Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Slapped on a turbo.. now what? AEM EMS vs. Rods + Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
Originally Posted by TCFROEZEL

DID you blow your engine with the e-manage ?
you are talking like it was the e-manage FAULT on your engine.
The e-manage is the culprite of blowing coilpacks for sure.
Based on what did you speculate that Paul ?
Old 02-06-2008, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My thing is that if you get the EMS first, you pay for tune, then you build, up the boost, and you have to get tuned again, and an EMS tune will cost more then a piggyback tune.

Or, you could build the block on your existing tune and when you finally get the EMS, get it tuned and your done.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

This is with the Ultimates AND Blues. The way the e-mangles retard timing is by skewing the voltage to the coilpacks. Unlike the FIC, which acutally alters the cam and crank signals like the EMS.......The skewing of the voltage in an more aggressive retard or advance mode makes the packs go pop. The voltage staggers out of it's stable range and makes the pack go bye bye.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

I guess my question would be then, going from a stock motor to a built one (rods/pistons), what causes the emanage to now start blowing coil packs, when all you changed when it comes to the motor itself, are rods and pistons?

I have not experienced any blown coil packs in the near 2 years I've been running on the blue box. So, if I go built motor, what parameters will now confilict with the Emanage that didn't when the motor was stock, to cause it to screw with the coil packs?
paul has pretty much answered this question. but to help exlpain. with your car travis, you are only running in the neigborhood of 10psi of boost to my knowlage. so im geussing that you dont have much timing pulled. mabey a couple of degrees. my car was running 20psi of boost for a long time. i had about 6-7 degrees pulled. the more you retard the timming, the more the e-manage will alter voltage to the coilpacks. this is the case for jeff and i. i have since backed down the boost to 14psi, and am still blowing coilpacks.

like i said before. the e-manage is only good for mild boost aplications. trying to push it any farther than that will only result in dissapointment.

as for the question about me blowing my motor. no, the motor is fine. in fact its pretty damn stout. i've had compression tests done recently, and they showed that the engine was tip top. bout the only thing strickler ever did right.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, that settles it! All you need is a turbo setup that gives you 450whp at 11psi and youre better off with a built motor then the AEM EMS
Old 02-06-2008, 06:29 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get both for 6050 and run lots more boost and be happy with it
Old 02-06-2008, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by brett561tc
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

I guess my question would be then, going from a stock motor to a built one (rods/pistons), what causes the emanage to now start blowing coil packs, when all you changed when it comes to the motor itself, are rods and pistons?

I have not experienced any blown coil packs in the near 2 years I've been running on the blue box. So, if I go built motor, what parameters will now confilict with the Emanage that didn't when the motor was stock, to cause it to screw with the coil packs?
paul has pretty much answered this question. but to help exlpain. with your car travis, you are only running in the neigborhood of 10psi of boost to my knowlage. so im geussing that you dont have much timing pulled. mabey a couple of degrees. my car was running 20psi of boost for a long time. i had about 6-7 degrees pulled. the more you retard the timming, the more the e-manage will alter voltage to the coilpacks. this is the case for jeff and i. i have since backed down the boost to 14psi, and am still blowing coilpacks.

like i said before. the e-manage is only good for mild boost aplications. trying to push it any farther than that will only result in dissapointment.

as for the question about me blowing my motor. no, the motor is fine. in fact its pretty damn stout. i've had compression tests done recently, and they showed that the engine was tip top. bout the only thing strickler ever did right.

Kool.

Just for the record, I spike to 13 and settles on 11.5-12 PSI. Add some Race gas and I'll run 14 PSI.

By the way, what gave you the indication that your coil pack went bad?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
Well, that settles it! All you need is a turbo setup that gives you 450whp at 11psi and youre better off with a built motor then the AEM EMS

Big ___ turbo is the solution then....
Old 02-06-2008, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought it was going bad when the car started runing realy lean. my speculations were confirmed when the car started only runing on 3 cylinders.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

This is with the Ultimates AND Blues. The way the e-mangles retard timing is by skewing the voltage to the coilpacks. Unlike the FIC, which acutally alters the cam and crank signals like the EMS.......The skewing of the voltage in an more aggressive retard or advance mode makes the packs go pop. The voltage staggers out of it's stable range and makes the pack go bye bye.
I'm gonna try hard to get some money together and then I'll be giving you a call.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Ok Paul
Old 02-12-2008, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is actually a great discussion. I'm in a similar boat since I just got a bonus and can really afford only 1 of the 2 options. Instead of waiting another year to potentially get both, I wanted to do one or the other right now while I had available funds. I'm still up in the air though, but this has been helpful so far...
Old 02-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by IAmTheProdigy
This is actually a great discussion. I'm in a similar boat since I just got a bonus and can really afford only 1 of the 2 options. Instead of waiting another year to potentially get both, I wanted to do one or the other right now while I had available funds. I'm still up in the air though, but this has been helpful so far...
Glad to see someone in a similiar situation. Let me know what you decide to do.