Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

smoke coming out of my hood

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and yes i agree if driven for a long period of time cylinder walls can become damaged but if you plan on replacing the shortblock anyways what the hell
Old 10-30-2008, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what should the average compression be starting from the first chamber. I know that they have to be at a certain percentage close to each other.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Should be 170-180 from what ive gathered - on mine cyl 1-3 are at 170-173, cyl 4 is at 140
Old 10-30-2008, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by youngflyer
remember to pull the efi fuse out first, that keeps the car from starting!

You don't have to pull the EFI fuse. Removing the coil pack to insert the compression tester will prevent the car from starting.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
Should be 170-180 from what ive gathered - on mine cyl 1-3 are at 170-173, cyl 4 is at 140

What year is your tC? 05-06 will have different numbers than 07-08.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

really, thanks for the correction bro, thats always what ive been told and how ive done it in the past!
Old 10-30-2008, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by youngflyer
really, thanks for the correction bro, thats always what ive been told and how ive done it in the past!

I believe the instructions on the back of the Compression tester do not require any fuse pulling either.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mines an 07 Might wanna pull efi fuse so that fuel isnt injected?
Old 10-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Banned
SL Member

pull injector clips and coil pack clips.. easy!
Old 10-30-2008, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

No spark no fuel. Compression tester you have to remove the coil pack and spark plug to do the test. It's not going to start, nor do you have to worry about fuel being injected. But hey, I'm just going by the instructions that were on the back of my compression tester when I bought one a while back.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it is piston rings dont worry - lifes not over - lol - i have low compression in one cylinder - about 20-30 psi below normal - and i have a decent bit of blowby and have been driving it for several months, just makes for some other issues - but ive found some temp fixes that seem to work - 1) Route pcv and crank vent with the LARGEST hose possible to a catch can - than route with 1" hosing to a slashcut on your preturbo intake pipe - this will evac crankcase as best as possible - than my trade secret lol - apparently rx7's have blowby issues even with the motor in great condition soo they add vents to the oil pan to vent the pressure right at the source - with a little clever baffling to keep as much oil as possible out of the vent hoses you can add two 3/4" vent holes to the top of the oil pan and vent up to engine bay than through a baffled catch can - be sure to have the vent hoses a constant upward angle (no traps) and have the catch can as high as possible in the engine bay - this qwill keep most the oil in the oil pan where it belongs This ventilation system will nearly eliminate all blowby unless you have serious damage such as a cracked piston, etc. But in this situation you should be seeing compression below 100psi in the cylinder and should not be driven with damage this serious - but if its just badly worn rings and the issue that caused the worn rings has been fixed (probably detonation - in my case due to some injector problems) it should work as a pretty darn good temp fix until you can build the motor - in my case when funds arrive lol
you got any pics of this bro. i just woke up and got so confused reading lol. ill re read it when i wake up more. so i went to work and then auto zone no smoke all day wtf! and they didnt have a tester!
Old 10-31-2008, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

No spark no fuel. Compression tester you have to remove the coil pack and spark plug to do the test. It's not going to start, nor do you have to worry about fuel being injected. But hey, I'm just going by the instructions that were on the back of my compression tester when I bought one a while back.

Seriously? Are you dumb? Re-read the first 4 words you typed. If you pull the plugs, your still going to shoot fuel. The car will still think its trying to start and you will flood it. Maybe on other cars it works like that, but on this one it doesnt.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

Seriously? Are you dumb? Re-read the first 4 words you typed. If you pull the plugs, your still going to shoot fuel. The car will still think its trying to start and you will flood it. Maybe on other cars it works like that, but on this one it doesnt.

Are you dumb? I just told you this is what the directions say on the back of the compression tester.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

I just removed the injector harness, no prob.. so i dont have to worry removing the EFI fuse