Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Question about the S/C Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default Question about the S/C Assembly

Hey Guys, I was thinking about something to maybe help out the temperature of the S/C assembly. I'm currently sending out my Megan Header out to jet-hot to get coated with the semi-glossy black coating. Obviously this would lower the header temperature, especially since it's close to the S/C shaft.
But do you guys think it would be worth it to also jet-hot the S/C assembly? It would lower the temperature of the assembly, and possibly be better for it. I'm just thinking of a way to help the S/C work more efficiently. I was planning on maybe powdercoating the S/C for looks, but I think this would be better. Any opinions or any help would be appreciated.

Here are the parts I'm talking about. The part that is on the right would probably be more difficult since it's connected to the shaft...

NOTE: I don't want people to come in here and talk about how the S/C is a piece of caca and what not. If I had the money to get the TT Kit, I totally would have done it. But this is going to be my first F/I car, and a turbo is a little more work for a person who doesn't understand all the dynamics that goes into a turbo. I'm a total newbie when it comes to that.

-Thanks,
2_much
Old 01-05-2008, 09:32 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I dont think it would help. It would keep internal temps IN, and not allw the heatdissipate out.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Banned
SL Member

^ i kinda get what you're saying, but at the same time i dont... care to further explain? or anyone else for that matter?
Old 01-05-2008, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

The jet coat insulates the outside of the pipe keeping heat on the inside. If you jet coat the blower assy. it will cause the heat to not escape.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Banned
SL Member

^ thanks kik, i think i am better off just powdercoating the assembly for looks. if anyone else wants to chime in too, that would be awesome...
Old 01-05-2008, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Would the powdercoating though cause a similar effect? It would be best to just polish it. Plus its just another thing toyota can say voided the warranty.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Banned
SL Member

well, i believe the powdercoating would just be on the outside, unlike the jet-hot which would be both inside and out (according to my understanding of what they will be doing to my header).
I was thinking about the whole warranty thing also, but I don't see how that would affect any parts. I maybe wrong. I'm gonna ask the dealers I'm thinking of installing them at to see if that would cause any problems...
Old 01-05-2008, 10:37 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I think there would be a warranty issue wit jet hot, not sure about powdercoating. They easily could say the coating caused excessive heat, and that in return caused the bearings/oil/seals to go prematurely.

And if you think about it, it would be hard t argue, because it can happen.
Next time you drive your car, get out andtouch the supercharger, its to hot to touch. If you jet hot it, the heat will not escape and the internal heat will go crazy. Same might happen with powdercoating.
Even sean myhbuters where they paint Jamie gold and monitor his body heat, it could have killed him because it didnt allow the het dissipate out of him to the outside air, and in return cool his inides.