Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

rear mounted turbo thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member

Default rear mounted turbo thoughts

What are your thoughts on doing something like this on the tC? They should probably have found a better place for the intake on that thing though.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...48_0502_turbo/

Edit: I'm actually starting to get excited about this, the more i think about it the more i want to do it. I'm not totally convinced its the best idea though. Any ideas or thoughts? (dezod?)
Old 07-01-2006, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

someone here had this post a while ago. i think it's sitting around somewhere.

and it's pretty much for rear engines....
Old 07-01-2006, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member

I didn't see anything about rear mounted turbos and there are alot of front engine/rear turbo projects that i see on the net. Although most are v8's I've had people tell me they've seen rear mounted turbos on 4cyl cars.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:42 PM
dex
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what i have seen these systems dont perform as well as a typical turbo setup. you have to remember that the turbine in the turbo is spooling not so much because of the exhaust flow beating on it but rather because the hot exhaust gasses are trying to equalize by flowing to the cooler area after the turbo. so heat has more to do with turbos working than anything else and with the turbo being so far away from the head/manifold in the rear mount setup you lose some of the energy (heat) that a turbo needs to function. you see what im getting at? the rear mount setup makes a great sleeper cause noone will ever know its there, but its gunna cost about the same as a typical setup in the end. so why bother?
Old 07-01-2006, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is almost no room to run the Charge pipe to the TB...unless you can find a way.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ive seen a Vette up here in Detroit with this kind of setup. IMO all it will do is say HELLO COPS I have a turbo please pull me over.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why would cops pull you over for having a turbocharged vehicle?
Old 07-01-2006, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I dont knwo about everyone else on here but I get hasseled from cops all the time. Why give them another reason to pull you over for nothing.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member

I've been reading alot and i found a thread where a guy was pushing 9psi into a cavalier and running high 13's in the 1/4 (13.96@98.72; 2.09 60' according to him). I don't know. It would be something different to try. If everyone thinks this is a dumb idea or can't be done for whatever reason I will just wait for the World Racing Descendent kit. yes.. i know the power they would make isn't going to be comparable (rear to WRD kit).
Old 07-01-2006, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It not a dumb idea.. Just put your car on a lift and see if you can route all the pipes.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its dumb because the v8's like cameros and others do it because theres no room in the engine bay to put a turbo.....plus theres gonna be alot more lag in the turbo because think about how much piping there is gonna be from the rear to the front........=/
Old 07-01-2006, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by tcholic
its dumb because the v8's like cameros and others do it because theres no room in the engine bay to put a turbo.....plus theres gonna be alot more lag in the turbo because think about how much piping there is gonna be from the rear to the front........=/
I agree
Old 07-01-2006, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member

It's dumb because those cars have no room? How does that apply to the tC? Maybe I want a cleaner (i guess) engine bay than you would have with a turbo. Sure maybe people think it looks cool to have it up front but whats wrong with trying it in the back? I forgot who made the intercooler setup for the S/C. I think I should do it just to see what happens. It could be wonderful for all we know (right now). I'm no expert on turbos themselves so i dont know which would work best but I do know how it works.

How many feet of piping it used on a turbo kit for the intercooler and all that?
Old 07-01-2006, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well if you read the article the volume in the piping is similar to a FMIC setup. If engineered correctly this could work very well (but probably not as well as a well engineered turbo in the engine compartment). There is defiantly one thing that does make this appealing. You do not have to remove any cats to do this setup so therefore you could possible have a "street legal" turbo setup like the SC. To me, that is the only thing I would be interested in.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its not a dumb idea, Ive seen it on plenty of 4 cylinder cars, my favorite is the old as dirt Chevy Cavilier that runs consistant low 13s...

There has been some discussion on a STS type system in this thread.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=123362
Old 07-01-2006, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member

Thats exactly why I think it is not "dumb". We have emissions tests here and if i can have a turbo and still pass that would be great.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by canibusx
It's dumb because those cars have no room? How does that apply to the tC? Maybe I want a cleaner (i guess) engine bay than you would have with a turbo. Sure maybe people think it looks cool to have it up front but whats wrong with trying it in the back? I forgot who made the intercooler setup for the S/C. I think I should do it just to see what happens. It could be wonderful for all we know (right now). I'm no expert on turbos themselves so i dont know which would work best but I do know how it works.

How many feet of piping it used on a turbo kit for the intercooler and all that?
have you seen an engine bay of a camaro lt1 or a corvette ls1 engine bay...there is absoultly no room and plus think about how your going to mount the turbo underneth on the rear axle without scraping the ground.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcholic
have you seen an engine bay of a camaro lt1 or a corvette ls1 engine bay...there is absoultly no room and plus think about how your going to mount the turbo underneth on the rear axle without scraping the ground.

What you know about that?
Old 07-01-2006, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member

I had an '04 GTO for a year and a half before i got my tC. I could mount the turbo up where the muffler is, it wouldnt drag on anything there. All the rear mounted turbos i see use the turbo in place of a muffler, I have no idea how loud that would be though.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^well a typical person with a corvette not with thousands to spend on a custom turbo setup such as that.....=P you know what i mean.......

Quick Reply: rear mounted turbo thoughts