Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Sleeper Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.ststurbo.com/how_it_works

Only hard part I see is running the charge pipe to the throttle body...
Old 06-06-2006, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want a TRUE sleeper car...

check out my ride once I unveil it.... I painted my FMIC flat black, I have the stock body, stock rims, stock interior. The only mod I have is my lowering springs...next to my custom turbo setup....

so keep your eyes on me and my car if you wanna see how to be a sleeper
Old 06-06-2006, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yeah sadly a hidden system would not work because even when you put the turbo where the axle back is. there is only one place you can run your charge pipe and that is next to your mid pipe. But you still have to get to the front of the car and the only place i saw i could run it and that is where the s- pipe sits on the right. The tranny and left side axle and chassis block the left off. Maybe someone can figure it out but i tried for a couple days with my car on a lift to make a decent plan and i couldn't do it.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
Ever heard of an STS kit?

A local Camero that I know of has one. Def. interesting kit. The turbine was located behind the rear axle.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the 350z whould be easy. those things lose alot to the wheels they are around like 225whp or so if i remember correct. the sti now the only way you can take one down is form a roll. and youd have to be pushin at least 265whp.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My car should be pretty "sleeperish" by the time I'm done but then again I'm no turbo
Old 06-06-2006, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by peteyd
the 350z whould be easy. those things lose alot to the wheels they are around like 225whp or so if i remember correct. the sti now the only way you can take one down is form a roll. and youd have to be pushin at least 265whp.

I concur. You would need a S/C with an upgraded pulley to take out the Z. You would need a turbo to take out the STI.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
Ever heard of an STS kit?

A local Camero that I know of has one. Def. interesting kit. The turbine was located behind the rear axle.
Didn't some older muscle cars have this as well. Don't know the year of that Camaro you are talking about, but I thought they had something like that for the old Chargers and GTO's.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^Not sure.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

supposedly if you paint black the intercooler you will attract more heat on to the intercooler cause of the color. Use a black shirt and a white one and go to walk on a sunny day on the street.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I doubt that much sun gets to a FMIC.
Unless you put it in a ditch :D
Old 06-06-2006, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

:D I know, but I said "supposedly" :D
Old 06-06-2006, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Dont confuse the lower WHP with a necessarrilly worse setup on the Z. I will agree though that they are not the fastest cars around. But you will need a decent amount more than equal HP to beat one for a couple of reasons:

1) the Z is most likely putting down a better power curve due to being NA and providing more tq
2) It has about a million times better setup for launching in a straight line due to the RWD setup

But I do agree, they arent THAT fast compared to some cars, so you can definitely beat one. But I would say it would be CLOSE with the SC even with the 9.5 lb pulley. The closest comparison I have found was a tc with a NST pulley pushing 231 whp, which still ran 14.3xxx. A good driver in a 350z could beat that stock.

So for that, and as mentioned, definitely the STI you are going to want a turbo to consistently be able to run with them. And then you better get the suspension setup to deal with the poor FWD launching setup. The STI and a RWD car have a good advantage there.

One question is, and forgive me if I missed it, are you wanting to compete in a straight line, or on a track? If the latter, you will be having some issues with anything that runs AWD or even just RWD given equal drivers.

As far as looking stock.. just keep the outside stock, and place the gauges in places where they dont stick out like a sore thumb. But from the inside or under the hood you will be giving it away
Old 06-06-2006, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I see a lotta Zs with turbos... yea, you don't want none of that
Old 06-06-2006, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
But I do agree, they arent THAT fast compared to some cars, so you can definitely beat one. But I would say it would be CLOSE with the SC even with the 9.5 lb pulley. The closest comparison I have found was a tc with a NST pulley pushing 231 whp, which still ran 14.3xxx. A good driver in a 350z could beat that stock.

Right, a bone stock Z will do a 14 flat, with a squirt or two in the 13.9 area. That's with a rather good driver.
Code:

Originally Posted by EnderSavesTheDay
I see a lotta Zs with turbos... yea, you don't want none of that
For sho! 400+whp on average. That's what my Z will be doing when I TT it. But it's destined to be a drifter. The tC is for straightlining.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Z's were cool before the previews for the third Fast and F***** Retarded started comin out Now all the trendwh0res and trust fund kids are gonna buy'em and wreck them :p

Not a slight to anyone who already has one, but your market is about to go as close to honda as it can get. Although I believe it would take a real unique kind of stupid to make a 350z look bad.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Originally Posted by peteyd

I concur. You would need a S/C with an upgraded pulley to take out the Z. You would need a turbo to take out the STI.
a stock Z on average pushes 225-230whp. avg 1/4 time for an average driver is 14.0xx-14.2xx so a stage 0 kit could take it easily if the Z was bone stock. now its been recorded that adding I/H/E to a Z will net 30whp. so a slightly modded Z will be difficult. a STI is I THINK 250whp due tto that huge awd lost. on average stock sti's run about 13.1-13.4. so there fore you need a stage 1 with upgrades.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm slowly building a 'sleeper' tC. What you want is an undercover brother tC. Or a Nightrider Kit car, lol.

Sleeper just means the car looks mostly stock from the outside. Having crazy stuff under the hood is part of the appeal.

The suggestions made in here have been good, especially the heat sheild one. I keep thinking about the engine cover on the Celica, though. I wish they made one for our cars--and it would cover up your turbo pretty nicely.

It's funny to have all this talk about Z's. I'm fixing up a Datsun Z with my girlfriend's dad right now.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

Those Camaro kits are located ther for a reason. Because you can't FIT a conventional turbo set up in an LS1 camaro.

There is no room.

There isn't any way to have your engine bay look 100% stock with any kind of forced induction. Cops around here aren't tards and many cops know what to look for.

It is a challenge to sneak spray by cops today.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't looked too closely at sticking a turbo on the down pipe. Even though I never planned on doing such a thing, it's still, nevertheless, a bummer.

In anycase, I guess now there's no way to a hide a friggin turbo.

The next best thing is putting an NA to sleep. Get ready to replace all your internals while leaving all the bolt-ons stock.

Quick Reply: Sleeper Turbo