Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

scionlife, help me piece together a turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:08 PM

Default scionlife, help me piece together a turbo kit

So after the great debate of NA, turbo, or supercharger I have come up with the idea to just piece together my own turbo kit to achieve apprx 200whp (and hopefully save some money by doing so). Since id be running on such low boost, could I save some money and use a cheap ebay intercooler? bov? would i need to upgrade my injectors running that low of boost? on a side note, i saw somebody claiming they could use the TRD tune with a turbo kit they had running at low boost making about 200whp. please provide input to your theories about this set up, how well it would work, and what it would take.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I woulnd't cheap out on anything important. Yea you can get away with an Ebay intercooler, and possibly piping, but you will have to modify it to fit. Don't cheap out on the turbo, wastegate or bov. Those are key components to the set up. I would recommend getting atleast 440cc injectors if not 550cc and a piggyback to be safe. You can find good deals in the FS threads here.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if all you want is 200whp a turbo is over kill. just build it N/A

to answer your question though. I have an ebay intercooler and pipeing, and ebay manifold and down pipe, and im making close to 300whp on 10psi

get a good turbo and a good wastegate you will be ok. I would recommend getting at least 440cc injectors and some sort of engine management just to be safe
Old 02-24-2010, 10:36 PM
SL Member

Default turbo kit

Originally Posted by joohnn
So after the great debate of NA, turbo, or supercharger I have come up with the idea to just piece together my own turbo kit to achieve apprx 200whp (and hopefully save some money by doing so). Since id be running on such low boost, could I save some money and use a cheap ebay intercooler? bov? would i need to upgrade my injectors running that low of boost? on a side note, i saw somebody claiming they could use the TRD tune with a turbo kit they had running at low boost making about 200whp. please provide input to your theories about this set up, how well it would work, and what it would take.
I may have a lot of what you wish to buy here, left over from Kenny Strickler fiasco. Fell free to email john@turbochargers.com or message me.
david@turbochargers.com
Old 02-25-2010, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ i sent u an email
Old 04-17-2010, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Blue_TC_Man
if all you want is 200whp a turbo is over kill. just build it N/A

i would love to. how hard is it to install pistons? ive never done that before. I've installed cams on my old mustang and did a head swap on it later (just to give you an idea on my mechanical experience...) because to my knowledge in order to build a fast NA car you need high comp pistons..
Old 04-17-2010, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would love to. how hard is it to install pistons? ive never done that before. I've installed cams on my old mustang and did a head swap on it later (just to give you an idea on my mechanical experience...) because to my knowledge in order to build a fast NA car you need high comp pistons..
All motor alone will definitely require higher compression pistons to get to 200whp.

As far as installing them, I'd leave it to a machine shop. The block will need to be bored and honed, and have the entire rotating assembly balanced at the very least. That doesn't even begin to touch on other work required such as pulling the motor from the car, tearing it apart, building it back to spec, and then reinstalling the motor.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy2k4
All motor alone will definitely require higher compression pistons to get to 200whp.

As far as installing them, I'd leave it to a machine shop. The block will need to be bored and honed, and have the entire rotating assembly balanced at the very least. That doesn't even begin to touch on other work required such as pulling the motor from the car, tearing it apart, building it back to spec, and then reinstalling the motor.
hmmm i could pull the motor and just take the block to a machine shop i guess. damn, this could get costly... exactly why i was thinkin of going turbo because i could just install that at my house in my garage in a day or two.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't boost on a budget!!!!! I'll sell you my custom kit. Lol
Old 04-17-2010, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm i could pull the motor and just take the block to a machine shop i guess. damn, this could get costly... exactly why i was thinkin of going turbo because i could just install that at my house in my garage in a day or two.
This is why many people decide to do a simple bolt on turbo kit. I pulled my motor, swapped for a built block and then reassembled it. I think it was about 2 grand and a month's downtime when all was said and done
Old 04-17-2010, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

honestly i would just search on the FS thread and pick up a turbo kit from someone on here for 2500 or so which will most likely include everything you need and it would be legit....just go turbo and do it right thats all...u'll prob spend more time and money taking the block out to have a higher comp piston installed and do all that work than to just buy a bolt on kit from someone on here for a good price and make 300WHP...now which sounds better? lol...than doing all of that and than only make 200whp
Old 04-17-2010, 02:03 PM
SL Member

I have part of a kit left over from Kenny bs, i can take photos and sell it cheap. the turbo i can sell warrantied and new or rebuilt by turbochargers.com. just tell me what parts you need, i will have many in stock.

david
Old 04-17-2010, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

David you should post on the classifieds. Are you running a shop or website we can check out? I don't know much about your company accept for the fact that _______ scammed you.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:51 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by m6ar2cel6oTC
David you should post on the classifieds. Are you running a shop or website we can check out? I don't know much about your company accept for the fact that _______ scammed you.
I am trying to pick up the pieces that that crook Kenny left me in. i have a turbo repair shop, and I am trying to run a web site as I have some great manufactures behind me. I am hiring a web guy to do just what you said, there is not enough time for me to do it all.
david@turbochargers.com
Old 04-20-2010, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i stopped by Davids shop a while back. great guys www.turbochargers.com should be a sponsor in the classifieds.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:39 PM
SL Member

I just found out that we sell the turbo kits for the Scions. they are the genuine Turbonetics kits and we can sell then for $3100 as a tuner kit or $3350 for the complete kit. Turbonectics sold the rights to these kits a while back, but hte new distributor uses Turbonetics parts.
just so you all know what is really going on and we don't have another Kenny thing to screw things up.

please put this up to those guys that may want a little discount.
thanks
david@turbochargers.com
Old 04-20-2010, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

david you doing anymore hireing? I need a yob...lol
Old 04-20-2010, 07:07 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002
david you doing anymore hireing? I need a yob...lol
come by