Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Reaching the end of my sanity...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Reaching the end of my sanity...

Ok, so after almost four weeks now I've officially given up on my Dezod kit. I'm almost certain there's nothing wrong with any parts, but issues are very apparent and persist with no end. Here is a running list of my problems, and the steps I've taken to diagnose issues.

-Turbo leaks oil from manifold and downpipe connections on the turbo. Sent to turbonetics, said it's fine. Reinstalled; problem persists. Cut almost four inches off the return line, and drained some oil thinking that the pan tap was too low, problem stopped for a while, then today it started AGAIN. Pictures of the feed line and return line below.

-Car is running way to rich. This is with the 550cc injectors and emanage installed. Pulled the emanage and injectors and replaced with stock, idles fine. Put in the emanage, leans out a bit from the injector correction on the emanage. Put in the aftermarket injectors with the emanage, runs a 10.0 afr, literally squirts paritally burned fuel (and maybe some oil) from the turbo downpipe and manifold connections. Pulled the emanage and left the 550cc injectors, runs rich obviously However, after the car has heated up sufficiently and the metal expands the connection is sealed so there are no exhaust or liquid leaks. Looked at the emanage map, it's fine. Emanage has activity light that blinks. Harness is in working order. Also, the ecu throws no codes whatsoever.

I am sufficiently confused....not sure what to do.....and I'm guessing that no one else will be able to help but if you can PLEASE do. I'm pulling the kit off this weekend if I can't get it to work because I'm border line failing myself out of school since I can't drive to school and have absolutely no other transportation options...I guess this wasn't meant to be.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Obviosly I'm not done with my clean install portion lol, just trying to get the car to work. Some other interesting things.

-With 550cc injectors and emanage in, as I rev the engine the afrs actually lean out from 10.0 afr.
-Car has not been driven
-Turbo spools and blow off valve works as well, if that helps. My vaccum reads 20.
-It's been about 30 degrees here.
-Car is catted, so when it runs rich it plumes out white smoke.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i'm sorry i can't help, but best of luck to you.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

best to luck to you from me as well, you gonna try a different turbo set up or anything?
Old 02-01-2007, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have Orings on the injectors?
Can you drive the car at all?
Is that rtb on the fittings?
Old 02-01-2007, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes I have all the o-rings in and they're seated correctly. I can't drive the car. And ya i have rtv high temp on the fittings.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok...

Any rips in the seals?
Why cant you drive it, what does it do?
Take the RTV off and use Teflon.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Problem 1 is the turbo man, i know tnetics said it was fine but the oil line his to be screwed.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member

i hope u called dezod...
Old 02-01-2007, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

yea contact Paul. im sure he will help you through it.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To be honest man, if you have this many problems and been done this long why not get a tuner shop to look at the car. I mean its obvious ur stumped now. Its probaly a faulty turbo and maybe a bad emanage but a TUNER will be able to shed some more light.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can you take pictures of the oil drain not the oil feed? Do you have an oil pressure gauge? If so what oil pressure are you seeing?
Old 02-01-2007, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like a install problem man....
Old 02-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Your return line looks ALL jacked up. It's swoopy and NOT to the point what-so-ever. Getting that fixed will 1st and foremost fix the oil problem. Look at this pic:

That needs to be addressed Mike ASAP.

The rich scenario is still baffling me, but since you work for a dealership, why not have a tech look at it or a tuner shop do poke at it. ----as a suggestion----
Old 02-01-2007, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya true that's what I think too. But I've narrowed everything down and all that happens is when I put in my new injectors, the cars runs a 10.0 afr. I switch back, eveything works fines then, with the exception of my emanage over correcting my stock injectors. It idles amazing with stock injectors, and revs good and everythings, put as soon as I throw in those other injectors it goes back to running rich.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think that's a pic before I cut off the four inches of the return line. But as far as the dealer, I'm afraid to drive it there and I don't want to tow it because I'm almost positive no one down at work will know what the problem is, as they don't ever do anything aftermarket or performance related. And as far as a tuner shop, there really isn't a reputable one around that has any experience with Scions. Honestly the tuner segment up here is horrible so there really aren't any performance shops with abilities beyond chrome window tinting...not that I've seen yet...
Old 02-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by rodlandscion
Ya true that's what I think too. But I've narrowed everything down and all that happens is when I put in my new injectors, the cars runs a 10.0 afr. I switch back, eveything works fines then, with the exception of my emanage over correcting my stock injectors. It idles amazing with stock injectors, and revs good and everythings, put as soon as I throw in those other injectors it goes back to running rich.
Well, maybe the injectors are bad.............................

PM me.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you should never use rtv or telfon on oil lines. NPT threads are self sealings. you don't want that crap in the oil system.

if i were you i would pull the turbo complete off and go back to stock for you. not being a jerk but i really don't think you really for forced induction at the moment..

also i think 550's are way too big for anything under 15psi. a 440cc injector is more than enough to handle the fuel for a stock block.

also why does everyone spring for the emange.. i personally hate them. the safc-2 does the same thing and is much simplier to use. all your doing is scaling the maf freq. anyway.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by malloynx
you should never use rtv or telfon on oil lines. NPT threads are self sealings. you don't want that crap in the oil system.

if i were you i would pull the turbo complete off and go back to stock for you. not being a jerk but i really don't think you really for forced induction at the moment..

also i think 550's are way too big for anything under 15psi. a 440cc injector is more than enough to handle the fuel for a stock block.

also why does everyone spring for the emange.. i personally hate them. the safc-2 does the same thing and is much simplier to use. all your doing is scaling the maf freq. anyway.
Well thanks for your vote of confidence but I really don't think cutting down the kit components is going to help me man
Old 02-01-2007, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry dude, just trying to help. i' ve been doing this for yrs and i'm still learning. i was saying go back to stock so maybe you could isolate the problem, this also tells you if you have an issue with an OEM component and not the turbo kit itself.

just my 2psi

Quick Reply: Reaching the end of my sanity...