Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

S/C Hoses covered in Oil *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default S/C Hoses covered in Oil *pics*

So my car has been going through quite a bit of oil (2/3s of a dipstick per 1,000mi) and its been back at the dealer. Their diagnostics said it was leaking out of the s/c oil return line and oil sender units. These items have been replaced. They said to check back in another 1,000mi to determine if I'm still consuming oil.

I'm still getting pretty sad milage 18mpg for highway criuse so I decided to perform basic maintenence such as filter replacement, MAF and TB cleaning to help it breath easier.

When I got disassembled the intake about a cup of oil poured out of the intake to s/c hose and the the s/c to TB hose was soaked in oil.

Now could this be the cause of my oil consumption? Would someone replacing an oil sender unit / oil return line have noticed this much oil all over the place? Or is this a normal amount of oil for not having a catch can?

Anyways pics attached. Let me know what you guys think.

Wet hoses /w Oil drops on the Transmission and other parts:

Draining the hose:

Interior is coated:

Supercharger outlet:

Inside of the Supercharger is coated:
Old 01-10-2009, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that seems like way to much for it to just be blow thru
Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: S/C Hoses covered in Oil *pics*

Originally Posted by lasrx
its been back at the dealer. Their diagnostics said it was leaking out of the s/c oil return line and oil sender units.
WTF they are retarded if it was leaking out of the return/sender how the F*** would it be getting into your intake pipping? Proceed to burn down the dealership. lol Your s/c must be leaking oil from the compressor. Unless its coming in from your pcv somehow its definitely not the s/c return/sender that would be impossible, that would mean the outside of your pipes would be covered in oil not the inside.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OMG. ....poor tC. I hate oil mess.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

fu**, another SC problem.
i freaking hate TRD.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow this is BS. How can they seriously continue to sell a product that screws up so much and ruins peoples motors. They need to pull the plug on this POS and redeisgn it or just scrap it. Make a damn roots type like on the old tacoma or the celica. I also love how they blame all the problems on you when its a POS and they know it. Sorry OP i say bite the bullet and have them remove the S/C throw it out and go turbo or stay N/A but get rid of that POS.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by highvoltage1
Sorry OP i say bite the bullet and have them remove the S/C throw it out and go turbo or stay N/A but get rid of that POS.
it have come across my mind so many times. But i don't know to uninstall it nor have the money for Ptuning turbo.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: S/C Hoses covered in Oil *pics*

Originally Posted by gompka
Originally Posted by lasrx
its been back at the dealer. Their diagnostics said it was leaking out of the s/c oil return line and oil sender units.
WTF they are retarded if it was leaking out of the return/sender how the F*** would it be getting into your intake pipping? Proceed to burn down the dealership. lol Your s/c must be leaking oil from the compressor. Unless its coming in from your pcv somehow its definitely not the s/c return/sender that would be impossible, that would mean the outside of your pipes would be covered in oil not the inside.
Oh the outside of the hoses are covered in oil too. I wonder how they made the initial diagnostic without disassmbling the intake. Wouldn't this have at least been in the way???

This S/C only has 3k on it. This was the replacement TRD sent when the first one had bearing failure. This thing is definately a headache. Definately not the regular Toyota reliability I was hoping for.

With so much oil sucked into the engine is there anything I should check for damage / contamination? I'm thinking the spark plugs need to be checked.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GammaTNT
Sorry OP i say bite the bullet and have them remove the S/C throw it out and go turbo or stay N/A but get rid of that POS.
it have come across my mind so many times. But i don't know to uninstall it nor have the money for Ptuning turbo.
It does suck. Maybe you could work something out with Toyota or call Scion corporate and tell them how unsatisfied you are and you want it removed. No replacement just removed see if they will cover it and send the S/C back to them. Now about the ECU i have heard you can reflash it back to stock or something but would have to search the forum for it somewhere. Hey i mean its worth a shot right. Its better being N/A with a car thats reliable then S/C witht he posibility of a blown motor or constant hassles of gettign the dealership to fix it or what not. GL with the S/C if you keep it.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would say theres a possible seal problem. same thing happened to my zpi stage 0
Old 01-11-2009, 07:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Take it to Dave Gille at Steven's Creek toyota. He will be able to at least find the source of the leak. At least then you will have a specific complaint. Dave is really good.

He works M-F normal business hours. Just describe your symptoms and show him what problems you're seeing. Probably the seals on the SC (the snail side) are leaking like crazy. And the oil you've photographed looks like its burned to hell.

That's just the way the SC has been rolling for a lot of people. Hopefully, you don't rev your car above 5000.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Scikotics
SL Member

thats a lot of oil but for me when i take off my intake i see oil in there too but when i put on a oil catch can it helped a lot, but like i said u have a lot of oil coming out of there so i would think of a leak but i got scared when i uninstalled my intake and saw the oil.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GammaTNT
It does suck. Maybe you could work something out with Toyota or call Scion corporate and tell them how unsatisfied you are and you want it removed. No replacement just removed see if they will cover it and send the S/C back to them. Now about the ECU i have heard you can reflash it back to stock or something but would have to search the forum for it somewhere. Hey i mean its worth a shot right. Its better being N/A with a car thats reliable then S/C witht he posibility of a blown motor or constant hassles of gettign the dealership to fix it or what not. GL with the S/C if you keep it.
Scion corporate is RIDICULOUS the customer service rep for the whole USA Kevin is a DIC that knows nothing about cars. So good luck with that if you go that route.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well the good thing is, everything is lubricated! Just uninstall it and piece up a turbo kit. It'll do you a lot of good. I'm on my third supercharger and when this one decides to crap out, i'm tossing it and turboing even though im in Cali. Can't have a N/A car lol. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^---- Indeed Mobil 1 is a very good oil. Look at how well the interior walls of the supercharger are still coated after everything has had a chance to cool down. No dry air starts for me.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update:

The car has been at the dealership for the past three days. They have confirmed oil in the hoses and have performed a compression test to determine whether the engine was leaking as well. The comp test came back with a reading of 170 so they doubt that the engine losing much oil. Factory reps from TRD and Toyota came by and inspected the car. Their diagnosis, the internal seals on the supercharger are bad. They decided to open the valve cover and inspect the engine and found some scoreing in the piston walls. They told me they found metal bits and believe it was from the first failed supercharger (idler pullies + bearing failure last time). They're going to call me back tomorrow and let me know whether or not I'll be needing a new short block as well as a new supercharger. At least all this is being done on their dime.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup... i've got a new short block and 2 new sc'ers under my belt through warranty lol
Old 01-15-2009, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow! At least they arent trying to dick you around. GL with everything.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Warranty FTW!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man i just ran into this post today and i decided to check out my S/C and i found a fair amount of oil in the hoses. not as bad as lasrx but a noticeable amounts. mostly built up in the snail cover. it sux cuz i've only had it for a year and a couple months and my warranty is gone. cuz i installed it myself so i only got 12,000 miles or the one year. which is unfortunate for me cuz in one year i put 17,000 miles on the S/C not too bad though....

i got a question though. will an oil catch can help keep oil out of the intake hoses?

Quick Reply: S/C Hoses covered in Oil *pics*