Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Scary Turbonetics Kit issues... Again

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Default Scary Turbonetics Kit issues... Again

I have the Turbonetics Stage 1 kit on my 06.

About 2 months ago I had the Down Pipe replaced because the wastegate flange cracked and was falling off. Turbonetics stated that they knew of this problem and have re-done the pipe and put a beefier flange with stronger welds...

Today, I inspected my whole turbo system and noticed that there is a small crack forming around the flange once again... and there is some black carbon buildup from exhaust leaking from the crack already.

As well, I looked at the bottom of the flange that meets up with the Turbine Housing and guess what... Oil leaking. Looks like my BRAND new Turbonetics turbo has blown a seal again. I just had it replaced a month ago for the same issue... I have lots of blue smoke coming out under mild boost. I drive the car very lightly, It is used for driving 2 miles a day back and forth to work, I rarely ever hit full boost only occasionaly on the freeway. I do not have a turbo-timer but I sit in my car for a full 2-3 minutes after a drive, even under mild driving.

I really can't believe that I am going to have to do all of that work again. Taking it off, being without a car for 2 weeks and installing it again and wasting more money on TS-1 oil that I just put in.

I have heard others are having many similar problems with this kit... Please post here if you have had any of these problems, I would like to know what they told you and what they were able to resolve with you.

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Chris from ohio went through two also. Tell them to send you more oil and that you are really getting ticked off.

I opted to just sell the 50 trim turbo and get a 60 trim one instead. With a new tune car runs great and havent had issues yet (knocks on wood).

You get your car tuned?
Old 06-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Wow! That is not cool at all.

Let me know if you want to get a new 'drop in' turbo of any spec for that kit. We have done this for a few customers.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'll bring this issue up with t-netics...
Old 06-04-2007, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I called Turbonetics today and the Customer Service Rep that I spoke to said "You'd be surprised usually the problem is not with the Turbo" ... Basically implying the problem is me. He asked if there were any kinks in the lines. And I said of course not. He followed by asking me "Did you even look to see if there are any kinked lines?"

Who does this dude take me for?

Regardless, He told me to take out my downpipe and Turbo and send it in to them. Shipping expenses on me...

I am pretty frustrated. Even if I do get a new turbo, who is to say this next one wont do the same thing.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The same things happened to me but once my turbo went out I ahd T-netcis replace it but I have it at home and replaces it with a Garrett GT-3076R, much better turbo and we'll see how long it lasts.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by MrHer0
I called Turbonetics today and the Customer Service Rep that I spoke to said "You'd be surprised usually the problem is not with the Turbo" ... Basically implying the problem is me. He asked if there were any kinks in the lines. And I said of course not. He followed by asking me "Did you even look to see if there are any kinked lines?"

Regardless, He told me to take out my downpipe and Turbo and send it in to them. Shipping expenses on me...

I am pretty frustrated. Even if I do get a new turbo, who is to say this next one wont do the same thing.

Sir,

Let me first apologize for your experience. Without going to deep details we are aware that a number of people who have purchased our turbo kit have run into this issue that you are describing. We are currently working on a fix and I'm expecting we would have a solution by the Fall. My personal take is that if I owned one of these kits I would run a turbo with a wet center section. If this is something that you would be interested in please let me know.

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to get ahold of me directly. My email address is rwynn@turboneticsinc.com and my direct number is 805-426-3417.

Reggie Wynn
Sales Manager
Turbonetics Inc.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by blk180sx
Originally Posted by MrHer0

Sir,

Let me first apologize for your experience. Without going to deep details we are aware that a number of people who have purchased our turbo kit have run into this issue that you are describing. We are currently working on a fix and I'm expecting we would have a solution by the Fall. My personal take is that if I owned one of these kits I would run a turbo with a wet center section. If this is something that you would be interested in please let me know.

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to get ahold of me directly. My email address is rwynn@turboneticsinc.com and my direct number is 805-426-3417.

