Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

So close to getting a ZPI Turbo Kit, but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Originally Posted by jwaggz82
The eman ultimate can be tuned more. Think of the blue as a first generation eman and think of the ultimate as the second generation. You will get more power out of the ultimate if the tuner knows how to tune it. .. . . . . which they should if you are trusting them with your car.
Umm...I think we all kinda Know that already...
But that doesn't mean the Blue box sucks like some will lead you to believe..
From what i have heard for the past few years ...the blue box is fine. But ...for a few hundred more and a good tuner ...why not get more hp? I just wanted to clarify because new people need facts so they can make the right choices.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^because not everyone has that extra "few hundred" bucks. Most of the Scion community are budget builders anyway.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I want my overall cost of my car to be less than higher end performance cars, but have more performance(350z,G35s, S200 etc).

^^because not everyone has that extra "few hundred" bucks. Most of the Scion community are budget builders anyway.
^^ You hit it right on with this one.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:12 PM
SL Member

That's why you take it to get it re-tuned... Doh!

two very contradictory statements here. getting retuned isnt cheap either. Budget building does not lead to good results in the end. Take it from one who tried to do a budget boost setup.

emanage ultimate has some temperature compensations built-in its software thats adjustable during tuning. Do you notice that i recommend ultimate merely for safety and reliability's sake? I havent even gotten to the part where you'll make more power thru better tuning parameters.

emanage ultimate coming dead on arrival? well, could be due to a number of things. ie. shipment bangs, etc. made by the same Greddy company anyways. Emanage blue was originally created to work great with pre-OBD cars. And now, you're trying to implement that old-school system. Granted it WORKS, but i would not depend on it running my car forever.

That extra several hundred in getting the best tunability can save you several THOUSANDS in the future. I've seen it WAY TOO MANY times when car owners cheap out on the tuning system and they come back with a blown motor and blame the tuner. (this applies to any car/make/model) All the tuner has to say is, "the system you provided me did not allow to set overboost protection on it", so your outta luck. Ask Peteyd. He himself claims he should've went ultimate with his ZPI setup.

As for accumulating costs, if you're worried about that, then stop modding your car and trade it in for a faster one. Modding on budget never goes hand-in-hand. The golden rule:
Reliability, Fast, Cheap
^pick 2 of those.

lol, now i just feel like repeating myself.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ its hard when your in your teens to stop because its the cool thing. I drove around in an old truck that wasn't bad at all ...but I didnt have a new car that had a turbo ....trust me...the women liked the truck but would have "loved" a turbo. I can feel for these guys but everybody has to think about what will happen if something goes wrong? A few hundred dollars is nothing when you are entering the FI world. When I was 17-22 there would have been no way in hell I could have been able to pay for FI ...so I didn't.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX
That's why you take it to get it re-tuned... Doh!

two very contradictory statements here. getting retuned isnt cheap either. Budget building does not lead to good results in the end. Take it from one who tried to do a budget boost setup.

My tunes are....

Secondly, E-manage seems to be user friendly, and with a few extra bucks and the support tool, you can tune it yourself....Don't get any cheaper than that. You don't have to have a dyno session just to tune your car you know.... Raise Eyebrow

emanage ultimate has some temperature compensations built-in its software thats adjustable during tuning. Do you notice that i recommend ultimate merely for safety and reliability's sake?

Are you implying the Blue box is NOT reliable? Been boosted for over a year now, and race just about EVERY weekend. 10 PSI, Stock block.....if that aint reliable I don't know what is.

I havent even gotten to the part where you'll make more power thru better tuning parameters.
Again, your telling everyone what we already know.....Ultimate is better. I would hope so, seeing as how it cost more...

emanage ultimate coming dead on arrival? well, could be due to a number of things. ie. shipment bangs, etc. made by the same Greddy company anyways. Emanage blue was originally created to work great with pre-OBD cars. And now, you're trying to implement that old-school system. Granted it WORKS, but i would not depend on it running my car forever.
I would be the type of person that left the Blue box on my car just to prove a point.... Look man, just because you had problems on your rsx with it, doesn't mean it's obsolete. tC = different car than your rsx. Not to mention that you fighting a loosing battle as 80% of all the boosted tC's on here are more than likely running the Blue Box. And running it just fine.

