Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

So What's a "SICK" install look like..*pics*..

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Love the location. Pure hotness.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
I'm guessing the gauge is only to be used to look cool and to tune. I'm with ya on this, IceNine, that there's a little bit of a huge compromise to driver functionality but evidently, it's not quite so important to rhythmnsmoke. Meh, I'd personally want to be able to see if my gauge ever runs red while driving but that's me, and a few others I guess.

Daily functionality = doesn't appear to have any.

But I think it looks pretty damn badass.
And if it still works for the tuner then it works.

So for the intended owners, the gauge position is perfect. Besides, it's smarter than putting all the gauges in the center console compartment. When your CD cases hide your gauges you know your "sleeper" has gone too far.
Tuners don't use gauge AFR, they use a logging sensor in-car that's attached to the exhaust. At least, any tuner worth a damn should be doing this. (And don't get me started on "street tuning", since it's all but non-existant - not that rhythm would be capable anyway).

This definitely belongs in ICE, since there's no need to tune off it, and the only real effect it gives off is basically a poser disco-ball effect. You can't monitor it during driving, so it's effectively entertainment only.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol, I wouldn't know cause I'm not a tuner. Show car status I guess.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IceNine
Tuners don't use gauge AFR, they use a logging sensor in-car that's attached to the exhaust. At least, any tuner worth a damn should be doing this. (And don't get me started on "street tuning", since it's all but non-existant - not that rhythm would be capable anyway).

This definitely belongs in ICE, since there's no need to tune off it, and the only real effect it gives off is basically a poser disco-ball effect. You can't monitor it during driving, so it's effectively entertainment only.

So let me get this right....a "real tuner" has to use a dyno and exhaust sniffer...A "real tuner" would not use a sensor located closer to the turbo? a "real tuner" would not street tune?

What if a car has two cats and is all wheel drive and all you have is a two wheel dyno? Does a "real tuner" not have the ability to tune it?

Street tuning is real..We do it and so does almost every other tuner we know. Can you watch all the gauges, laptop and drive..NO this is why you take someone with you. If a tuner has a non load bearing dyno they better check the tune on the street or they will have a lot of unhappy customers.

The point of any gauge or monitor in a STREET car is to have an idea of what is going on..out of the corner of your eye you see 13.1 while at WOT you let out something is wrong...You may not see this as you are driving but is the 300 worth the chance?

All of your top of the line gauges all include play back, peak and hold etc..Our customers should use these features to insure all is well with there tune and settings occasionally.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZPIracing
So let me get this right....a "real tuner" has to use a dyno and exhaust sniffer...A "real tuner" would not use a sensor located closer to the turbo? a "real tuner" would not street tune?

What if a car has two cats and is all wheel drive and all you have is a two wheel dyno? Does a "real tuner" not have the ability to tune it?
If a person has a 4WD/AWD car, they would find a shop that has a 4WD/AWD dyno - like a Dyno Dynamics dyno. Unless of course you don't want to "do the job right". Street tuning is one thing: Inaccurate. But you already know that won't matter because the simple fact is - rhythm won't be doing any street tuning anytime soon anyway.

tuning is real..We do it and so does almost every other tuner we know. Can you watch all the gauges, laptop and drive..NO this is why you take someone with you. If a tuner has a non load bearing dyno they better check the tune on the street or they will have a lot of unhappy customers.
Again. You aren't doing it RIGHT. Street tuning is real, alright. Real stupid.

The point of any gauge or monitor in a STREET car is to have an idea of what is going on..out of the corner of your eye you see 13.1 while at WOT you let out something is wrong...You may not see this as you are driving but is the 300 worth the chance?

All of your top of the line gauges all include play back, peak and hold etc..Our customers should use these features to insure all is well with there tune and settings occasionally.
Well, then - you should have just mounted his AFR gauge in one of his rear cupholders, since it would net about the same functionality.

If it's your advice that led to where his new AFR gauge location is, then I can honestly say I wouldn't look to you for advice on my next tic-tac-toe move, much less my car's performance or functionality.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZPIracing

If a person has a 4WD/AWD car, they would find a shop that has a 4WD/AWD dyno - like a Dyno Dynamics dyno. Unless of course you don't want to "do the job right". Street tuning is one thing: Inaccurate. But you already know that won't matter because the simple fact is - rhythm won't be doing any street tuning anytime soon anyway.

tuning is real..We do it and so does almost every other tuner we know. Can you watch all the gauges, laptop and drive..NO this is why you take someone with you. If a tuner has a non load bearing dyno they better check the tune on the street or they will have a lot of unhappy customers.
Again. You aren't doing it RIGHT. Street tuning is real, alright. Real stupid.

Well, then - you should have just mounted his AFR gauge in one of his rear cupholders, since it would net about the same functionality.

If it's your advice that led to where his new AFR gauge location is, then I can honestly say I wouldn't look to you for advice on my next tic-tac-toe move, much less my car's performance or functionality.
I'm so sick and tired of this guy that it's not even funny anymore...
Old 12-18-2006, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nothing but a A$$
Old 12-18-2006, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Sorry if the truth hurts. I can't make it any less painful for you.

If you want the best location for your AFR gauge, common sense dictates the center of your heater control is NOT where it belongs. You want to stick a voltmeter gauge in there, go for it. But something as important as AFR should be in your peripheral vision at the very least.

If you want to think i'm an a$$ for something that is simple common sense to tuners, so be it.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your still an A$$ I don't care how you candy coat it man.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Both of you just need to settle it on a track!!!
Old 12-18-2006, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

There is nothing to settle... We all know that Rhythm and I live long enough distance apart where a "rivalry race" won't happen. It isn't worth my time or his.

