Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Should I report my S/C to my insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and they will not automatically raise your rates as simply said.
what YOU will do, is ask for a rider for 'customizations', like you might do if you had aftermarket leather or stereo equipment installed. This covers you if the car is in an accident, totalled and items need to be replaced. You just spent over $3k for a part. lets say it was a screen, big a$$ subs and amps..would you tell them? uh yesssss.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^ we did same thing, to cover value of stereo, sc, etc.
It was only a few bucks, but well worth it in case of an accident. we all know cars lose value, even more so if you try to claim on your collision, so why add to that loss by not being able to replace the sc or any other expensive mods ( even wheels, etc )?
Our insurance with or without the sc had little variance; premium only went up the bit to cover rider, not because it was now blown.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i guess this is what i'll do,

1. tell them about the s/c and record down the name of the person, date and time you call them and tell them about it.
2. see how much rate they raise, most likely they will only raise a little because it only counts as extra part, but no significant performance gain to put you to a higher risk.
3. if they raise a little, pay it and you got yourself covered, if they raise it a lot, then try to tell them its a factory option and see if they willing to lower the rate to something more reasonable. if not, your stuck with it, and pay it.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Save the money you would spend paying extra on the insurance, but I mean it, LIKE save 25% of what you would pay and in no time you would have the money to pay for another supercharger in case you get involved in an accident. It's way better than give the money to them directly.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ we added the 4k rider, and it was between $4-5 per month additional.... Takes a ong time at that rate to cover an sc if our car would be totalled. Maybe it was cheaper for us due to our age/driving records, but i'd at least suggest to anyone to get it quoted instead of guessing or following what experience one of us may have had... then make the decision that's best for that situation...
If i'm gonna save extra per month; that's going to an account that's not for cars/toys anyways...
Again, this is what worked for us, may not for someone else
Old 09-24-2006, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^
yeah the rider should be less than $75/yr. i'm too lazy to pull out my declaration page to tell you how much i pay.
everyone else here is speculating and doesn't understand how insurance works.