Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Safe AFRs

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I ran 1 month on a street tune with the ECU, had no re-learning problems. O2 sensor threading was bad and wouldn't stay in anymore, so I plugged it and ran for 3 months without an O2 sensor. Had to adjust my map, but no re-learning. Replaced O2 sensor, got tuned and it hasn't re-learned anything.

There is no re-learning with a piggyback. I don't know why everyone is so obsessed about blaming everything on the ECU 're-learning.'
Old 06-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
I ran 1 month on a street tune with the ECU, had no re-learning problems. O2 sensor threading was bad and wouldn't stay in anymore, so I plugged it and ran for 3 months without an O2 sensor. Had to adjust my map, but no re-learning. Replaced O2 sensor, got tuned and it hasn't re-learned anything.

There is no re-learning with a piggyback. I don't know why everyone is so obsessed about blaming everything on the ECU 're-learning.'
A piggyback tune is literally just a +/- number over stock.

Stock ECU likes 14.7 AFR.. If it sees less than that such as a 11:1 AFR it will modify its own fuel trims which will throw off your piggyback numbers.

You can argue all you want, but its simply how the ECU works.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

And what's it going to re-learn? The piggyback is always going to be there to correct it. If the tune is done right, there will never be re-learning problems. If the tuner bases the +/- fuel correction off the AFR reading, he's doing things COMPLETELY wrong. The fuel map HAS to be tuned off the LTFT/STFT. If the LTFT is +/-5%, the car will never have a reason to re-learn because it will never see a problem.

I've been tuned for 4 months. Haven't had the slightest fluctuation in my tune, haven't had a single CEL and all I'm running is an F/IC w/ PNP harness. And I don't even have the resistor mod.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

What it all boils down to is yes the stock ECU likes stoich conditions, if it sees boost AFR's it will try to adjust to stoich but that's why you have a piggy back; it adjusts those conditions for boost so regardless of if the stock ECU is trying to get to stoich the piggyback is telling it no way buddy. There is no way the ECU can adjust for something is the piggyback is sending a voltage that corresponds to something else. This is no way 'throws' off the piggyback.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ecko04
Motor mounts BEFORE LSD. You need to experience the difference and how much wheel hop is lost before you decide to dump $2000 on an LSD and install.

Motor mounts, clutch(?), tune (GOOD TUNE) and you will likely be happy.

Motor mounts - Energy suspension $60
Clutch - CC Stage 4 ~$260, install ~$400 (Do it yourself with 2 sets of metric and standard regular and deep sockets, a 32mm 12point impact socket, an air tool capable of exceeding 150 ft/lb of torque)
Tune - $300 - $600 ish

You don't need to go around boosting until you get that.

AFR's 10 is really rich but if it dips that rich and recovers to 11 - 13 you're fine but that can be fixed with more tuning.

Cruise should be as close to stoich as possible 14.4 - 15.5

Do not disconnect your O2

Man, some of yall are really ****....lol. Nothing wrong with disconnecting the 02...IF you have weather that does not change on a regular basis.

And there is no reason or need to "experience" wheel hopping before installing motor mounts and LSD.

For me, I had my motor out, so in went the Mounts and PTuning shipped my tranny back with LSD in it, so it all went in at the same time. But, I have felt wheel hop prior to this. But if you have not does not mean you should hold off from buying an LSD and Motor Mounts.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by 10sec05

Its a 30mm 12 point for the axle nut - you need a deep socket

If your primary o2 is not disconnected your ECU will pull fuel over time
Our ECUs are VERY advanced
I used 30mm 12 point impact for the axle nut, worked great. It is best to use a impact socket when used an impact gun; a deep socket under high torque conditions may shatter or strip the nut.

Never had a problem with my O2 being connected. Works fine, your tune is poop if its trying to adjust short term and long term fuel trims.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Man, some of yall are really ****....lol. Nothing wrong with disconnecting the 02...IF you have weather that does not change on a regular basis.

And there is no reason or need to "experience" wheel hopping before installing motor mounts and LSD.

For me, I had my motor out, so in went the Mounts and PTuning shipped my tranny back with LSD in it, so it all went in at the same time. But, I have felt wheel hop prior to this. But if you have not does not mean you should hold off from buying an LSD and Motor Mounts.
****? About what?

Weather changes all the time, what's the point of disconnecting an O2 sensor. If the car is tuned properly there is no need to do that.

No, you completely misunderstood my statement. In all likelihood you have already experienced wheel hop. I was saying get the motor mounts first and you'll experience less wheel hop so for many that were thinking about getting an LSD it is good enough and saves $2000. If by chance it is not then go for the LSD but motor mounts help eliminate most wheel hop on mild to moderate turbo tC's and even N/A, which was the point I was making before opting to spend a pay check on an LSD.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I fail to see the logic in getting slicks without an LSD. You do your burnout (1 wheel), and when you launch, that wheel will not get the power and you are running a cold slick off the line...
Old 06-18-2009, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I guess we're getting into the 'race' talk now.

I don't know anything about that or burnouts, I was speaking in terms of just a DD experience and spirited driving.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by rangerryda
I fail to see the logic in getting slicks without an LSD. You do your burnout (1 wheel), and when you launch, that wheel will not get the power and you are running a cold slick off the line...
So you can go spend $1300+ on a LSD. I will be spending that $ elsewhere
Old 06-18-2009, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

If you plan on taking the car to the track, LSD is a must. If you're just going to DD, LSD is sort of a waste.

With regular tires, no motor mounts and no LSD...1st, 2nd and 3rd are completely useless. Decent tires and motor mounts make 3rd useful again. 2nd will never be useful with just one tire getting all of the power, unless you're running a 15" wide slick.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by 10sec05

Its a 30mm 12 point for the axle nut - you need a deep socket

If your primary o2 is not disconnected your ECU will pull fuel over time
Our ECUs are VERY advanced
I used 30mm 12 point impact for the axle nut, worked great. It is best to use a impact socket when used an impact gun; a deep socket under high torque conditions may shatter or strip the nut.

Never had a problem with my O2 being connected. Works fine, your tune is poop if its trying to adjust short term and long term fuel trims.
yes a deep IMPACT socket sorry.. but it can be done with a breaker bar and a regular deep socket

You dont know anything about my car or tune so dont comment on it
Old 06-24-2009, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

ok cleaned up and no more crap...or I will delete it next time
Old 06-24-2009, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Not to be rude but it really didn't have to be cleaned up.

The epic was quite easy to navigate through and was to a point where we all wanted to know the outcome.

Thanks for killing it for us all.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Not to be rude but it really didn't have to be cleaned up.

The epic was quite easy to navigate through and was to a point where we all wanted to know the outcome.

Thanks for killing it for us all.
well actually it did....and if it goes that way I will just delete the thread...your welcome
Old 06-24-2009, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

and now it is locked