Reggie Wynn
Sales Manager
Turbonetics Inc.
Hi Reggie,

I have shot you an eMail. Thank you for your quick response and I appreciate the concern.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ive been trying to get a Wter cooled turbo from turbonetics for awhile now. I keep hearing its in the future. If turbonetics thinks we need water bearing sectiosn then why not sell the kits that way or at least offer a upgrade to those of us who have had problems. My brother and I are both on our 2nd turbos. Also when you guys come up with a fix for this problem what will happen to us who already have the kits. Or will it only be on new kits?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by yamaha16bw
Ive been trying to get a Wter cooled turbo from turbonetics for awhile now. I keep hearing its in the future. If turbonetics thinks we need water bearing sectiosn then why not sell the kits that way or at least offer a upgrade to those of us who have had problems. My brother and I are both on our 2nd turbos. Also when you guys come up with a fix for this problem what will happen to us who already have the kits. Or will it only be on new kits?
I dont have a problem providing people water cooled turbos. My only issue at this time is I do not have any instructions as to how to install the water lines. A few car savy members here have tackled the install with no issues. But again I would like to make this point very clear at this moment about using water cooler turbo. THIS IS MY OPINION.....NOT TURBONETICS....
To answer your last question all of the new kits will have water cooled turbos once we document the install and what not.

Reggie Wynn
Sales Manager
Turbonetics Inc.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've been saying it all along.. turbonetics QC sucks ___. there turbos were really bad like 7yrs ago.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:09 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Hey Regg! What's good?

Glad to see your handling the B-I
Old 06-05-2007, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by blk180sx
I dont have a problem providing people water cooled turbos. My only issue at this time is I do not have any instructions as to how to install the water lines. A few car savy members here have tackled the install with no issues. But again I would like to make this point very clear at this moment about using water cooler turbo. THIS IS MY OPINION.....NOT TURBONETICS....
To answer your last question all of the new kits will have water cooled turbos once we document the install and what not.

Reggie Wynn
Sales Manager
Turbonetics Inc.

Cool, Please keep us updated Reggie!
Old 06-05-2007, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Reggie for posting up on the water cooled bearing section. jam_0321 was one of the test cars and might still be able to answer some of the questions regarding the routing of the water lines.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Didnt he sell his tC or am I thinking of something?
Old 06-06-2007, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Didnt he sell his tC or am I thinking of something?
I believe he might have but he should still have the info on how to do it.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey guys,
sorry...just saw this. I did do a water cooled center section for the tC. I'll be getting all my info together and posting a DIY here and on www.turboneticsownersclub.com

the problem with the failed seals seems to be caused by the excess heat. The water cooled center will eliminate this problem as it will drop temps by nearly 400 deg.
I would suggest looking into an oil cooler as it will raise oil temps especially when pushed hard. I suggest an oil cooler regardless of the type of turbo you have. All modern factory turbos run this setup to promote extended turbo life.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

feel free to hit me up in the mean time should you have any questions

I do believe that Turbonetics is working on gathering up all the appropriate parts for a complete install on the tC. All you will need to do is send in the turbo and have the section swapped out.

It's not a difficult install at all and definitely worth it.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by jam0321
hey guys,
sorry...just saw this. I did do a water cooled center section for the tC. I'll be getting all my info together and posting a DIY here and on www.turboneticsownersclub.com

the problem with the failed seals seems to be caused by the excess heat. The water cooled center will eliminate this problem as it will drop temps by nearly 400 deg.
I would suggest looking into an oil cooler as it will raise oil temps especially when pushed hard. I suggest an oil cooler regardless of the type of turbo you have. All modern factory turbos run this setup to promote extended turbo life.
Believe it or not my girlfriend just bought me an oil cooler on my b-day june 1st. I just dont know where to mount the mini radiator I bought the ZPI oil cooler and it doesnt come with instructions and I'm a n00b.

I cant wait for the DIY on the water cooled center. I would love to hook that up and solve my problems
Old 06-06-2007, 05:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

working on it brother. will have it up probably this weekend. (got a ton of stuff going on with my new project )

Quick Reply: Scary Turbonetics Kit issues... Again