Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Someone on the boards decided to go...............BIG!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Do you forsee the car needing a Nitrous kit in order to spool the nicely large turbine on that?

Also, question about the design approach to the Manifold. I was looking at the runner that's going to Cyl 1 (going from left to right). I was thinking why not make the runner on Cyl 1 go to Cyl 2 instead, and the Cyl 2 runner go to Cyl 1?
Old 04-14-2008, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TurboToyotas
I can't wait to see the manifold this turbo is gonna bolt to!
Nothing too crazy...decided to stay bottom mount:

And Yes thats a 4" DP

More to come

Enjoy!

Regards-

Todd
thats not what i really expected the manifold to look like for a set up like this.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats not what i really expected the manifold to look like for a set up like this.
To each is own......

Whats it supposed to look like?

Manifolds are not designed based on looks but function

Regards-

Todd
Old 04-14-2008, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

the product is too raw, i'll make my opinion when its done.. i didnt like the version 2.1 at first but when they came out, its a different story.. and looks should not come first before function
Old 04-14-2008, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Looks very nice, positioning that monster must have been hell. Welds look excellent as well as the outside of the collector. Hope you have a brace or some extended exhaust studs *LOL* That baby looks heavy
Old 04-14-2008, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Do you forsee the car needing a Nitrous kit in order to spool the nicely large turbine on that?

Also, question about the design approach to the Manifold. I was looking at the runner that's going to Cyl 1 (going from left to right). I was thinking why not make the runner on Cyl 1 go to Cyl 2 instead, and the Cyl 2 runner go to Cyl 1?
because its a twinscroll setup. the flow of cylinders 1 and 4 are separated from 2 and 3.

this should help explain...

"The concept is to DIVIDE or separate the cylinders whose cycles interfere with one another to best utilize the engine's exhaust pulse energy.

For example, on a four-cylinder engine with firing order 1-3-4-2, cylinder #1 is ending its expansion stroke and opening its exhaust valve while cylinder #2 still has its exhaust valve open (cylinder #2 is in its overlap period). In an undivided exhaust manifold, this pressure pulse from cylinder #1's exhaust blowdown event is much more likely to contaminate cylinder #2 with high pressure exhaust gas. Not only does this hurt cylinder #2's ability to breathe properly, but this pulse energy would have been better utilized in the turbine.

The proper grouping for this engine is to keep complementary cylinders grouped together-- #1 and #4 are complementary; as are cylinders #2 and #3. "
Old 04-14-2008, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Beat me to it, But a much better description than I was going with haha.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Manifolds are not designed based on looks but function

So, the manifolds Flow tested?
Old 04-14-2008, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by brett561tc
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

because its a twinscroll setup. the flow of cylinders 1 and 4 are separated from 2 and 3.

this should help explain...

"The concept is to DIVIDE or separate the cylinders whose cycles interfere with one another to best utilize the engine's exhaust pulse energy.

For example, on a four-cylinder engine with firing order 1-3-4-2, cylinder #1 is ending its expansion stroke and opening its exhaust valve while cylinder #2 still has its exhaust valve open (cylinder #2 is in its overlap period). In an undivided exhaust manifold, this pressure pulse from cylinder #1's exhaust blowdown event is much more likely to contaminate cylinder #2 with high pressure exhaust gas. Not only does this hurt cylinder #2's ability to breathe properly, but this pulse energy would have been better utilized in the turbine.

The proper grouping for this engine is to keep complementary cylinders grouped together-- #1 and #4 are complementary; as are cylinders #2 and #3. "

So, are you saying the extra length on the pipe to Cyl 1 is suppose to help with grouping it together with #4? Then what's the point of having equal length? And with our motor, does it actually follow that firing pattern (1-3-4-2)?
Old 04-14-2008, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DAMN THAT SUCKER IS HUGE!

rhythm...Todd's new mani's look off cause of that first straight runner...makes it look like it's not EL from the most commong (top down) view...but looking at it from the side, you can see that the other 3 runners are actually longer then they look, so they are actually EL.

