Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

some noob questions (not on specific turbo kit this time)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 07:29 AM

Default some noob questions (not on specific turbo kit this time)

yes, i've search and either i cant find any related info or i found some contradicting answer and want to verify a bit.

1) what is the worst scenario if you get caught going FI? tickets, to-be-fix, or what?

2) how much work and $$ to undo the whole process? i am asking because i've heard that the trd sc is not even undoable, and some are actually selling their used kit.

3) what is the cause of not passing the smog test? i've heard that it has something to do with removing the cat. but what if i am using the stock exhaust and stay out of boost on the way to smog test? i dont understand this part the most.

4) approxiamtely how much would that be to pass the smog test undertable?

p.s i am living in so-cal >,<
Old 05-05-2007, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

The only one of those questions I can really answer is 3, if you don't pass an emission test you can't drive your car on public roads until you do. The reason you wouldn't pass is because the main cat is in the header which has to be removed when you install the turbo. Even with the stock exhaust you would still have removed your primary catylitic converter. Staying out of boost will keep you from getting a CEL, yet your car may still fail their tests.
You mentioned the TRD supercharger though which doesn't require the removal of and emissions equipment and shouldn't give you any problems at inspections anyway.

Also for number 4, theres no set under the table price, and could get you in huge trouble if you were trying it, so I would forget that option.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) fix it ticket, these have been known to be fines of around $1000 if you choose not to fix it

2) well.. it all depends. you will need a stock oil pan, stock fuel injector harness, maybe fuel rail, new bumper, etc... if you want to go COMPLETELY back to stock... if you want to "fix-it" you can just plug up the tap in the oil pan, cut the connectors off of the stock injectors and just do some soldering, etc..

3) haha no, the reason you WILL FAIL a smog test is the visual inspection. even if you have a cat and your car is magically putting out water as the exhaust, the smogger will fail you because you have illegal engine modifications

4) slip em a bill undertable if you dont know them... you're likely to find a connection somewhere though somewhere and they might even do it for free