Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Question about swapping ZPI Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Default Question about swapping ZPI Manifold

Has anyone swapped out their manifold, without swapping turbo's? I was talking to a friend and he says the 16G's zpi made their kits with are T3 flanged, is this true? I'm tired of the leaks and sheer ugliness of my manifold and would like to go with something different, but don't have the cash to get something custom made. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if this has been answered already, I apologize, didn't see anything when I searched.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Im sure the Greddy manifold will work, without swapping turbos becuase they use a 18g, HOWEVER, because your using an external wastegate, you would have to have an external wastegate welded on it. Its been done.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same issue, mine cracked in the middle, had it re-welded at zpi, cracked again, and my wg flange is warped. Even with a copper gasket there is still a 1/8th inch gap left.

I thought about contacting treadstone and seeing if they would cast one with the proper flanges, you might wanna try that route.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

mine hasn't cracked yet, but its only a matter of time. I have the warping issue on both flanges.... Maybe I'll ask dezod.... they seem to be doing awesome shizz these days.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

try calling full race and talking to geoff about it because i have talked to him in the past and he said that he made acouple batches of manifolds for kenny b4 he can help you out with anything you need...
Old 11-24-2007, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

zpi manifolds are dsm flanged, not t3. no other manifold would fit. start looking into a new kit.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I don't want a new kit... hence trying to find a manifold. I like the quick spooling of the 16G,
Old 11-24-2007, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a turbo toyotas stage 1 with a gt28rs will spool just as quick. only other thing you can try is having a manifold custom fabed to fit up to your zpi kit. you cant use a manifold off of another kit because the flange for the turbo wont be in the exact same spot, and wont line up.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Question about swapping ZPI Manifold

Originally Posted by yeldak
Has anyone swapped out their manifold, without swapping turbo's? I was talking to a friend and he says the 16G's zpi made their kits with are T3 flanged, is this true? I'm tired of the leaks and sheer ugliness of my manifold and would like to go with something different, but don't have the cash to get something custom made. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if this has been answered already, I apologize, didn't see anything when I searched.
Count me in I feel you....

I've had the Stage 0 for 1 1/2 years now and have probably gone through no less than a dozen manifold gasket changes I even tried using 2 gaskets but it still leaks carbon. The gasket always ends up been warped... FARK TIS **** Lousy design from a lousy manufacturer.

The 2 middle runners (cyl chamber 2,3) are the leak points and when I looked at the ZPI manifold, these runners inlets are constricted by the inner welds. They're smaller than runners 1 & 4. WTF! I guess the pressure buildup is forcing the exhaust gases through the gasket and it doesn't help since the stock manifold does not have a stud in the middle to bolt the turbo manifold down to the head, hence the weakest spot for leak to penetrate through!

I tried to find a replacement manifold as well but no success except custom. Brett561tc is right, I'll seriously look at Todd's setup to replace ZPI turd turbo....

When you leak, your tune is slightly out of whack and full boost takes slightly longer to achieve, so you are working the turbo harder, not good in the long run.

And of course, the carbon marks spoiling my beautiful powdercoated valve cover makes me even more ____ed off each time I see a leak....

I'm sick of this ****.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mikescion
try calling full race and talking to geoff about it because i have talked to him in the past and he said that he made acouple batches of manifolds for kenny b4 he can help you out with anything you need...
I assume my manifold was made by FullRace since it was made during April-May 06? Read my earlier comments about the constrictions in the middle runners, the internal welds.

No way I'm talking to Geoff if truly he's the guy who screwed up in the intial stage of fabrication. I'll look at Todd's setup as mentioned, the quality and standup character of TT would give me a piece of mind... I hope.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has anyone tried using one of those BoBo "Felpro" gaskets?
they seem like they would be thicker and cushier(?) than the OEM styled ones.

the only other thing i can think of would be the ATP Manifold, it looks identical to the ZPI but is cast steel.

OOP...my bad just checked it out its not the same, its T3 flanged and the wastegate flange is in a different location.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

you can't use the thicker gaskets, the studs on the manifold wouldn't be long enough then. I was going to re-use the gasket I got with my megan header, but couldn't get the bolts started, probably could have with some force, but didn't want to risk stripping it and having to replace the stud.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

My manifold was made by fullrace, and i didnt have any manifold issues. no leaking, craking, etc. But i would talk to full race about a replacement if you decide to keep it.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Whocares05050
My manifold was made by fullrace, and i didnt have any manifold issues. no leaking, craking, etc. But i would talk to full race about a replacement if you decide to keep it.
Yes please You the man Let me know if they could fabricate a direct replacement for the ZPI manifold, I like the 16g spool still. Better still with the JetHot Blue coating that I had previously.

If they could make a defect, leak free manifold using back the ZPI jigs, I'll be on it like maggots to a dead fish.....

Change your nick to "Icare05050" as I really appreciate this help you're giving the community and me.

PM me if anything

I'm just so sick of this leak problem I have.....
Old 11-25-2007, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Whocares05050
Hey whats up bro! didn't know you still frequented these forums!
how can i tell if my manifold was built by fullrace or ZPI i thought they were ALL built by fullrace...
Old 11-25-2007, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will have an a ZPI upgrade manifold with the Mitsu flange in a few weeks

Just thought I would throw that in there ;)

Regards-

Todd
Old 11-25-2007, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watching
Old 11-25-2007, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by TurboToyotas
I will have an a ZPI upgrade manifold with the Mitsu flange in a few weeks

Just thought I would throw that in there ;)

Regards-

Todd

Todd FTMFW!!!! will this place the turd-bo in the same location? or would we all need to redo our piping!
Old 11-25-2007, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turbo will sit in the same location

Regards-

Todd
Old 11-26-2007, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is it going to be log style manifold ?