That extra several hundred in getting the best tunability can save you several THOUSANDS in the future. I've seen it WAY TOO MANY times when car owners cheap out on the tuning system and they come back with a blown motor and blame the tuner. (this applies to any car/make/model) All the tuner has to say is, "the system you provided me did not allow to set overboost protection on it", so your outta luck. Ask Peteyd. He himself claims he should've went ultimate with his ZPI setup.

PeteyD is an entirely different case all together......He Was AUTO tranny dude. That's why he should have went Ultimate. As 90-95% of the Auto boosted tC's on here go with the Ultimate, cause it works better for AUTO tranny tC's. Blue Box runs just fine and has been on the Manuals.

As for accumulating costs, if you're worried about that, then stop modding your car and trade it in for a faster one. Modding on budget never goes hand-in-hand. The golden rule:
Reliability, Fast, Cheap
^pick 2 of those.

lol, now i just feel like repeating myself.

LOL, I always love that statement..."trade it in for a faster one"....for what? So you can NOT mod it? Compare the price of an exhaust system for the tC....oh at most $400-$500 bucks...Now, go trade it in for a 350Z like mine....your exhasut now cost $1200 bucks....GET THE PICTURE.... I do well enough to mod both, but I can mod the tC a LOT faster because it's parts are cheaper. Hence the reason people go by Junkyard Beaters and poor the money into them to make 10 sec cars, cause they can do it for Dirt cheap.

PS...just give it a rest already. You are not going to convert the entire F/I section into purchasing the Ultimate. Cause I'll just turn around and make another vid of me walking on STI's and Evo's all with the Blue Box, to which would be enough power for most on here to be happy with. It's not the equipment bro, it's the tuner. If your stuff blows up, it's because of a faulty tune, not because the E-manage sucks.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ It’s kind of hard to disagree with a guy who’s living proof of a reliable fuel management, 10psi every day on stock internals…… Probably not lightly driven either…
Old 03-07-2007, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Secondly, E-manage seems to be user friendly, and with a few extra bucks and the support tool, you can tune it yourself....Don't get any cheaper than that. You don't have to have a dyno session just to tune your car you know.... Raise Eyebrow
Are you serious travis...I thought you were smarter than half these kids running around on this site but I guess I was mistaken....go tune your car yourself and lemme know how it turns out. I gotta be honest, Im willing to bet a good fortune that you wouldnt know where to begin when looking at a 2D fuel or timing map...it would look japanese to you. Thats the problem, everyone thinks cause they have a laptop and an emange they can tune a car...you may have a general understanding of rich and lean conditions, but how would you know how to add and subtract fuel/timing throughout the RPM range without ever having done it before. The end result would probly be a few fried piston rings and a rebuildable block
Old 03-07-2007, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don’t doubt the fact that Ultimate is better all around and will create a much better tune, but trashing Blue all together is a little harsh.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion

Are you serious travis...I thought you were smarter than half these kids running around on this site but I guess I was mistaken....go tune your car yourself and lemme know how it turns out. I gotta be honest, Im willing to bet a good fortune that you wouldnt know where to begin when looking at a 2D fuel or timing map...it would look japanese to you. Thats the problem, everyone thinks cause they have a laptop and an emange they can tune a car...you may have a general understanding of rich and lean conditions, but how would you know how to add and subtract fuel/timing throughout the RPM range without ever having done it before. The end result would probly be a few fried piston rings and a rebuildable block

You forget who my teacher is don't you..... I never said you can and should do it by yourself. You of course should have someone who knows what they are doing, to show you the ropes. I thought you KNEW me better than that Simply, but I guess you don't.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

[quote="rhythmnsmoke"]

You forget who my teacher is don't you..... I never said you can and should do it by yourself. You of course should have someone who knows what they are doing, to show you the ropes. I thought you KNEW me better than that Simply, but I guess you don't.
You just said that it can be done by yourself not more than an hour ago...Im still willing to bet you dont know your a$$ from your elbow when it comes to tuning...I dont care who teaches you
Old 03-07-2007, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

[quote="Simplyscion"]

