fluid remaining in the reservoir to use your windshield washer nozzles.

We use this same WMI kit on our 500+WHP, 93 pump gas, Time Attack tC. WMI can certainly help to improve charge density and reduce the onset of detonation on any forced induction car. WMI allows you to safely run a little more timing and quite a bit more boost, ultimately resulting in more power.

- Toan
Old 06-19-2009, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Ok cool...
for example when someone runs out of WM is it still safe to drive the car in boost without it ?
Old 06-19-2009, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

What kind of results did you get with the kit on the supercharged tc?
Old 06-19-2009, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by RusWolf
Ok cool...
for example when someone runs out of WM is it still safe to drive the car in boost without it ?
It depends on how the car is tuned and if there are options used with the WM kit.

Some people use the WM kit for added cooling and safety, but still maintain a conservative tune. Others run a very aggressive tune since it's similar to running racing fuel. If you have an aggressive tune that takes advantage of the WM injection, then running out of fluid could be bad.

The kit comes with a light that lets you know when injection is engaged and if there are any issues or you're low on fluid. You can also use the controller to send a signal to the engine management to retard timing or default to a safe tune (kind of like limp mode) when the WM controller senses a problem or low fluid.

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory...CategoryID=120
OTHER COOL STUFF

You don’t have to worry whether AEM has your application because the Water / Methanol Injection Kit is designed to be universal for practically any vehicle. It includes everything you need to adapt it to your steed. Critical safety features are integrated into the system to virtually eliminate any chance of failure, including an integral fluid level sensor in the reservoir, a dash light to warn of low fluid level or error codes (including short circuits, battery voltage and more), and an additional output to either decrease ignition timing or boost if the system detects low fluid levels or a system error.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by b52hDUNN
What kind of results did you get with the kit on the supercharged tc?

I was able to get 237whp on Ptuning's dyno with the 12psi pulley, Ptuning exhaust, and GReddy Ultimate. It's still a very conservative tune, mainly to prevent going through gallons of methanol during daily driving. It's currently set up to start injecting at 6psi. I'm using Snow Performance's Boost Juice, and haven't gone through one gallon since the kit was installed.

After I get Gompka's s/c shaft installed, I'd like to get back on their dyno for a more aggressive tune. I'd like to have more power for daily driving and have a second map for track use.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:18 PM

Does this kit come with a tank?
Old 10-11-2009, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Aha, so basically with a standalone i can set the WMI to start spraying at lets say 10 psi ? and have a parrarel tune to use without WMI if/when it runs out ?
Old 10-11-2009, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

yes but also depends on your standalone and how you set it up..
Old 10-11-2009, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

There are several people here that sell AEM EMS for a decent price, so i think i might pick one of those up. If not, then i'll just buy either Haltec or the new EMS from Dezod.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Signature Visions
SL Member

this is sick! now this may get me to take the 6 hour ride again all the best Ptuning!
Old 05-11-2012, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I know what my next upgrade will be... :D

Will this play nice with a Greddy Emanage(Blue)? Or do I have to use the AEM Unit?