Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Slapped on a turbo.. now what? AEM EMS vs. Rods + Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Originally Posted by recliner15
Originally Posted by brett561tc
take it from someone who did option #1 first. GO WITH OPTION #2!!!!!!!!!

granted you can make 400 at the wheels with the e-manage. however, give it a week or two and that number will drop significantly. the e-manage gets biscuit slaped by the cars ecu constantly. 2nd to the exauhst manifold/ turbo combo. the ems is the corner stone of your turbo kit. that is how you will make the power. having a built motor, and a crappy e-manage, is like having a footlong weiner and not being able to get hard.
Someone with expierence chiming it.. thanks brett

So retune it... As mentioned though, a standalone should be bought generally at the same time. But if I had to choose one "before" the other, then I choose built motor first.

If having to retune it ever so often due to the ecu slapping around the emanage is the biggest problem, it's not big enough to make me want to go standalone before built motor. Especially if you are tuning your own ride, or get discounts from a tuner to tune your ride.

But hey, the OP has the information, it's all about making a decision now.
something about spending $300 every week or so on a tune just doesnt sit right with me. also the fact that the e-manage keeps blowing my coilpacks isnt that much fun either. but hey, do what you feel is best. if you dont want to take the friendly advice of someone who has been down this road, then dont. i wont lose any sleep over it tonight.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^At that point, I think I would have taken the initiative to just learn to tune it myself. Every week is a little bit of an exaggeration don't you think?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly he's pretty accurate. The stock ECU will change your eManage tune pretty drastically regardless of how well ti's tuned. When you have more extremes like 15+ psi, an ECU that's constantly fighting another ECU doesn't make much sense anymore. Driveability is key, and the only way to get an OEM feel to how the car should run is to go with an AEM EMS. The FIC is a great unit for those running stock engines because it still works really well. The higher horsepower goals that some have on here really need something more sophisticated and that's where the EMS comes in.

We see power gains and good torque increases even on naturally aspirated cars, including the tC. With 400+ horsepower on tap, I think it's an essential component.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^At that point, I think I would have taken the initiative to just learn to tune it myself. Every week is a little bit of an exaggeration don't you think?
nope. and as for tuning it yourself. i hope you have free acess to a dyno. cause if you are simply refering to a "street tune", then i hope you get alot of $$$ for your 350z.

simply put, the e-manage is a band-aid tuning device that works well ONLY for entry level boost aplications.

as for the original poster. its up to you wich one you do first. it really doesnt matter, because you will need to eventualy do both. just dont listen to theses people on here who have absolutley no point of referance saying that 400whp is just as easy as building the block and you're gold. unless you have a full standalone, you will not be able to take full advantage of your setup, stock or built.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

nope. and as for tuning it yourself. i hope you have free acess to a dyno. cause if you are simply refering to a "street tune", then i hope you get alot of $$$ for your 350z.

I'm not sure I follow you. What would my Z have anything to do with tunning my tC?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Wow...so let me make sure I have this correct, seeing as how I'm Missing a lot....lol...so, if a ring washes out, or a rod is deformed (Granted we are talking about a Built block here), it's the fault of the Emanage. But on a STOCK block with AEM standalone, you are somehow bullet proof just because you have a standalone?

Yeah, I'm going to have to say I disagree.

You seem to keep forgetting that we are comparing

A) Built Block 2az with Emanage

and

B) Stock Block 2az with AEM

I'm sorry, I fail to see how option B is a Bullet proof option over option A. And I fail to see how Emanage is So MONUMENTALLY erroneous that it's going to wash out aftermarket piston rings or deform (Stronger that stock) rods.
I never said it's bulletproof, but control is there. The E-manage WILL NOT control the car enough to have the reliability. Point proven 100 times over!! If you think the $300 e-manage is the said all of engine management systems and has AWESOME control, you either one: live in a plastic bubble, two: are incredibly ignorant and love to argue with me just to hear yourself or three: have ZERO experience in depth with this unit as I do. I hate to bring this point out again, but cmon man. You're like talking to a 3" thick wall.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not sure I follow you. What would my Z have anything to do with tunning my tC?
it was just a little joke about how much money you would be spending on fixing the tc tring to tune it for 400whp+ with an e-manage, on the street, sans dyno.

sorry. its still early for me.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

something about spending $300 every week or so on a tune just doesnt sit right with me. also the fact that the e-manage keeps blowing my coilpacks isnt that much fun either. but hey, do what you feel is best. if you dont want to take the friendly advice of someone who has been down this road, then dont. i wont lose any sleep over it tonight.
SPeaking from experience here. You are not the first tC to have the coil pack issue on a high powered 2AZ. Jeff was the first to have this issue and it's due to the way the e-mangle alters the voltage to the coilpacks in an ignition retard mode.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But Paul my emanage gave me like an extra 100whp on an Evo!!! My turbo spools faster too!