You just said that it can be done by yourself not more than an hour ago...Im still willing to bet you dont know your a$$ from your elbow when it comes to tuning...I dont care who teaches you

After you learned how too, dang didn't think I had to spell it out for you.... Let me guess, every tunner was BORN knowing how to tune right? You would know my a$$ after I sat on your face now wouldn't you....
Old 03-07-2007, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

so all bs aside...do you honestly think you can tune a car...worry free, solid tune to last many miles to come? Have you ever done it before or is your knowledge of tuning stemmed from looking over kennys shoulder once or twice?
Old 03-07-2007, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

in regards to the emange tune, I live in Socal & the weather here is almost always the same. It's never a drastic change in temperature per say, Do you think I'm going to need to constantly tune?. I'm not looking to go the cheap way, but if I good turbo kit(ZPI, Treadstone) cost way less than another good turbo kits(turbonetics) I don't see why I can't go the cheap way. $2,500 (ZPI Stage 0) + Emanage $300 or Turbonetics for $5,000. that's the comparison I'm making in regards to the cheap route
Old 03-07-2007, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by N-Dawg
in regards to the emange tune, I live in Socal & the weather here is almost always the same. It's never a drastic change in temperature per say, Do you think I'm going to need to constantly tune?. I'm not looking to go the cheap way, but if I good turbo kit(ZPI, Treadstone) cost way less than another good turbo kits(turbonetics) I don't see why I can't go the cheap way. $2,500 (ZPI Stage 0) + Emanage $300 or Turbonetics for $5,000. that's the comparison I'm making in regards to the cheap route
No - you arent going to have to get retuned for a while because you arent moving to a different location (meaning a spot w/ a different climate/water level/etc etc). Also it depends how good of a tune you get to start. If you have an airfuel gauge (which i hope you would) you will be able to tell atleast how your tune is reacting under different conditions. If your leaning out too much or dumping too much fuel ...then you will know it has to get returned.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I know that Turbo kits run at like 14.7:1 AFR when on partial throttle, regardless of Emanage (excluding Dezod's Black Box). Does running this lean at partial throttle risk my engine to fail? I know the ZPI & treadstone kits run at mid 11's AFR when at WOT (without emanage) so why do I need to get emanage if I'm going to stay at the pre set PSI which I believe is 6psi? No reason really to buy the emanage is you're sticking to mild boost kit. Once I want more boost then I think I'll need to purchase Emange & Tune.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Well I know that Turbo kits run at like 14.7:1 AFR when on partial throttle, regardless of Emanage (excluding Dezod's Black Box). Does running this lean at partial throttle risk my engine to fail? I know the ZPI & treadstone kits run at mid 11's AFR when at WOT (without emanage) so why do I need to get emanage if I'm going to stay at the pre set PSI which I believe is 6psi? No reason really to buy the emanage is you're sticking to mild boost kit. Once I want more boost then I think I'll need to purchase Emange & Tune.

Simply put: Because there are better ways to tune a car then the stock ecu.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

what about your timing levels, what about your EGT's...theres more to it than just your A/F ratio at WOT...its reccomended to run management on any kit out there
Old 03-07-2007, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, It maybe better and net more HP if I tune w/emange, but I can live without it for a few months, right? I know budget boosting is a no-no and It shouldn't be done, but I'm not trying to create a drag monster, I just want my car to have more *****. I'm not a crazy driver so I'll rarely hit boost. If i don't hit boost will my A/F readings still be around 14's at partial throttle? Why does it run so lean on partial throttle?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

so all bs aside...do you honestly think you can tune a car...worry free, solid tune to last many miles to come? Have you ever done it before or is your knowledge of tuning stemmed from looking over kennys shoulder once or twice?

What are you trying to prove? I didn't say I can tune, so what are you getting at? I didn't make claims to be able to tune with my eyes close or something. And how are to learn without looking over Someone is a tunner? Is there something you trying to get at Vito, cause I have never made claims to do something I can't.

I guess you must be one of those dudes that was born knowing how to tune right? Man, I WISH I could be as good as you man.

Hear that everyone, you can't tune an E-manage, unless you were born knowing how too, like Vito was....

Quick Reply: So close to getting a ZPI Turbo Kit, but...