Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

So it finally happened

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 07:16 PM
CXT
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Let me see if I can find it. Anybody else remember reading that?
Old 06-28-2006, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yeah there was a guy who had the pulley, had the problem fixed left the stock pulley on and it happened again
Old 06-28-2006, 07:53 PM
CXT
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Let me see if I can find it. Anybody else remember reading that?
Old 06-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by OutCrnrU
yeah there was a guy who had the pulley, had the problem fixed left the stock pulley on and it happened again
WHO? Everyone keeps saying "there was this guy" well where are the posts at. Please point me in the direction. The last time I checked the poll on who has a leak with/without pulley there weren't any votes for the stock pulley.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:57 PM
CXT
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

This must have bee where I read it. Seems like the SC problems are pointing toward install error?
Originally Posted by yellot00tr
i don't have a pulley on my car, and i'm getting a leak on my sc. i'm on my second sc. on the last one, had the pulley-this one, don't have it. same mechanic and dealership installed both of the sc's, so it might be that they screwed up something in the install like outcrnru stated. either way, it's annoying the crap outta me. on top of that, neither time did the guy install the tamper proof cap on my sc. i contacted trd about it, and they basically said that it was too bad, but they couldn't and wouldn't do anything.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

On top of ceramic coating one should use heat wrap That's what I shall be doing
Old 06-29-2006, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That sucks dude. Good luck gettin it fixed.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry 2 hear that
Old 07-01-2006, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Hmm call my Supercharger blessed but I noticed that a few guys have had leaks and what not with their SC and it cause of pulley's, headers, etc. Now with almost 15,000 miles and a 9lbs pulley for about 12,000 of that and no leaks. Now I understand there were 3 allen screws that had to be tightened before install on the shaft. Is this why most people are having leaks, cause they may have not tightened it??
Old 07-01-2006, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How would one check for something like that when picking the car up from the dealership after the install? Would you even be able to notice something amiss?
Old 07-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by mattvs
How would one check for something like that when picking the car up from the dealership after the install? Would you even be able to notice something amiss?
That's the bad thing because you can't tell anything is off just by looking at it. The only way to tell is to check them with a torque wrench.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nu_ERA
Hmm call my Supercharger blessed but I noticed that a few guys have had leaks and what not with their SC and it cause of pulley's, headers, etc. Now with almost 15,000 miles and a 9lbs pulley for about 12,000 of that and no leaks. Now I understand there were 3 allen screws that had to be tightened before install on the shaft. Is this why most people are having leaks, cause they may have not tightened it??
And that's what it comes down to. Yellotootr and simply scion and another s/c car I believe had their s/c's installed at Vito's dealer by the same guy. Between these 3 guys there have been 4 s/c's installed, and one without a pulley - yellotootr's second s/c, and they've all had leaks. They've all been installed by the same exact tech as well.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member

i would really like to know the part number for the seal aswell i would rather know that then why it happened i would just like to be able to fix it. and from what you said green box fixing yours made it quieter then that is even better are you still getting the sam e amount of boost?

Please post the part number of the seal and where you got it. There are people on this board waiting for this

The reason i would like to know is i would like to get a pulley but i said no way am i gonna do that is i cant fix it when it starts leaking. i am more then happy to take the supercharger off and change the seals on a regular basis i just dont want to throw 3 grand in the trash. you know?
Old 07-07-2006, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am pretty certain that if you take the supercharger apart you will find that the seal is some sort of a standard part. Pretty much everyone uses standard seals that they buy from a seal manufacturer. There usually has to be damned good reason for someone to spec a non-standard seal that has to be custom made, because it's cheaper to go with a standard one. Most seals have the part number marked right on them. And even if it doesn't have a part number, if you give a seal company / distributor the specs (seal bore ID, seal bore depth, shaft OD, temp, fluid sealed, lip configuration, surface speed of the shaft) they would probably be able to come up with something that will work. They may even be able to come up with a seal made of a different material that can take higher temperature so you won't have further problems stemming from headers with no heat shield. Thats what I do would do anyway.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member

you are right about all of that but my S/C is not leaking yet cause i have no header and no pulley. And i wont buy one until i know the part number that they are using. or whoever they are going through to get a seal. this should not be some big secret i know there are a couple of people on this bored that have taken there S/C apart and have some how got it back together with a new seal now.

all i need to know is the part number and where you got it from.

Then i will go crazy and slap a 12lb. pulley and wait for that sucker to start leaking and replace the seal. : )

now i would love to call a seal manufacter when i have the busted seal in my hand but i dont . : (
Old 07-07-2006, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My comments were not directed specificaly towards you, but to the people that already have problems.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Everytime we ask for the part number that green box guys dissapears... Asked for photos of his failure and he dissapears... upsetting.