Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Questions about Dezod S1

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Questions about Dezod S1

Does anyone have a picture of the Dezod S1 installed on their car? The one on Dezod's website shows it without recirculating. My questions is does the kit actually vent to atmosphere or recirculate? If it vents to atmosphere does anyone have a issue with stalling or backfires? I am torn between Dezod or Ptuning tune my car. Ptuning is closer but Dezod is cheaper.
I have TT kit I am going to installed and the previous owner didn't recirculate.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:20 AM
SL Member

Yes it vents to the atmospere.
No I don't have issues with backfires or stalling, if I did I would take it back to the tune shop and tell them to redo it correctly.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you have Dezod do it?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:23 AM
SL Member

given that I'm half way across the country from them, no. I had National Speed out of Wilmington, NC do it since they are roughly 2 hours away from my location.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

They are in NY, I am in WV and they are like 8hours from me. Ptuning is like 5ish away.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:35 AM
SL Member

Understand you don't have to have either Dezod or Ptuning actually tune the vehicle. You just need to find someone local that is capable of tuning the AEM FIC in the case of Dezod and what ever system that Ptuning uses. That is where I ran into my biggest problem with doing my kit, finding a competent tuner locally. There are a lot of performance shops in my area but they either focus on domestics and won't touch an import, focus on a very select import line and won't deal with Toyota/Scion or have absolutely no clue what they are doing.

I would suggest going around to your local shops and see who can help you out on the tuning and then get the kit based on that.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a shop an hour away but they only do domestics. There is a guy I know who can do it but is not a AEM FIC certified tuner. I don't mind the drive, I want someone who will tune it right and not cause me to grenade my motor.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:17 AM
SL Member

I can understand that concept.
I'm assuming that when you say 5 hours you mean Washington DC. You should try looking down in North Carolina. I got to talking to a shop that installed my Star Specs this winter and there is a tuner somewhere in Raleigh (4 hours from Beckley) and several tuners in Charlotte (3 hours depending on what part you go to). They actually recommended one guy who does majority of race prep tuning in Charlotte but I can't find his information right now.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

5 hours was Manassas, Va(PTuning) I will look into that guy in Raliegh.

thanks
Old 03-12-2012, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by headlessmunky
Does anyone have a picture of the Dezod S1 installed on their car? The one on Dezod's website shows it without recirculating. My questions is does the kit actually vent to atmosphere or recirculate? If it vents to atmosphere does anyone have a issue with stalling or backfires? I am torn between Dezod or Ptuning tune my car. Ptuning is closer but Dezod is cheaper.
I have TT kit I am going to installed and the previous owner didn't recirculate.
I'm confused? You said Dezod was cheaper? Are you referring to the price of the Tune? Is it cheaper to drive 8hrs + cost of tune or to drive 5hrs + cost of tune? You have to factor in the drive into your cost as well, not just the cost of the tune itself.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:29 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
I'm confused? You said Dezod was cheaper? Are you referring to the price of the Tune? Is it cheaper to drive 8hrs + cost of tune or to drive 5hrs + cost of tune? You have to factor in the drive into your cost as well, not just the cost of the tune itself.
It is cheaper by about $750 kit per kit.

Now here's the good part. BOTH kits use the AEM FIC. So in theroy who ever tunes the Dezod kit should be able to tune the Ptuning one as well. So with that in mind, in theory, you could install the Dezod kit and then take it to Ptuning and have them tune it for you. Not sure how well you would be recieved at their door step but I did say theory not reality.

With that said Ptuning's website also has a list of authorized dealers and there is one that is just north of Columbus OH. Not much better than Mananas but it is closer.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Esh Darkstar
It is cheaper by about $750 kit per kit.

Now here's the good part. BOTH kits use the AEM FIC. So in theroy who ever tunes the Dezod kit should be able to tune the Ptuning one as well. So with that in mind, in theory, you could install the Dezod kit and then take it to Ptuning and have them tune it for you. Not sure how well you would be recieved at their door step but I did say theory not reality.

With that said Ptuning's website also has a list of authorized dealers and there is one that is just north of Columbus OH. Not much better than Mananas but it is closer.

The OP said he had a TT kit though,.or did I read that wrong. It didn't sound like he was talking about what kit to buy. The second thing is, the PTuning kit shouldn't be compared to a Dezod S1. The Alpha kit that Dezod offers is what you will want to compare with a PTuning kit. The Alpha setup is listed cheaper as well, but that is also not a 100% complete bolt and go setup. It will take additional purchases to complete it. I think they are offering a bolt and go alpha, or was about to, but I'm not sure on the price of it. I imagine it will be price the same as the Ptuning and Descendants turbo systems.

