Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

short block problems need help BAADD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 01:33 PM

Default short block problems need help BAADD!!!

ok, just put on stg2 Dezod turbo kit. did a compression test and have problem with 3rd cylinder. checked, and have oil coming out of the exhaust. just wondering if i have to get a whole new short block or if i can send in mine the way it is to dezod and get it sleeved, ported, etc? do they only work with "engines that arent messed up" or can they? im currently in Haiti so i would like to come back knowing what i have to do while im here rather than coming back and used up this "downtime" for nothing. any answers would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
stg2tc
Old 03-09-2010, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

check the turbo to be blown or check ur return line it could be clogged up
Old 03-09-2010, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

what were the readings? Might want to call up dezod and explain whats going on and what they can do.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

if the motor is bad, its gonna be hard to tell if it can be rebuilt or not it needs to be opened and see if the block is good for rebuild
Old 03-09-2010, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace83
if the motor is bad, its gonna be hard to tell if it can be rebuilt or not it needs to be opened and see if the block is good for rebuild
word
Old 03-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

motor is bad.... i suspect it was due to you not installing spring bolts....yup its was the spring bolts alright
Old 03-09-2010, 03:13 PM

i never ran the turbo, it has 0 miles on it. so i know its not bad. from what im hearing their is no oil or nething "clogged" in the turbo. i think imma just have to open it up. idk what would be cheaper to do; buy a alrdy "done" short block from dezod or buy a new motor out a junkyard and slap the turbo back on. im thinkin i might have alrdy had problems with it beforehand and just didnt know it. since putting the turbo on, everything has been "magnified" by so much that it worsened the problem that was alrdy there.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

how's the compression numbers? a used good stock motor will be much cheaper but you will never know what is has gone through so im not sure how reliable you will be able to boost that one.. If you go with a built short block that would be better but you will just have to send your core, that will suck if your motor right now cant be rebuilt
Old 03-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im sorry but i will have to ask, why a dezod block? i would suggest ptuning block its just under 2.5k and has been race n dyno proven

im not sayign dezod block is bad but i can tell you i havent seen any results form people running it
Old 03-09-2010, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

I would suggest the ptuning block ss spec too if you are not aiming high hp you will save too.. dezod block is fairly new, im sure those running are still bored breaking it in lol
Old 03-09-2010, 04:16 PM

ya, fa sho i would def go with the ptuning block, do they just sell a brand new one? is that the one for 2.5k? if they just take mine the way it is ill just do that unless ithey sell brand new. money isnt an option right now, just want my block fixed properly.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Junkyard is going to be cheaper by far, $800-$1500. If you have the money though, grab the built block. From the sound of it though, it may just be a bad ring, so your block could be rebuilt.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stg2tC
ya, fa sho i would def go with the ptuning block, do they just sell a brand new one? is that the one for 2.5k? if they just take mine the way it is ill just do that unless ithey sell brand new. money isnt an option right now, just want my block fixed properly.

as soon as u pay ui get the block and give them yours....easy as that, your block if its good will be someone elses core...
Old 03-09-2010, 04:45 PM

ya, when i get home i guess best way to go would be to pull it and inspect first. u think rebuilding would be cheaper than junkyard tho? cause either way ill have it built neway in the long run. could just grab a junkyard motor and send it off right away.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cburglb34
as soon as u pay ui get the block and give them yours....easy as that, your block if its good will be someone elses core...
If his block is not good, I'd assume they would keep the $1000 core charge. I may be wrong on this.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

yup, but i suggest opening up the motor first to see if its good to be sent as a core.. that way you wouldnt be spending money for freight for a rejected block
Old 03-09-2010, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

After reading your first post I have a few questions.

1. Did you perform a compression test?

2. If so what were the results?

3. It sounds like you are away, did you install this kit or did someone install it for you?

4. Did this problem occur directly after installation or was this a problem before hand?

5. Did you drive the car and then this problem occoured or did it occur after installation while idling?

6. Did you install your spring bolts? j/k

Some detailed info will help us help you diagnose the problem a little better
Old 03-09-2010, 08:49 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I guess i must be out of the loop about the whole spring bolt thing?
Old 03-09-2010, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ cracked manifold
Old 03-10-2010, 12:49 PM

After reading your first post I have a few questions.

1. Did you perform a compression test?

2. If so what were the results?

3. It sounds like you are away, did you install this kit or did someone install it for you?

4. Did this problem occur directly after installation or was this a problem before hand?

5. Did you drive the car and then this problem occoured or did it occur after installation while idling?

6. Did you install your spring bolts? j/k

Some detailed info will help us help you diagnose the problem a little better

yes, i am away currently in Haiti but should be back (est) april 15th-May 1st. i have had a friend (does good work from what ive seen) install everything on for me.

1.) did compression test (dont know the exact results) said 3rd cylinder is messed up.

2.) didnt have this problem before installation. (dont really know the exact problems.)

3.) havent driven the car yet cause when i got back from Afghanistan (roughly 4-5 months ago, then immediately went to Haiti within 3 months of bein back.) everything is installed just having a lot of "white" smoke comin out the back, checked for oil and their is some in the exhaust pipe. it is rough in the beginning with idling then afterwards it calms down. i can "drive" it somewhat (no more than 15-20mph) and dont get much throttle response.

Quick Reply: short block problems need help BAADD!!!