Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Rotrex Supercharger Kit 2.0 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay, here is why it is not feasible:

1. the centrifugal supercharger by trd can barely spin fast enough to get into it's efficiency range with the size of the crank pulley and the supercharger pulley and the relatively low redline.

2. the extremely limited space between the tc's intake manifold and the passenger cabin firewall. very tight space, and custom brackets to get the pulley to fit and spin off the serpentine belt.

3. intake plumbing to draw the air in, cool if off with intercooling, and get it to the engine would be complex, full of bends and severely reduce boost pressure. without cooling the incoming air charge, you're severly limited to how mush boost pressure you can run without running into detonation issues, so without an intercooler or water/meth injection, you won't make anywhere near as much power as an intercooled turbo set up.

4. the engine layout makes the possible configurations of exhaust manifolds and intercooler routing sooooo easy that going through all the difficulties of routing a supercharger though the engine compartment not worth it.

look, the point is this, if you want a supercharger sooooo bad, then make one yourself. go to a good shop that can do custom fabrication, and yes, they could make you a supercharger to fit, but you're car will be there for weeks while they make and fit parts to make it work.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Shoot find somebody that has a last gen celica with the roots type supercharger and see if you can take it off and do a mock up and take some measurements! Thats all I got. But This aint gonna happen. Maybe if toyota puts a good engine in the next tC we can see some companies make something. I mean greddy and blitz made on for the xb. Im sure it could be done but for the tC replacement.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Wait didnt the last gen corolla have a trd supercharger that was roots type? Thats might be a better shot!
Old 10-13-2009, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, but also, they're engine layouts were the reverse of the tc's, with the exhaust housings towards the passenger cabin, so the intake side was towards the front, and there was more space to work with on the intake side versus he exhaust side in that case.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yea forgot about that!
Old 10-14-2009, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by prighello
I think this could be feasible. Jackson racing does a kit for the Honda Fit for under $3K so this could certainly be a competitor to a turbo kit especially since there is already a ecu flash from the trd kit to go off of thus eliminating the cost of em.
if i were to make a S/C "kit" i would never include the trd flash...in essence the trd flash renders the tc ecu useless if you ever want to upgrade. once the trd flash is done there is no more tuning options and if you ever wanted to go back to stock settings that requires you to buy a new or used ecu. That flash doesnt just come off, once its done its done, there is no going back. So far i have never heard of anyone successful in reflashing the ecu back to stock. With that being said i know without a shadow of a doubt that i couldnt come up with a supercharger kit that would be 3g's or less.

im not fighting the idea but you have to look at the logistics of it all.

engine managment: $500-$2000 (w/ a pnp harness) (cost depends on what managment is desired)

Injectors: $300-$400

pipes: $75-$100

supercharger: $2,095

belt, bracket, oil lines: $50-$100

so best case i could build a kit for $3020.00 and thats without charging for fab of pipes and any other upcharges...so at $3020.00 I would not make one cent. But then again i would be out money on the shipping of material to me which could be about $100 in total.

ok now we have $3120.00, i would take that and add 10% for my efforts and fabbing. That comes to $3432.00.....not bad but keep in mind this is best case here. Now comes shipping to you, lets say its $100.

so we got $3532.00 shipped best case.

lets look at the variables here.... the bracket would be much much more than 50 bux, think about it, it would almost certainly need to be cnc machined. You cant just cut out a piece of metal weld it togather, drill holes in it and call it good. If i did that I would deff be out of money when i have to replace ish under warranty. If the bracket isnt perfect it could destroy the superchager bearings or render the superchager a $2,000 dollar paper weight.

I also have to look at being able to cover warranties just incase so yeah i might charge an extra 2% on the final cost. If the kit is built strong i wont have much to worry about but flaws find a way through non the less, may not have a thing really to do with me but another vendor i use. Gotta cover my butt someway.

ok so back to $3,532.00 shipped....that kit would have the potential to produce 250hp - 300hp....not bad at all if you ask me. The reality is you wont see 300hp though, superchargers need something to cool the compressed air. so lets say 250hp which isnt anything to sneeze at but when compaired to the cost of turbo kits around that can do that right out of the box with a potential to make 400hp, its kinda a no brainer.

I know what your going to say "well just add a intercooler to the kit like a turbo kit does", well ok then lets add that to the final cost of the supercharger kit.

Dont get me wrong i love the idea and would kill at the chance to do it but no one and i mean no one is willing to pay that extra $200-$500 extra to make 50hp less. (the figure isnt going off of best case)
Old 10-14-2009, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

btw the above rant was using the Rotrex as an example for priceing...

also just found this http://www.g-powertech.com/rotrex/eursett.htm

the hp figures i gave are most likely off .... way the hell off...lol
Old 10-14-2009, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

here is an idea though....much fab work to be done but an idea non the less

http://www.kraftwerksusa.com/product...p?productId=43
Old 10-14-2009, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

just some info on em

http://www.amstuning.com/amsrotrexz/
Old 10-14-2009, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why cant we just make trds design more efficient? there are already alot of them out there and the majority of the r and d has been done. I have been told that the compressor wheel is really what holds it back, any thoughts on this? It seems like improving what we already have available to us would be better time spent then just starting from scratch.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

the trd s/c is for the most part is dead...its not being made anymore and the overall design wasnt that great. yeah someone could make upgrades for it but the market is only going to shrink and not grow since the s/c isnt going to be made again.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

superchargerrebuild or something like that makes custom impellers for the s/c.. using that and a 14 psi pully gompka shaft fmic and cams standalone..

Might be a great road course car

or just buy the ptuning kit..
Old 10-14-2009, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ElevationTC
superchargerrebuild or something like that makes custom impellers for the s/c.. using that and a 14 psi pully gompka shaft fmic and cams standalone..

Might be a great road course car

or just buy the ptuning kit..
Amen to PTuning kit... lol. I personally love superchargers (I'm turbo) but not on the TC. Mustangs, Lightnings, anything V8 with plenty of torque to turn that puppy (centrifugal or roots) is a winner in my book.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

people just probably took up the S/C just to keep their warranty. Other than that, yeah on paper it doesn't seem to be a good way to go to make power, you need to put in so much more money just have it compete with basic turbo setups. I went S/C because turbo is illegal in california and i didn't really have other choices to make power, I plan to eventuall get a gompka shaft and pulley and an intake and better BPV to get close to 220 whp i hope. but other than that, yeah the S/C is somewhat of a lost cause, there is still some life in her.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i will buy a s/c, "if" it came with a c.a.r.b.# and last longer than a set of tires.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Look into getting a T-Trim wheel if you want to coax more power out of the supercharger with out cranking the boost any higher.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought my tC thinking that smog-legal FI support would always be an option.

Big Brotherish, fear of law suits, reliability claims, for-safety, for-the-environment (or any other spurious BS here)-- the OEM's seem to purposefully design some cars so as to prevent excessive 'racing' modifications.

IMHO, while Toyota has demonstrated in the past that it can build a good FI; if I ever really want to go FI, I will not be looking at a Toyota product. (Some good arguments are in this post that explain why)

Last edited by divisii; 10-20-2009 at 05:06 AM.