Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Putting together my own turbo kit under $2000

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TimmerTC
I just need to know if my stock clutch will hold out for any amount of time on 4 psi.
Only one way to find out

We should place bets on what will last longer - stock clutch or your motor with your planned setup
Old 07-08-2011, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stock clutch will hold 4 psi no problems - theres a local tc Ive worked on that just started having his slip at 9 psi on a 60 trim t3/t4 on an older TurboToyotas kit. Id highly recommend just getting a FIC and doing it right from the beginning. Just save up a lil bit longer.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trd07tc
Only one way to find out

We should place bets on what will last longer - stock clutch or your motor with your planned setup

As I stated before I won't keep it this way unless I can get my a/f ratio to stay somewhat decent. If my a/f ratio isn't cutting it for me I'll hold off until Ican buy the fic. I have a 96 s10 I can drive around if I need to have my car down for a little bit. My brother-in-law has run a .60 trim on his klze-mx6 for the last 4 years on 9 psi with no tune and just watching his a/f, with no problems at all. His clutch is what gave out a 8 psi.

Just trying to get all the feedback I can
Old 07-08-2011, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
Stock clutch will hold 4 psi no problems - theres a local tc Ive worked on that just started having his slip at 9 psi on a 60 trim t3/t4 on an older TurboToyotas kit. Id highly recommend just getting a FIC and doing it right from the beginning. Just save up a lil bit longer.

Yeah I just need to search a little more for a decent priced used one
Old 07-08-2011, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did the ZPI stage 0 or 1 kit come with engine management? I don't plan on running without a tune for too long. I'm sure I'll end up finding an fic sooner than I think
Old 07-08-2011, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TimmerTC
will the stock 370's handle 4 psi? If so I'm gonna use the money reserved for the for the 440's for the clutch unless you think the clutch will handle 4 psi for a while.
Maybe, but your AFR will be on the lean side and really lean out if you max the inj's. I'd rather risk losing a clutch than an engine.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Overall you could do this with the amount you stated previously but always have funds ready for when something unexpected occurs.

You can find an FIC or Eman for low price it just takes time and luck.
The stock ECu will compensate for the changes in AFR by adjusting the fuel trims and try to keep everything in factory parameters. But of course you know a proper tune is needed to take full advantage of your setup.

Like others have said the stock clutch can take about 9psi or 300 hp before it gets mad and quits playing. But with 440cc's and such low boost you won't have a problem with it.

Keep us updated on your progression.

Last edited by GUNNIST14; 07-08-2011 at 04:23 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well to your question on MAF placement it depends on your setup.
-Blow-thru or Conventional sensor on the intake pipe running to the Compressor housing.

Blow-thru offers more precise readings,better spool,proper use of BOV dumping to atmosphere,less lag or restriction. With this it goes Throttle body,MAF,BOV

-Conventional setup offers safer operation of turbo meaning the compressor is not exposed to an open engine bay. Recirculating the BOV back into the intake stream for stealth operation but can cause fluctuations and cause false readings or in some cases the car stalls out. This is MAF sensor on the intake pipe with a air filter and then BOV on the pipe running to the Throttle body.

Overall for better performance and drivability. Blow-thru is the way
Whew this is long winded hope we helped you out.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine was blow thru and it ran just like stock. i had stock injectors, untuned, tial wg, evo III 16g.
like gunnist said i think you should aim for blow thru and VTA bov.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GUNNIST14
Well to your question on MAF placement it depends on your setup.
-Blow-thru or Conventional sensor on the intake pipe running to the Compressor housing.

Blow-thru offers more precise readings,better spool,proper use of BOV dumping to atmosphere,less lag or restriction. With this it goes Throttle body,MAF,BOV

-Conventional setup offers safer operation of turbo meaning the compressor is not exposed to an open engine bay. Recirculating the BOV back into the intake stream for stealth operation but can cause fluctuations and cause false readings or in some cases the car stalls out. This is MAF sensor on the intake pipe with a air filter and then BOV on the pipe running to the Throttle body.