And I just can't respect people who lie or consistently spew out incorrect statements in an attempt to show that they "know what they're talking about".

Seriously, would you want someone who wants to get into tuning to ACTUALLY BELIEVE that the center of his temperature controls is the best place for his AFR gauge, and that it's the BEST location for monitoring and "street tuning"?

Common sense says no. For non-tuners, that's fine. It's for looks, which means common sense says "SLAP THIS THREAD IN I.C.E." like others have already mentioned.

And anyone who thinks Street Tuning is a good alternative to dyno tuning needs to have their head examined - and in the case of rhythm he's already stated he doesn't know how to tune. So now that gauge sits in the middle of his temp controls for no other reason than to be an expensive disco ball.

It's not the best way to do it, it's not the right way to do it, and if you don't like my opinion on it and thinks it makes me an a$$, then kindly ignore my posts. You'll be doing YOURSELF a favor.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What the hell would going to the track solve?

An A/F gauge or it's location won't make your car faster than any other car. And when one of them wins, then gets smoked by some 9 second civic hatch that likes wool mittens, does that mean mittens are better than an A/F gauge?

Of course it does.

anyway..as a more serious input to this thread than my previous comment, I agree with Ice about placement. It's good show quality, but would very difficult to keep an eye on while driving, let alone on a road course.

Reminds me of the gauge placement in the evo when I bought it. The factory boost,oil temp, and volt meters were beneath the shift **** in terms of height on the center console (not to mention the boost gauge was on the far right of the panel). Made it a pain in the ___ to read them right.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not going to fight with 37 yr. old thats having his mid-life crisis......It's whatever your $hit is better than anyone else.

Happy Holidays....
Old 12-18-2006, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks for the constructive comments. They're highly valued.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Now you just need to let me change the rest of those interior LEDs to Red and you will be all set man!!
Old 12-18-2006, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've seen alot of wrx's my way get a PRO street tune because alot of people i know don't trust some dynos or don't care what the number is just how the car is running and i thought we compared the AEM wideband to the dyno SNIFFER and they were right on at the ZPI shoot out.???
Old 12-19-2006, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Can someone get this guy out of the thread (IceNine). You FOREVER feel the need to bash our car and ZPI. Why can't you give it up and grow up! Obviously, the mods don't see this thread as being ice since it hasn't been moved. As for you on the other hand, you need to move on and find something better to do than constantly talk $hit about a car you've NEVER seen in person and have no idea what it's capable of. Leave the thread if you can't handle the fact that it's not in the right forum to make you happy and because you feel bad @$$ since you can talk so much $hit through a computer screen!
Old 12-19-2006, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im workin on it misty.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
Wow....

So let me get this straight.... You now need to look to the center of your dash to monitor A/F - which means you'll have to not look at the road or even have it in your peripheral vision.

Dumbest. Move. Ever.
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
I don't have to constantly check it all the time. I've only really paid attention to idle A/F's, and that's while sitting at a stop.
There's the answer. I'm guessing the gauge is only to be used to look cool and to tune. I'm with ya on this, IceNine, that there's a little bit of a huge compromise to driver functionality but evidently, it's not quite so important to rhythmnsmoke. Meh, I'd personally want to be able to see if my gauge ever runs red while driving but that's me, and a few others I guess.

Daily functionality = doesn't appear to have any.

But I think it looks pretty damn badass.
And if it still works for the tuner then it works.

So for the intended owners, the gauge position is perfect. Besides, it's smarter than putting all the gauges in the center console compartment. When your CD cases hide your gauges you know your "sleeper" has gone too far.

You SORTA got the jist of it. What I didn't say in so many words is that my tuner (Kenny Strickler) is so good, that I don't have to sit there and stare at my gauges all the time while driving. Not that it's not important to me, I'm just WORRY free. I trust them, I've raced the car for an entire Year with no Wideband, and only Kenny's brain/knowledge in tuning the Emanage on the tC. Never had an engine problem. Do you understand now. The tune has been oh say 95% sweet. The Wideband is there to push the tune to that 100% sweet spot.

As for my Boost and EGT gauge, they are Defi units. The ones I have, MUST be used in conjuction with the Link box. The link box has multiple functionality, one being a warning level. Set it to the desired level, and IF it were to reach that point, the whole gauge face becomes bright Red....Hard to miss that when punching it.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ISmokeGuys
Can someone get this guy out of the thread (IceNine). You FOREVER feel the need to bash our car and ZPI. Why can't you give it up and grow up! Obviously, the mods don't see this thread as being ice since it hasn't been moved. As for you on the other hand, you need to move on and find something better to do than constantly talk $hit about a car you've NEVER seen in person and have no idea what it's capable of. Leave the thread if you can't handle the fact that it's not in the right forum to make you happy and because you feel bad @$$ since you can talk so much $hit through a computer screen!
First of all, i'm not the one getting all emotional here You are.

I bash wrong info in all forms. If you think putting something as important as AFR in the middle of your heater controls is a great thing, well, then - that's fine. You go right on thinking that way. I'm not telling you how to think, don't tell me how to.

I go to all my local meets. People in my area know me, and they know I'm not some random internet BS artist. If I don't know something, I defer to someone who does. I won't claim to know everything.

I have the right to my opinions, like them or not. There's statements on SL that make sense, there's statements that don't, and then there's outright lies by shady dealers and their cheerleaders. I've always said that car enthusiasts are a jaded lot, and I'm one of the most jaded out there. I'm sorry you don't agree with my opinions or statements, and you have that right. But don't attempt to rob me of MY right to MY opinions and statements.

I'm not going to stop expressing my opinions because some ZPI cheerleaders decide to throw out insults instead of simple common-sense facts.

Quick Reply: So What's a "SICK" install look like..*pics*..