Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

So close to getting a ZPI Turbo Kit, but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default So close to getting a ZPI Turbo Kit, but...

I know this has been dicussed several times, but I am so close to buying a ZPI turbo kit. About a month or so ago I tried to get a turbonetics kit from turbo kits. com, but the finance company was charging me like 20 % apr, so i quickly let go of my turbonetics dream. Recently I've been looking at the ZPI stage O turbo priced at 2500 which seems like a sweet deal. I have a 2006 TC with 12000 miles and I'm looking to boost mild, something like 6psi, does anyone know if the ZPI stage 0 w. psi level at 6psi safe to run withouth intercooler, tune and gauges? Please help, I have the cash and I'm close to buying this. Also, I will probably install this kit myself,but how much can I expect to pay for a professional install? Peace.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Basic kit
Safe without intercooler (just less power)
6lbs should put you in the 220-230whp range (Manual tranny)
Old 03-06-2007, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bro, take my advice as a person who just bought a turbo kit. In all honesty, at the least you should have about $1000 extra than what the turbo kit cost for other parts and stuff. Believe me, even with my "bolt on" kit, you will spend more money. You should definately get a boost gague and AFR gauge. Those two right there will run you about 500 right off the bat. Also, are you installing this yourself? or do you have a friend helping? If no, then plan on another 500 or so for install. I'm not saying this to discourage you, just be ready. With turbo's and performance parts, its never easy or inexpensive. The ZPI stage 0 is def a good kit. Rhythmnsmoke and his pals can def. attest for that.

Edit** alos, I see your in Los Angeles, I know a good installer if you get the kit. :D
Old 03-06-2007, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^Thanks jrodTC

Also to add to that, speaking from actual experience....GO AHEAD, and get you a stronger clutch. I don't know to many people who get a kit, and still drive it like grandma. Stage 0 has enough power to prematurely wear out your clutch.....I am speaking from actual witness accounted experience.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Jrod, I know it's going to cost more than basic kit, that's why I was discouraged with the turbonetics price cause' at the end of the day I would've spent more than 6 G's. plus the intrest they were giving me for a loan I would've paid more like 8 G's or more. Hey dawg, that tuner shop you speak off, can you hook me up with install rates? Does the install include the tune? thanks bro.

rhythmnsmoke : thanks for all the info you provide on this web site, but damn, I'm jealous you live close to ZPI headquarters, It makes life easier huh?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Makes life easier to be friends with Kenny, as well...

Move to TN, become a Scikotics member with us, and life would be just as simple...
Old 03-06-2007, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by N-Dawg
Thanks Jrod, I know it's going to cost more than basic kit, that's why I was discouraged with the turbonetics price cause' at the end of the day I would've spent more than 6 G's. plus the intrest they were giving me for a loan I would've paid more like 8 G's or more. Hey dawg, that tuner shop you speak off, can you hook me up with install rates? Does the install include the tune? thanks bro.

rhythmnsmoke : thanks for all the info you provide on this web site, but damn, I'm jealous you live close to ZPI headquarters, It makes life easier huh?
hey bro, I'll get intouch with my installer and ask him how much he'll charge for installing the stage 0 on a tC. Also, he doesn't tune the cars, just installs teh turbo. There is a shop in Gardena/Long Beach area that tunes cars for 160 an hour. They have a real good reputation as well. Hit me up on AIM-Jmayn81
Old 03-06-2007, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks man, appreciate that. Check it, I'm probably going to install the ZPI stage 0 straight up. No Emanage or guages(maybe at a later time). I'm trying to keep cost to a minimal, plus I need more ***** on my car, not for track racing, but just to keep up with some of the higher end imports. I think a modest boost at 6psi should keep me fine.

How's your treadstone working out? let me know, check your PM, later bro.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:07 AM
SL Member

Boosting on a budget is definitely NOT a good idea. Things will come up, no matter how small, and costs will add up FAST!

Tuning is KEY to everything and all your concerns to reliability and gas efficiency, so dont cheap out on it. For tuning, i recommend emanage ultimate, no less. Emanage blue works, but i wouldnt trust it if i was concerned about longevity and safety of the motor.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX
Boosting on a budget is definitely NOT a good idea. Things will come up, no matter how small, and costs will add up FAST!

Tuning is KEY to everything and all your concerns to reliability and gas efficiency, so dont cheap out on it. For tuning, i recommend emanage ultimate, no less. Emanage blue works, but i wouldnt trust it if i was concerned about longevity and safety of the motor.
And from what source did you pull this from?
Old 03-07-2007, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Dude, you don't have to run the Ultimate. The Blue box runs just fine if you have someone tuning it that knows what he is doing. I.E...Kenny @ ZeroPoint tunes our car. Blue Box for management, over a year boosting, Daily Driven.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Even Paul from Dezod will tell you that Blue is fine. All respectable tuners.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:44 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Whocares05050

source? its from experience. and i wonder why i'm do research with Hondata if i just pulled ____ out of my ___....

yes emanage blue will run fine. but for finer tuning aspects as with ignition advance/retard and safety boost cuts, ultimate has those capabilities.

With blue, for best efficiency, you would not be running on the same tune forever. Does blue compensate fuel for different extreme weather conditions? No. Lets say you're running a tune during the summer in hot weather, would the same tune be great for winter? No. Winter, air is denser, therefore may introduce lean conditions in which more fuel is needed or you'll get engine knocks along the way. Knocking=bad. So you'll need to get tuned more than once to get most out of your setup. Its not needed, but if you're concerned about the health of your car, dont cheap out.

For best tunability, AEM EMS is awesome, but carries a hefty price tag....for good reason too.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well Ive heard some no so good things about greddy piggy backs as well. Even Paul at Dezod said that in the last month 4 ultimates have come to him completely dead. Quailty control issues if you ask me.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whats an Acura owner doing on here anyways?! Just messin around
Old 03-07-2007, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Whocares05050

source? its from experience. and i wonder why i'm do research with Hondata if i just pulled poop out of my butt....

yes emanage blue will run fine. but for finer tuning aspects as with ignition advance/retard and safety boost cuts, ultimate has those capabilities.

With blue, for best efficiency, you would not be running on the same tune forever. Does blue compensate fuel for different extreme weather conditions? No. Lets say you're running a tune during the summer in hot weather, would the same tune be great for winter? No. Winter, air is denser, therefore may introduce lean conditions in which more fuel is needed or you'll get engine knocks along the way. Knocking=bad. So you'll need to get tuned more than once to get most out of your setup. Its not needed, but if you're concerned about the health of your car, dont cheap out.

For best tunability, AEM EMS is awesome, but carries a hefty price tag....for good reason too.

That's why you take it to get it re-tuned...
Old 03-07-2007, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The eman ultimate can be tuned more. Think of the blue as a first generation eman and think of the ultimate as the second generation. You will get more power out of the ultimate if the tuner knows how to tune it. .. . . . . which they should if you are trusting them with your car.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I get Greddy's Emanage, do I need to buy any additional harnesses &/or sensors? Is the Greddy Emanage a simple PNP system or do I have to get it professinally installed. I know the tuning has to be done by a pro. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can buy the PNP harness from dezod
Old 03-07-2007, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
The eman ultimate can be tuned more. Think of the blue as a first generation eman and think of the ultimate as the second generation. You will get more power out of the ultimate if the tuner knows how to tune it. .. . . . . which they should if you are trusting them with your car.

Umm...I think we all kinda Know that already...

But that doesn't mean the Blue box sucks like some will lead you to believe..

Quick Reply: So close to getting a ZPI Turbo Kit, but...