(Kidding)
Old 02-05-2008, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I Agree with people from both sides here but I'm still lost on how installing rods and pistons will cost $2000. I can get all the tools from Toyota(have friends that work for the local dealership) and I already have all of Toyota's manuels for the 2az. I think I'll build my motor first just because the motor I'll be building wont even be in my car. I have it sitting in my garage already completely disassembled.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're definitely luckier than some then. Some people do not have such access and end up paying top dollar in labor, which can sometimes be more than the parts being installed.

I can see where one could argue for both sides. Some just know how crucial the EMS stuff can be as you approach extremes. As said before, ultimatey you do both, but most start with one. The one we always suggest is the EMS.

If you have those connections I could see how you'd justify spending a lot less to do a big upgrade to the car. Just don't push it much until your engine management is there to take care of it.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod

Wow...so let me make sure I have this correct, seeing as how I'm Missing a lot....lol...so, if a ring washes out, or a rod is deformed (Granted we are talking about a Built block here), it's the fault of the Emanage. But on a STOCK block with AEM standalone, you are somehow bullet proof just because you have a standalone?

Yeah, I'm going to have to say I disagree.

You seem to keep forgetting that we are comparing

A) Built Block 2az with Emanage

and

B) Stock Block 2az with AEM

I'm sorry, I fail to see how option B is a Bullet proof option over option A. And I fail to see how Emanage is So MONUMENTALLY erroneous that it's going to wash out aftermarket piston rings or deform (Stronger that stock) rods.
I never said it's bulletproof, but control is there. The E-manage WILL NOT control the car enough to have the reliability. Point proven 100 times over!! If you think the $300 e-manage is the said all of engine management systems and has AWESOME control, you either one: live in a plastic bubble, two: are incredibly ignorant and love to argue with me just to hear yourself or three: have ZERO experience in depth with this unit as I do. I hate to bring this point out again, but cmon man. You're like talking to a 3" thick wall.

Paul....come on dude:

Originally Posted by Rhythmnsmoke
In all actuality though, a person who purchases a built motor, usually waste no time in purchasing a Standalone right afterwards. This really should not be a "This" or "That" case.

I remember saying that didn't I.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

it was just a little joke about how much money you would be spending on fixing the tc tring to tune it for 400whp+ with an e-manage, on the street, sans dyno.

sorry. its still early for me.

Yeah, that joke was a little dry. A little in left field.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In all actuality though, a person who purchases a built motor, usually waste no time in purchasing a Standalone right afterwards. This really should not be a "This" or "That" case.
i think it should be a this or that case. option #1 will give you the abillity to make more power than option#2. but only for a little while. once the tune starts going to crap, and coilpacks start blowing, you end up spending the money you were saving to get the standalone on getting your car runnig right again.(<----PERSONAL EXPERIANCE) however if you choose to go standalone first. then you can run your stock block setup at its maximum potential, without having to worry about stuff going wrong. all the while you can save up for internals. then when the block is built, you can take full advantage of that setup too.

again, this is just my opinion. you guys are gonna do whatever you want. im just trying to let you learn from my mistakes.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think it should be a this or that case. option #1 will give you the abillity to make more power than option#2. but only for a little while. once the tune starts going to crap, and coilpacks start blowing, you end up spending the money you were saving to get the standalone on getting your car runnig right again.(<----PERSONAL EXPERIANCE) however if you choose to go standalone first. then you can run your stock block setup at its maximum potential, without having to worry about stuff going wrong. all the while you can save up for internals. then when the block is built, you can take full advantage of that setup too.

again, this is just my opinion. you guys are gonna do whatever you want. im just trying to let you learn from my mistakes.
DID you blow your engine with the e-manage ?
you are talking like it was the e-manage FAULT on your engine.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCFROEZEL

The e-manage is the culprite of blowing coilpacks for sure.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rhythmnsmoke
usually waste no time in purchasing a Standalone right afterwards.
In either case, you won't be reaching each options "maximum" potential until both are purchased.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCFROEZEL

The e-manage is the culprite of blowing coilpacks for sure.

I guess my question would be then, going from a stock motor to a built one (rods/pistons), what causes the emanage to now start blowing coil packs, when all you changed when it comes to the motor itself, are rods and pistons?

I have not experienced any blown coil packs in the near 2 years I've been running on the blue box. So, if I go built motor, what parameters will now confilict with the Emanage that didn't when the motor was stock, to cause it to screw with the coil packs?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

option # 1 and #2 put together seem to be the best choice to me, lol
Old 02-05-2008, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

SPeaking from experience here. You are not the first tC to have the coil pack issue on a high powered 2AZ. Jeff was the first to have this issue and it's due to the way the e-mangle alters the voltage to the coilpacks in an ignition retard mode.
Is this coil pack issue with just the blue or ultimate too?

Quick Reply: Slapped on a turbo.. now what? AEM EMS vs. Rods + Pistons