Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

S/C at 12psi!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah.. I talked to him and another place.. both sound like a good bunch of guys.. thanks bro.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by lundy
NST's fit a little bit better. The machining on it is perfect as where ZPI's had a little play at the keyhole. I used the ZPI's for 4k+ and never had a problem though. NST does pulley's and nothing else and I would say they do it the best

Was that version 1(AP pulley) or the version 2 ZPI pulley?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love the turbo sound and performance, but I also seek reliability
The thing is, there's no difference between a turbo setup and a supercharger setup if you're going to be upping the psi like that. The second you put an aftermarket pulley on it, your reliability is just as unpredictable as a turbo setup.

I mean I'm not saying it's a bad mod, but that you're putting just as much or even more stress on the engine running at 9.5-12psi as you would with a turbo. You'll likely not see any differences in reliability or engine life between the two, unless you leave the supercharger untouched.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattvs
The thing is, there's no difference between a turbo setup and a supercharger setup if you're going to be upping the psi like that. The second you put an aftermarket pulley on it, your reliability is just as unpredictable as a turbo setup.

I mean I'm not saying it's a bad mod, but that you're putting just as much or even more stress on the engine running at 9.5-12psi as you would with a turbo. You'll likely not see any differences in reliability or engine life between the two, unless you leave the supercharger untouched.
I fully understand that, but thus far it seems to have been mainly turbo apps that have been having issues.. unless I have been missing something
Old 04-11-2006, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
NST's fit a little bit better. The machining on it is perfect as where ZPI's had a little play at the keyhole. I used the ZPI's for 4k+ and never had a problem though. NST does pulley's and nothing else and I would say they do it the best

Was that version 1(AP pulley) or the version 2 ZPI pulley?
He's talking about the supercharger pulley not the crank pulley
Old 04-11-2006, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion-ce
I don't mind paying more money for more reliability
Turbo charging the tc is just as reliable as putting a S/C on it.. upping the boost on either one is going to take away reliability..

Now if you didn't change the pulley I would agree with you, but you're in the same boat as the turbocharged tC's now.... no warranty.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
I don't mind paying more money for more reliability
Turbo charging the tc is just as reliable as putting a S/C on it.. upping the boost on either one is going to take away reliability..

Now if you didn't change the pulley I would agree with you, but you're in the same boat as the turbocharged tC's now.... no warranty.
Yeah, thats what I meant. I'm one of the few s/c guys that hasn't chaged the pulley. In another thread, I stated that I wanted to see how far I could go with stock boost. My experiment is to see how much power I can make while retaining warranty. This means no boost pulley, no engine management, no cams, no engine work. I am waiting until the supercharger intake to come out. I already have a full exhaust from the MMW header/s-pipe to the DraXas catback. Once I get the intake on, I will dyno my car and post results. I suspect I can reach 230whp with this setup. Then once I put a 9.5psi pulley on, I should reach my goal of 250whp. We shall see.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you need to run 12psi, invest $1000+ into unichip, have all the supporting mods to run 250hp? How is the spool comparing to turbo? What is the TQ numbers?

Props on the pushing the power levels with supercharger though.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I fully understand that, but thus far it seems to have been mainly turbo apps that have been having issues.. unless I have been missing something
Well there's a difference between 200-205whp at 7psi for the supercharger (with likely millions invested in R&D) and 260 at 8-10psi for the turbo with only a piggy-back computer (with substantially less invested in R&D).
Old 04-11-2006, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by retrodrive
So you need to run 12psi, invest $1000+ into unichip, have all the supporting mods to run 250hp? How is the spool comparing to turbo? What is the TQ numbers?

Props on the pushing the power levels with supercharger though.
I should be hitting 250 soon on only 10psi and without an expensive unichip...
Old 04-11-2006, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm one of the few s/c guys that hasn't chaged the pulley. In another thread, I stated that I wanted to see how far I could go with stock boost. My experiment is to see how much power I can make while retaining warranty. This means no boost pulley, no engine management, no cams, no engine work. I am waiting until the supercharger intake to come out. I already have a full exhaust from the MMW header/s-pipe to the DraXas catback. Once I get the intake on, I will dyno my car and post results. I suspect I can reach 230whp with this setup. Then once I put a 9.5psi pulley on, I should reach my goal of 250whp. We shall see.
Well, good luck with that.. I wasn't aware you haven't changed the pulley.

You must have some deep pockets.. Changing the pulley is definately the cheapest way to make power with the SC (until something goes wrong).

Fast, Cheap, Reliable - You can only pick 2.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So who currently dynos the most with the TRD SC?

There's so many of them on this board I can't keep up with a simple search.

With the turbo's so far I've seen 420whp on stock internals and 533whp on a built-stroked engine (jo-tech).
Old 04-11-2006, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You do have to realize that I was making 240whp at 8.5psi before. It's just the in-efficiency of running 12psi with no intercooler/water injection that causes low power gain at 12psi but 240whp with a stock header at 8.5psi, not to bad in my eyes. You shouldnt just compare different setups and add hp numbers and say one mod is better than the other or one mod does or doesnt make power. On average with the unichip gives you about 30whp. And you cant just look at as 30whp but the acceleration factor as well. 12-15 more ft/lbs. at 2500rpm and the fact that you get a lot better gas milage due to the better a/f ratio. So look at it as if you have 250whp w/o the unichip, you could very well have over 275+ w/ the unichip
Old 04-11-2006, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by mattvs

Errr, this is not entirely true. Just because a turbo and a s/c are running at the same level of boost, does NOT mean they are producing the same amount of HP, TQ, or anything else. Not all turbo's put out the same amount of HP/TQ at the same PSI. Theoretically, the SC could run at 12 psi and generate less stress than a turbo at 9.5.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But you're still in uncharted territory with the Supercharger, so you're running the exact same risks.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

Man. Countless threads on countless web sites and people still don't fully understand the difference of a s/c and a turbo.

A s/c @ 12 psi boost is at what RPM? they should have mentioned that. I am assuming RED LINE. Because a sc is directly affected by RPM.

A turbo @ 12 psi is at 12 PSI generally around 3,000 RPM depending on turbo mating etc.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

12PSI is at redline. However 7psi(stock boost) is now at about 4k. Still does not compare to the accelleration of turbo. I made around 230 ft/lbs at redline where T-NETICS make 260 ft/lbs at 4k. For all out performance and hp (on a Tc) turbo is king.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by TimmyT
Man. Countless threads on countless web sites and people still don't fully understand the difference of a s/c and a turbo.

A s/c @ 12 psi boost is at what RPM? they should have mentioned that. I am assuming RED LINE. Because a sc is directly affected by RPM.

A turbo @ 12 psi is at 12 PSI generally around 3,000 RPM depending on turbo mating etc.
excellent point. SC's are of course more linear, and higher boost is *always* acheived at higher rpm's on the SC.

My point was solely that the same amount of boost does not equal the same amount of stress, or the same amount of gains in HP/TQ.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

12PSI is at redline. However 7psi(stock boost) is now at about 4k. Still does not compare to the accelleration of turbo. I made around 230 ft/lbs at redline where T-NETICS make 260 ft/lbs at 4k. For all out performance and hp (on a Tc) turbo is king.
it depends entirely on the application in which you are interested in (Drag, street, or auto-x). This has been covered several times on many different threads.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:35 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

just watching. Nice numbers, Glad to see someone with dyons so we can see the experience.

Quick Reply: S/C at 12psi!!!