Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

S/C Tuning Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default S/C Tuning Question

I'm about install a used TRD supercharger and I'm planning to have it tuned with the e-manage blue. And I have two questions:
1. Is it safe to run the s/c with the e-manage blue? Because I know that the tune would only work under WOT. So how about partial throttle?
2. Would dealerships do the reflash on my car with a used s/c in it? If so, how much would that cost?
Thanks
Old 10-01-2008, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: S/C Tuning Question

Originally Posted by ricexizxgood
I'm about install a used TRD supercharger and I'm planning to have it tuned with the e-manage blue. And I have two questions:
1. Is it safe to run the s/c with the e-manage blue? Because I know that the tune would only work under WOT. So how about partial throttle?
2. Would dealerships do the reflash on my car with a used s/c in it? If so, how much would that cost?
Thanks
If you want to keep the car safe, get some 450cc injectors, fuel pump, and the dealer reflash forget about the greddy emanage... They should charg no more then 200. If you wanna make power, get a higher rated pulley for the sc along with some 550cc injectors or keep to 450cc and run the AEM f/IC... the emanage is really a weak tool especailly compared to the F/IC or the greddy ultimate.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Thanks
1. it needs to be tuned...but the emanage blue is fine, it's what i had.
2. the dealership will do it...but if you're gonna run the emanage...just get that tuned...if you get it reflashed first and then tuned...it won't run to it's potential. there's no point in doing both. call you dealership and find out the price though if that's the route ur gonna go.

also, did you get the whole supercharger setup...or just the supercharger? if just the supercharger...u need much more
Old 10-01-2008, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks man
I'll be running the whole setup w/ the 9.5 pulley and maybe the CAI also.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by purevision01
Thanks
If you want to keep the car safe, get some 450cc injectors, fuel pump, and the dealer reflash forget about the greddy emanage... They should charg no more then 200. If you wanna make power, get a higher rated pulley for the sc along with some 550cc injectors or keep to 450cc and run the AEM f/IC... the emanage is really a weak tool especailly compared to the F/IC or the greddy ultimate.
Are the injectors that come with the kit 450cc's?
Old 10-01-2008, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can buy my unichip for that supercharger :D
Old 10-01-2008, 05:34 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thanks
Are the injectors that come with the kit 450cc's?
440CC if i recall correctly
Old 10-01-2008, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I run the 9.5 pulley, should I go with the 440cc or 550cc injectors?
Old 10-01-2008, 05:43 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Im running it with the S/C injectors and its fine, and thats with the TRD tune, you should be fine with the emanage tune and the 440's. 550 would only be good if you are going to goto 12lb pulley in the future, and then you would have it ready (but you would have to get retuned anyway)
Old 10-02-2008, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

440's are fine...with the 9.5 lb pulley and CAI...do not use the TRD reflash because you will run lean at WOT...u need a tune with at least a piggyback ECU...which the emanage blue is fine. if you don't get the CAI then the TRD reflash is fine
Old 10-02-2008, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool
By any chance, does anyone know where I can get a base map for the s/c on the e-manage blue?
Old 10-02-2008, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by BuddhasTC
440's are fine...with the 9.5 lb pulley and CAI...do not use the TRD reflash because you will run lean at WOT...u need a tune with at least a piggyback ECU...which the emanage blue is fine. if you don't get the CAI then the TRD reflash is fine
naa that's been proven wrong many many times. ive seen several dyno sheets showing that the a/f ratios are perfectly fine with a CAI on the s/c and trd tune. it wont lean out if the intake is designed correctly.

Cool
By any chance, does anyone know where I can get a base map for the s/c on the e-manage blue?
im not even sure if there is one out there... would be cool if it was one though
there is gotta be someone out there who had their trd s/c tune and is willing to upload the map to the net...
Old 10-02-2008, 08:45 AM
SL Member

Default TRD Tune

I dont see how the TRD tune would not work. It adjusts fuel and timing based on boost pressure. So if can do that from 1-7psi all sday long, its the same math equation on up to 10 psi. Nothing changes. The sensors will compensate for the "colder air" and increased flow.

The only limitation is when the injectors get maxed out and cant pump out enough fuel for the higher boost levels. But it shouldn't reach those max levels until 10psi.

J~
Old 10-02-2008, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: TRD Tune

Originally Posted by Jacque766
I dont see how the TRD tune would not work. It adjusts fuel and timing based on boost pressure. So if can do that from 1-7psi all sday long, its the same math equation on up to 10 psi. Nothing changes. The sensors will compensate for the "colder air" and increased flow.

The only limitation is when the injectors get maxed out and cant pump out enough fuel for the higher boost levels. But it shouldn't reach those max levels until 10psi.

J~
The tune will compensate for higher boost only if your operating within acceptable duty cycle of the injectors because raising the boost raises the air charge temperature especially without an intercooler. Raising the intake temp will bring you closer to detonation and will require more fuel to prevent it... It has always been known to an educated tuner that you tune at the highest level of boost the motor will see then back down... I have never heard of tuning for 7psi and running 10. Thats just as beneficial as tuning for race gas on the dyno then going to the track and running pump gas and thinkin everything will be fine.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:46 PM
SL Member

I agree tune up then back down and with everything else your saying. I may be wrong but that's what I think the Scion SC engineers did too. ;) They tuned for a higher boost and then backed it down to a number they figured would be safe to put a 36K mile warranty to. I wouldn't go over 9psi but I think it would be ok.

I guess only those with a S/C, Factory tune, 9 psi pulley, and a wideband would really know how AFR's look.

A true CAI will help lower those intake temps a bit but yes a Intercooler is good too.

Side note......does anybody make a drop in Intercooler package for the S/C on the TC without having to do all the custom pipe fabrication? I saw one for the XB.
J~
Old 10-02-2008, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks
fuel pump is good for more then a super charger will ever throw down lol
Old 10-02-2008, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
Thanks
fuel pump is good for more then a super charger will ever throw down lol
Yeah, if he was running the recommended 6 or so lbs but I believe hes running 9.5. With that, the stock fuel pump should be able to keep up. But if he starts lookin to make any kind of power, the stock fuel pump will not be able to maintain the fuel pressure when the larger injectors start goin into higher duty cycle.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by unxpectederror
naa that's been proven wrong many many times. ive seen several dyno sheets showing that the a/f ratios are perfectly fine with a CAI on the s/c and trd tune. it wont lean out if the intake is designed correctly.
granted there are a couple of people who did this and were ok...but i have also seen more cases here alone that the exact opposite was true...better safe than sorry.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:43 PM
SL Member

granted there are a couple of people who did this and were ok...but i have also seen more cases here alone that the exact opposite was true...better safe than sorry.
I would tune it to be on the safe side more instances where its running lean than ok.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:43 PM
SL Member

I would tune it to be on the safe side more instances where its running lean than ok.

Quick Reply: S/C Tuning Question