Overall for better performance and drivability. Blow-thru is the way
Whew this is long winded hope we helped you out.

Definitely! So far you guys have been most helpful
Old 07-08-2011, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone run the competition stage 2 clutch kit? Any thoughts on puck style clutches, I was told they have a tendency to chatter. It seems as though every clutch that looks like it's worth a damn is a puck style.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:01 AM

Wow I just finished reading thru this thread and just wow..... okay first off NEVER NEVER NEVER run a car untuned its just common freaking sense. A the first thing is please don't even think about going down the road of getting by with an ebay turbo kit for your tC, its only going to cause an a$$ ton of problems. B without any sort of Engine Management at all dont even think about installing a turbo kit. C I read up above that someone stated 440cc injectors? Not even close enough to being able to handle the duty cycles and latency that is required during boost at WOT. And finally D how do I know all of this? Do I really know what im talking about or am I just blowing smoke up all of your @$$'s? Well I had a 2008 tC that went through 4 different turbo kits/set ups, 3 different companies and worked very closely with Paul and Don at Dezod and Jason at Treadstone. I learned over the years to tune and to fabricate, because I worked so closely with Paul and Jason in learning everything I could I now have my own Dyno Shop. So in hind sight to the OP if you cant afford the kit that has been tested and known to work that is a complete install and pretune map to have you set to drive to a tuner and then get tuned, then you shouldnt be even thinking about turbo at all. And a properly tuned tC at 10 psi will eat your stock clutch alive if you want something with OEM street-ablility by an ACT HDSS or something similar that is a Single Disc Sprung set up. Any pucked clutch is going to have chatter and a harsh engagement no matter what. If you are looking for a good price on a used Turbo kit tho let me know I do have 3 Dezod S1 kits at my shop 2 without management and 1 with an AEM Standalone. The biggest thing in turboing a NA factory car is research research research. Good luck on your quest to find power but ABSOLUTELY STAY AWAY from Ebay "kits"
Old 07-10-2011, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oy Vey! ...
Old 07-10-2011, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah man, I'm really starting to rethink everything anyways. I want to do everything right the first time around. From reading over everything I've posted I sound really impatient, the only thing that's gonna get me is my s___ jacked up. I can just see it, me cruising and deciding to get on it when all of a sudden POOOOOFFF! If I save a little longer and wait until income tax I'll be golden, my camaro ran 11 psi and wasn't tuned so it can be done but I don't think I want to take the chance. Did I mention I have the worst luck ever! Ok my mind is made up, COME INCOME TAX TIME THE TURBO WILL BE MINE, done and tuned properly of course by asap performance. Thanks everyone for your input it was much appreciated and I'll keep you updated
Old 07-11-2011, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MR makes valid points but if you running a certain inj size or a clutch with certain torque capacity you have stay within those limits until you can progress or update. Pertaining to the 440cc's if you are hitting WOT at mid-high boost then of course they will reach their limit. Also the principle of RESEARCH is very true and can't be understated. This automotive culture is my passion so I love this but most just do it for a hobby. Love and live it.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for clearing up some of the smoke. Obviously everything has limits and exceeding them is not wise. Despite some incorrect info posted here, 440cc injectors are fine for low boost like 4-6 psi just as the stock clutch is good for a certain torque level but not more.

Not that any of this matters anymore since the OP has realized that he hadn't thought his plans through very well.

Last edited by ScionFred; 07-11-2011 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright! Aem fic with harness acquired for $300. Ok, well one of the most important pieces of my puzzle purchased. Now to order the turbo and bring it down to Mikes Turbos in Miami for some new Garret internals.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good deal on the FIC and harness. Good luck with your boost project.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Dont turbo if your going to cheap out! Dont buy parts to run without a tune to just go buy new ones so you can run more hp with a tune!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Good deal on the FIC and harness. Good luck with your boost project.
Much grass man! thank you for the help

Quick Reply: Putting together my own turbo kit under $2000