Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

ScionGT35R 476whp@19psi pics all over

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etsnet
COME ON!!!! Don't do that. I'm not gonna sleep now tonight. Just tell me it has nothing to do with the rods. I know Pito said some kind of sound most of been coming from the rods and thought it was normal.
I hope you read this before going to bed so you can sleep well.

You probably remember this photo from the Intake Manifold thread as it was delivered from our fabricator.

If you see closely you can see the thick aluminum welds all around the manifold. All off those welds were grinded down by the Guy that polished the Intake manifold.

After it was polished it looked something like this....

The welds were grinded down to the point where their strength was compromised severely (we didn't knew until today). It looked very good polished so no one really bothered (incluiding myself) about the welds.

Today I was about to continue the tuning of the engine/e-Manage combo so I decided to install some wire straps to all the vacuum lines around the engine. It is at this point that I made a mistake and connected the hose coming from the TurboSmart boost controller to the wrong port on the wastegate. . More on this later ....
I also connected the QTP electric cutout and checked that it was operating correctly. After that I went on to test the car at the same 10 psi boost level that I tried yesterday but this time I was going for it with the cutout in the open position. Let me tell you that the 3" free flowing open exhaust really helps the turbo build boost and it sure showed it.
I floored the car on third gear and in the blink of an eye the turbo built more boost than I could think of and the car pulled really hard for that brief moment and suddenly I heard and feel one VERY BIG BOOOOOOOOM!!!!!
Engine turned off, I pressed the clutch instantly and thought WTF!!!!!!

After stopping on the side lane I cranked the engine and it didn't turned on but it had oil pressure and sounded about normal . I opened the hood to check for a blown silicone coupler and after checking that I found this......

This is behind the throttle body side of the Intake Manifold. A

nd this is the Intake Manifold after I removed it about one hour later.

And with very minimal force I end with this......

Tomorrow I will take the Intake Manifold to the fabricator so he can fix it and put it back in the car to continue tuning.........

Pito
Old 11-10-2007, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hah, i bet that manifold was screaming OMG TO MUCH BOOST!
Old 11-10-2007, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Ok time for
Old 11-10-2007, 11:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok time for
^^ You was really Waiting for Pito's response!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 11:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The welds were grinded down to the point where their strength was compromised severely (we didn't knew until today). It looked very good polished so no one really bothered (incluiding myself) about the welds.

Today I was about to continue the tuning of the engine/e-Manage combo so I decided to install some wire straps to all the vacuum lines around the engine. It is at this point that I made a mistake and connected the hose coming from the TurboSmart boost controller to the wrong port on the wastegate. . More on this later ....
I also connected the QTP electric cutout and checked that it was operating correctly. After that I went on to test the car at the same 10 psi boost level that I tried yesterday but this time I was going for it with the cutout in the open position. Let me tell you that the 3" free flowing open exhaust really helps the turbo build boost and it sure showed it.
I floored the car on third gear and in the blink of an eye the turbo built more boost than I could think of and the car pulled really hard for that brief moment and suddenly I heard and feel one VERY BIG BOOOOOOOOM!!!!!
Engine turned off, I pressed the clutch instantly and thought WTF!!!!!!

After stopping on the side lane I cranked the engine and it didn't turned on but it had oil pressure and sounded about normal . I opened the hood to check for a blown silicone coupler and after checking that I found this......

This is behind the throttle body side of the Intake Manifold. A
HOLY BOOM BATMAN jajajajajaj
you blow your engine fuse.
espero que no haya sido en la 30 raceway park jajajaa
Old 11-10-2007, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^ No it's was while tunning the car at Aguadilla.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:44 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

OH MY GOD!!!
Those welds held NOTHING. The whole thing fell apart. Cant wait to see it fixed and up and running.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

soooooooo it ended something like this...

I told you it looked like a shiny PS3!

Hope you get this solved this week! I dream everynight about seeing this car on the strip in Carolina!
Old 11-10-2007, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I think this whole build is fake and you should bring your car to NJ and personally prove to me you have this nice car. ha. j/k - I have no understanding how that much hp feels in the tC because I know what mine feels like ...yours is WOW! If only I knew how to do engine rebuilds I surely would attempt what you are doing ...but labor alone is stopping me. Maybe in a few years ill rebuild it if I plan to really keep it for a long time ...that question I can not currently answer atm.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionGT35R

Ok time for
^^ You was really Waiting for Pito's response!!!!!!!
No I wasn't really staying up for that but it did help me sleep a little better.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trdtcpr

Hope you get this solved this week! I dream everynight about seeing this car on the strip in Carolina!
where the f@<k you get those pics from ?????

By the way I want one PS3 for christmas. What you can do for me????
Old 11-10-2007, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks to me like the fault was in the finishers job, the fabricator did his job BUT the guy polishing and finishing it messed up.

looks like aesthetics got in the way of form and function...
Old 11-10-2007, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Depends on who calculated the force that will be applied. I do not know the answer to that question so if it was me i could claim that this was a first time trial/error ..... now for who finished it .... you would assume they would know a lot more then me since thats what they do.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionGT35R
Originally Posted by trdtcpr

where the f@<k you get those pics from ?????

By the way I want one PS3 for christmas. What you can do for me????
Unfortunately I don't get discount on any console only games and accesories! but they're only $399 40 GB and $499 80 GB so get the console and let me know which game you want and i'll get it at discount!
Old 11-10-2007, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member

hey where can i get an intake manafold like that
Old 11-10-2007, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by BostonTC20
hey where can i get an intake manafold like that
custom!
Old 11-10-2007, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

ooo not good. Hopefully everything goes well
Old 11-10-2007, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mugetsu
Looks to me like the fault was in the finishers job, the fabricator did his job BUT the guy polishing and finishing it messed up.

looks like aesthetics got in the way of form and function...
It was his fault. We didn't ask him to do it but he thougth it will look better that way and he was rigth . We noticed but danm!!!! It look so good that we dont even care about the welds .
Old 11-10-2007, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey GT35R you could still keep that type of finish on the edges but you would need your fabricator to double weld it.
on the "inside" and out side of the manifold.
of course the final panel would be impossible to weld on the inside BUT you could ask the finisher to leave those 2 welds alone and have them be the ones facing down towards the ground.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mugetsu
Hey GT35R you could still keep that type of finish on the edges but you would need your fabricator to double weld it.
on the "inside" and out side of the manifold.
of course the final panel would be impossible to weld on the inside BUT you could ask the finisher to leave those 2 welds alone and have them be the ones facing down towards the ground.
Yes it can be welded from the inside. Even more now that he has an opening of about 14" x 5" !!

I already took the manifold to the fabricator to be welded in the inside and on the outside. As you said the only panel with welds only on the outside will be the back one (last to be installed).
Today I had to listen again to the speech that the fabricator gave me because of the grinding of the welds by the polishing guy. Thank god it was only the fourth or fifth time he gave me the speech since yesterday at 1:00 PM !!

As a side note I was informed today about the more than a few Magnus Intake manifolds that had blown apart on Mitsubishi engines .

The manifold will be here on Tuesday and I plan to install it without being polished because the polishing can take about a week to complete (it is polished by hand) and I don't have the time to wait for it. I have another tC waiting for an engine and I only have a one car garage. Even my own car sleeps outside this days !

Pito

Quick Reply: ScionGT35R 476whp@19psi pics all over