If you are closer to Ptuning then its a bit of a no brainer.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:03 AM
SL Member

Shoot, I misread his post. I thought he said the original owner was going to install a TT but didn't. Regardless, I still stand by what I said, there has to be someone closer that can tune it. I see no benefit in having either company do the tuning.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Esh Darkstar
Shoot, I misread his post. I thought he said the original owner was going to install a TT but didn't. Regardless, I still stand by what I said, there has to be someone closer that can tune it. I see no benefit in having either company do the tuning.
I live in TN. There are plenty of competent Timers in the Atlanta, GA area which is about a 4hr drive from me. I went the opposite direction and drove 11hrs to Ptuning and 11hrs back home if that says anything about the respect people have for them. I'm not the only one either.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:58 AM
SL Member

I live in TN. There are plenty of competent Timers in the Atlanta, GA area which is about a 4hr drive from me. I went the opposite direction and drove 11hrs to Ptuning and 11hrs back home if that says anything about the respect people have for them. I'm not the only one either.
So what? For everyone that has trailered their car to either Dezod or Ptuning there are 10 people that have taken there rides to a local shop, what does that prove? Nothing. You and everyone else that took your cars across the country didn't do it because you respect them, you did it because there was a perceived value in the services they render that was greater than the cost of taking your car across the country, getting a hotel room and the act of tuning the car. If you didn't believe the cost was worth it then you would have done it locally. While you may also respect the shop it was the value that took you there. I personally don't find the costs worth the end result when I can get the exact same results from the shop two hours away.

Here's a real simple exercise that will prove my point. Instead of DC (Mananas is DC) would you have taken your car to say Seattle? Or how about Tokyo?
Old 03-13-2012, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^Wow...really? Sounds like you know me and my thoughts and have it all figured out. No need to take any of the experiences or advice from any of us senior members here. I must have missed that memo that its your way and everyone else are just idiots. They (Dezod) have only been around here since there was a F/I section. And Ptuning...oh well they have only just built their own race car tC and won back to back championships with it. You right nothing to respect at all.../sarcasm.

The differences IN CASE YOU are to blind to.realize is that no one discredited their local shops because they have or had poor quality, its that they prefer to travel to the shop that Specializes (key word is specialize) in the Scion tC platform.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

They (Dezod) have only been around here since there was a F/I section.
Travis you know i love ya bro but this isn't true. they started with the 7th gen civic, also their s1 is on Dan Gardners car. Yes i know they didn't build that specific car but their products on their car. i just don't think it's fair to take away from dezod just because your preference is Ptuning. i love both companies personally and don't think either deserve to have anything taken away. If i misunderstood what you meant i'm sorry and just ignore this.

also their kit has been around since jump, and their are more dezod kits out there then ptuning kits.

if you want a link to the pnp alpha (which should be comprared to the SS kit with a GT and not the regular RS kit by the by) here it is
http://www.dezod.com/pd-dezod-motorsports-alpha.cfm

no disrespect meant Travis just clearing up an injustice.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Syldrin
Travis you know i love ya bro but this isn't true. they started with the 7th gen civic, also their s1 is on Dan Gardners car. Yes i know they didn't build that specific car but their products on their car. i just don't think it's fair to take away from dezod just because your preference is Ptuning. i love both companies personally and don't think either deserve to have anything taken away. If i misunderstood what you meant i'm sorry and just ignore this.

also their kit has been around since jump, and their are more dezod kits out there then ptuning kits.

if you want a link to the pnp alpha (which should be comprared to the SS kit with a GT and not the regular RS kit by the by) here it is
http://www.dezod.com/pd-dezod-motorsports-alpha.cfm

Umm....my fellow brethren, I know where Dezod started. I was only speaking in relation to Scion. All of the shops they cater to our community "started" before our community. I was only speaking in terms of our forum...

So yes, you have misunderstood. It's all good though. And yes I know DG runs Dezod, just like I know they ran the TRD Supercharger.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was referring to the cost of a tune. I just want someone who knows Scions and our engines to tune it. I might give PTuning a call today.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Syldrin<br />
Travis you know i love ya bro but this isn't true. they started with the 7th gen civic, also their s1 is on Dan Gardners car. Yes i know they didn't build that specific car but their products on their car. i just don't think it's fair to take away from dezod just because your preference is Ptuning. i love both companies personally and don't think either deserve to have anything taken away. If i misunderstood what you meant i'm sorry and just ignore this.<br />
<br />
also their kit has been around since jump, and their are more dezod kits out there then ptuning kits.<br />
<br />
if you want a link to the pnp alpha (which should be comprared to the SS kit with a GT and not the regular RS kit by the by) here it is<br />
http://www.dezod.com/pd-dezod-motorsports-alpha.cfm<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Umm....my fellow brethren, I know where Dezod started. I was only speaking in relation to Scion. All of the shops they cater to our community "started" before our community. I was only speaking in terms of our forum...<br />
<br />
So yes, you have misunderstood. It's all good though. And yes I know DG runs Dezod, just like I know they ran the TRD Supercharger.
Oh my bad man jumped the gun.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Questions about Dezod S1