Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Rotrex Supercharger Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:39 AM

Default Rotrex Supercharger Kit

I know I'm new to the site, but I wanted to see how much interest is in a Rotrex supercharger kit for the tC. I'm not a huge fan of how the turbo setup looks aesthetically. I have done a lot of research on the available turbo kits and the TRD supercharger kit. The TRD kit is a waste of money with the lack of power it gives. The turbo kits give the power I'm looking for, but not the look of it under the hood. I know a bunch of guys who have URD supercharger kits on their Tacomas and it looks/sounds great.

I spoke to URD about possibly developing a kit for the tC - and while I'm sure they would love to do so (and already would have), they don't have the rights to make a Rotrex kit for the Scion line. The do for Toyota and Lexus, but not for Scion. A guy from URD that's really well known in the Toyota world told me Kraftwerks has the rights and to tell them he sent me their way. This was their response below:

Kristina,

Unfortunately, we have no plans to offer a Scion tC Rotrex supercharger kit.

Thanks for your time and interest,

KraftWerks Sales
sales@kraftwerksusa.com

I responded with this:

When will you? How can you make one for a Honda Fit and not for a Scion? How many people showing interest would you need to start it? I'm sorry, but it doesn't make sense to not even consider it. URD made one for the Toyota Tacoma X-Runner, which only has 3,500 made per year from Toyota. There are way more Scions out there with much more interest in something like this than the Tacoma scene or a Honda Fit! I just find it disappointing that below is the only response given to me for it.

Too bad Gadget and the URD crew don't have the rights to make the kits for the Scion - I'm sure it would have been done by now and I definitely would have gotten a better response from them.

Thank you for your time,
Kristina
One of the many Scion owners

P.S. Toyota was hoping to sell 100k+ tC in 2005. A Honda Fit? 33k. If there is more a political answer to this - I would understand - but if it's because someone thinks there is a lack of interest - I'd be happy to jump on any of these Scion forums and see how many people would like to own a Rotrex supercharger kit for this car. Just let me know what I can do.

And then their final response....

Kristina,

We really appreciate your enthusiasm, and think that the Scion is an excellent platform. But with the many platforms we are working on right now, beyond those announced on our website, it would be difficult to squeeze the tC into a development program.

Thanks for your time and interest,
Oscar Jackson Jr.

KraftWerks Sales
sales@kraftwerksusa.com

What I'm getting at is I'd like to get a forum going with usernames of people who are interested in the development in a Rotrex supercharger kit.

Thanks for your time and I hope I get to know everyone better on here.

1. 09bspsctC
Old 10-14-2008, 12:55 AM
SL Member

2. Kyle713
Old 10-14-2008, 01:25 AM

Hey thanks Kyle. If any of you want some more info on Rotrex supercharges, just ask me. I guess this is a start!!!
Old 10-14-2008, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. 09bspsctC
2. Kyle713
3. Scionide
Old 10-14-2008, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

1. 09bspsctC
2. Kyle713
3. Scionide
4. jsingh
Old 10-14-2008, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so basically they said they have better cars to work than a tC, cant argue with that.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by deathbyc4
so basically they said they have better cars to work than a tC, cant argue with that.
Go on their website and look at what they've done - they lost that creditability with me once I saw one for a Honda Fit.... seriously...

They've done a Honda S2000, Fit, CivicSi, and a Mazda Miata..... We can at least try to argue with that. To not even consider doesn't make sense.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

any pics of the Rotrex SC on any of the cars they have it for?
Old 10-14-2008, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by trdtcpr
any pics of the Rotrex SC on any of the cars they have it for?
I have one for a Toyota Tacoma X-Runner.... It's our (my husband and my) truck. It's a URD kit (but still a rotrex sc). It has an extra fuel injector dedicated to the system with a piggy back split second control. As you can see, it's a centrifugal type - not a roots. It has a top mount air cooler and of course the intercooler mounted within the grill area for the sc itself. It's really easy to maintain, sounds really cool, and seems to be a lot simpler than a lot of other FI setups.

Different pulley sizes are made of course to increase boost (which usually just requires an upgraded fuel injector). I'm speaking from this URD setup though. I'm not sure how Kraftwerks does theirs, but it can't be too much different.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. 09bspsctC
2. Kyle713
3. Scionide
4. jsingh
5.Mrburrito

hell yeah i would love to see another supercharger kit for the tc
Old 10-14-2008, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Other than looks, and placement, wat would this kit offer over the trd kit? Plus how would this kit actually fit? The reason the trd charger is the way it is, is because there isnt enough room between the from of the engine and the headers for something to fit. Ive never heard of a Rotrex type of charger either,
Old 10-14-2008, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Other than looks, and placement, wat would this kit offer over the trd kit? Plus how would this kit actually fit? The reason the trd charger is the way it is, is because there isnt enough room between the from of the engine and the headers for something to fit. Ive never heard of a Rotrex type of charger either,
Old 10-14-2008, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm interested..probably the majority of those that own s/c's now are too. i think one of the bigger issues that has prevented other companies from making a s/c for the tc is the lack of room in the engine bay. a lot of things would have to be moved around/modified. also trd offers a warranty with their s/c which would be more appealing to those looking to be conservative/safe with their cars. would be awesome to see another s/c'd option out there though..
Old 10-14-2008, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they probably don't offer it because of the engine layout, and because trd already makes a complete kit that comes with warrantys. they would have to offer one that has more power and reliability, and close to the same price, as well as proper fitment for everything.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tc4Eva
Rotrex has some of the best superchargers on the market. They have a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. From experience with my husbands kit on his truck - we really haven't had too many issues with warranties, etc. And if we did - it's just as simple and removing the system and hooking the stock air intake back up.....

The Rotrex kit in the Tacoma made more hp and tq right of the bat. There's less crap of having to "reflash" the ecu since a separate piggy back system controls the extra injector. Also, a Rotrex kit can normally be upgraded to a bigger sc.

As for room - there is enough. They've (Kraftwerks) done it in cars with less.

Honda S2000

Oh and here is a Honda Fit engine bay - I don't have a pic of one with the Kraftwerks Rotrex setup yet - but once I find one - you'll see there's no issue of fitment...

Old 10-14-2008, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MrBurrito
hell yeah i would love to see another supercharger kit for the tc

1. 09bspsctC
2. Kyle713
3. Scionide
4. jsingh
5.Mrburrito
6. FLINT
Old 10-14-2008, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the xd really needs 1
Old 10-14-2008, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does this s/c make a whining noise or a whistle like the TRD s/c?

1. 09bspsctC
2. Kyle713
3. Trivecta
4. jsingh
5.Mrburrito
6. FLINT

*edit* I used the wrong forum name on list
Old 10-14-2008, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

interesting!
Old 10-14-2008, 03:54 AM
SL Member

I hope they do something for you all. It is always good to have something new on the market. Though I can't stand S/C's I hope you all get yours built for you.

Quick Reply: Rotrex Supercharger Kit