Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

SERIOUS PROBLEM PLEASE HELP! lol

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default SERIOUS PROBLEM PLEASE HELP! lol

yo whats up everyone...i hit a dead end right now...thinking about selling the car....so many problems....but here is my problem the other day i was driving down the street and my car stalls....i was like wtf....so i started the car up again...and it just keeps stalling.....the car would start up but then 1 second later it would just stall.....I had the car taken over to rippmods....and there having trouble finding the problem....they thought it was the ecu....so they took the ecu out and put a new 1 in still nothing...car just keeps stalling...!!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: SERIOUS PROBLEM PLEASE HELP! lol

Originally Posted by DaGreat1
yo whats up everyone...i hit a dead end right now...thinking about selling the car....so many problems....but here is my problem the other day i was driving down the street and my car stalls....i was like wtf....so i started the car up again...and it just keeps stalling.....the car would start up but then 1 second later it would just stall.....I had the car taken over to rippmods....and there having trouble finding the problem....they thought it was the ecu....so they took the ecu out and put a new 1 in still nothing...car just keeps stalling...!!!!
sorry to hear that man, i hope the experts on these boards can help you out.

2 things i can think of which prolly have nothing to do with it.
1- did you check all fuses ?
2- did you make sure your 2nd o2 sensor isnt touching a pipe of any kind ?

sorry thats all i can think of, i am no expert but it's worth a try.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i looked at the fuse...but i will see about the second thing you said thanks alot
Old 05-02-2007, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

activate the turbine signal! we need 318 tc, garage 1217, yamaha16bw, both dezods, rythmnsmoke and any other turbo buffs i forgot to name!
Old 05-02-2007, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Vac leak? Leaking fuel injector? Bad MAF sensor? Dead o2 sensor? Could be lots of stuff. Nothing that isnt fixable.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Just fyi....I was driving down the street the other day not even boosting. Car dies completely at 55mph. Started back up but was idleing really bad and would die anytime I came to a stop. I had a dead o2 sensor. 5 minute fix and runs like new.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

see, with great help like this on scionlife there is always hope, don't give up on your tc! with so many successful boosted tc running around, there shouldn't be anything unfixable on your tc!
Old 05-02-2007, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yeah, just part of our hobby. Dont give up though.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any dtc's ?
Old 05-02-2007, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member

Got a wideband? What's it reading before it the car dies?
Old 05-02-2007, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Fuel pump dead..?

Also they claimed to change the ecm... that would not work unless they programmed the new unit for the car and only a TINY fraction of us know how to do that,... If they changed it and did not re-program it then yeah, you would turn the key, it would bairly start and the engine immobilizer would kill it right away....

To take the o2 out of the picture, just unplug it. Car runs fine with them unplugged, Also you car will run at idle with a dead maf....

What engine management..? Could have went nuts or lost it's program, anything is possible... Re-load your map...

If you are running a piggyback have you checked ALL wireing in detail to see if anything came loose..?

Any other electronics recently installed? Such as a turbo timer or alarm..?

Last, did they run a hot compression test or leakdown to check the internals..???
Old 05-02-2007, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like a vacuum leak... If the car is trying to run off a wrong maf reading then it will never keep an idle (and if it does it will be REALLY rough). Also do you have a wideband?? When it runs can you tell us the AFR??
Old 05-02-2007, 04:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ohhh man, thats alot "it could be" problems.. im not a pacient type of person, i would of given up as soon as i heard these replies LOL, im sooo weak.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well with as much as he has invested I wouldnt give up.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, even if he sold the car, he wouldn't get $#!*back for it, especially trying to sell a tc that doesn't run. tough it out man, just speed bump on the road of life.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:39 AM
GEO
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 05-02-2007, 04:39 AM
GEO
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow thats odd because the same thing happen to me on Sunday. I know my problem was that I was running to rich because my AFR would drop to 10 sometimes. I was planning to take it to get tuned this weekend oh well. Car's in a race shop for toyotas now and I'm waiting to see what they say but I'm sure my oxygen seonsor is probably dead. It started and idled but I couldn't get it pass second gear and it would die if i let go of the gas. Can't wait to see the damage bill.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:58 AM
Banned
SL Member

Hate to chime in with possible bad news, but how about asking the shop to do a leak down test on all of the cylinders. Might be nothing, but I had a similar problem and it was none of the above issues/suggestions. Turns out my rings had collapsed and the landings were broken on the pistons. No compression, no combustion, no running. I had about 20% compression in each cylinder.

I hope that's not the same issue for you. Good luck!
Old 05-02-2007, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yeah the tC pistons are weak and go FAST when detonation happens..... If the tune is super safe then all should be good. That is why I also brought up the compression test as well. If things went south a/f wise and you were in boost land... the world may have ended inside the motor. Also TRD claimed toyota possibly had a bad run of pistons after my first motor went with less than 100 miles on the supercharger, all 4 pistons had destroyed ring lands.. all on the same side of the piston and all broken in the exact same places.. Was totally crazy. They covered it 100% as the install was perfect "installed by me" and gave me a rental and everything but it took a week of fighting. Long story and was actually funny but ended well..

They did give me a hard time trying to claim I was running nitrous *LOL* even sent the pistons off to be tested to see if I ran it, all was clean. They they mentioned they "might have an issue" with the pistons.. Toyota themselves never admitted it, just trd mentioned it so the service advisor told me that.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just put new piston and rods in there 8:5:1 i dont think its that...there BRAND new

Quick Reply: SERIOUS PROBLEM PLEASE HELP! lol