Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

in search of s/c

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:04 AM

Question in search of s/c

hey ive been working on my tc for awhile, but kept to n/a since i am going to school and broke... but ive been wondering if anybody knows a GOOD DEAL ON S/C'S? and before people start ranting about turbos, i do like turbos but where i live and how i drive a s/c is more practical.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

s/c is poop. too much money for too little hp gain. also they have a tendency to fail. if you dont want a turbo, just stay n/a
Old 09-25-2012, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ebay
Old 09-25-2012, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're going to school, and you're broke, DO NOT attempt to put a supercharger on the car. Just leave it, get through school, and once you have a steady job and less concern about your income, start fooling around with boost.

Most of the problems with the superchargers were from bad installations and poor care of the hardware itself while in storage. If this car is your only means of conveyance and you heavily depend on it, do not mess with it.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 PM

ok let me update. im going to school to get my auto tech dregree so will be working on it myself, and will be done shortly and be able to replace all the bearings and seals that ive read go bad
Old 09-25-2012, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep an eye out for ones that are F/S here on SL. I picked up one before summer from a SL member and my bro 'n I rebuilt the whole thing. Just installed it last weekend and had issues with timing (maybe bad mapping in ECU that was TRD flashed), blown fuse's...but took it in to toyota and they took care of it by updating it. Just a heads up of what you may get into. I had to find the 65k + (small) speed rated bearings myself. There is a poster here that can get you ceramic rebuild kit. If you go this route then I wish you luck. Everyone's experience will vary.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:49 PM

ok thanks man! at least someone on here actually tries to help rather than be a debbie downer
Old 09-25-2012, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not a Debbie Downer, just a realist, and in your initial post, you make no mention of your mechanical prowless, by default, when I see student, I don't think trade school auto tech, I think more towards college, and the last thing a broke college student should do is jeopardize the reliability of his car while also making it require 91 octane gas.

Giving advice is helping, you have no idea how bad some people's priorities can be, and they are sometimes blissfully unaware of the can of worms they may open modifying cars.

best of luck with the supercharger, I was happy with mine for the price i got it for, but trust me, the turbo blows it away, you can always change later if you have the time money and desire.