What kinda coating is going on that mani? I still prefer black...
Old 04-14-2008, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok...im a lil late seeing this thread but...WOW that is beautiful! THE TURBO LOOKS ALMOST AS BIG AS THE ENGINE! Cant wait to see whose getting this monster and what it can do...PROPs Todd for never sleeping!
Old 04-14-2008, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
DAMN THAT SUCKER IS HUGE!

rhythm...Todd's new mani's look off cause of that first straight runner...makes it look like it's not EL from the most commong (top down) view...but looking at it from the side, you can see that the other 3 runners are actually longer then they look, so they are actually EL.

What kinda coating is going on that mani? I still prefer black...

Were are side view pics located? Did you see this in person?

Also still curious to know if Todd flow tested it, as well as what means is the owner going to use to spool up the 42R.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have not seen this particular one in person, but the way the runners are going are similar to his version 2.1 mani, like the twin scroll dual WG setup he has. There are some side views of that somewhere.

And I do beleive Todd mentioned that his manis were flow tested, but I can't answer that with any certianty...sorry.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

prolly this one is not yet tested but yeah its almost similar to the 2.1, i have side views on my thread
Old 04-14-2008, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm pretty sure the owner is just going to use his crazy built motor to spool that monster! he doesnt like nitrous
Old 04-14-2008, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

What is being used for cooling Todd? OEM fans are probably outta the question and odds are you fabbed a working fan set-up. FYI I'm curious since I have that current problem (overheating)
Old 04-15-2008, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also still curious to know if Todd flow tested it, as well as what means is the owner going to use to spool up the 42R
There is no need for me to flow test it....

I was part of a "study" a few years ago when we did a test on manifold design.

All I will tell you at this time is that this manifold with these size runners will flow allot more air than a GT4294R can throw at it.........allot more. Granted there is a sweet spot, but this setup wont make it there for a bit.

Why do you think its going to be so hard to spool?

Don't always judge a book by its cover......just cause its big doesn't mean when paired with a few key components it wont get up and going.

Plus its pretty obvious its not really a "street" car set-up.

Yes the car will be driven on the street, hence why I had to make it work with the factory radiator, and AC. But it wont shine there.

Regards-

Todd
Old 04-15-2008, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

todd that is beautiful end of story cant wait to see mine will it look like kdogs? basik manifold or a little different for the xb2? you make the sweetest manifolds
Old 04-15-2008, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Also still curious to know if Todd flow tested it, as well as what means is the owner going to use to spool up the 42R
There is no need for me to flow test it....

I was part of a "study" a few years ago when we did a test on manifold design.

All I will tell you at this time is that this manifold with these size runners will flow allot more air than a GT4294R can throw at it.........allot more. Granted there is a sweet spot, but this setup wont make it there for a bit.

I'm not big on the "just take my word for it" type answer. Are any of the rest of your manifolds flow tested?

Why do you think its going to be so hard to spool?
Why do you think I was saying it was going to be hard to spool? Obviously it's going to lag more than a standard setup. I was wondering if there were going to means to make it spool faster, hence the question. No implication bro.

Don't always judge a book by its cover......just cause its big doesn't mean when paired with a few key components it wont get up and going.

Plus its pretty obvious its not really a "street" car set-up.

Yes the car will be driven on the street, hence why I had to make it work with the factory radiator, and AC. But it wont shine there.

Regards-

Todd

Again, hence the reason why I asked the question. Here, let me rephrase..."What's coupling with the turbo to make it shine"?
Old 04-15-2008, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you just dont quit do you travis.. lol. obviously this turbo isn't goin to spool as fast as say.. a 16g but sometime you have to make sacrifices to obtain a goal. if 300whp was the goal here, I'm sure the guy would have picked a more logical turbo.. if turbo spool was a concern, again... there's a better choice. but if I'm correct, this guy is doing an all out build.. very little will remain stock.

Todd's manifolds flow tested? lmao.. have you seen everyone roses manis? the runners on that _____ are 1.5"... do you think there's restriction there? Todd knows what he's doing, and alot of the cars out there with his kit are making more power than any other kit on the market. idk... maybe I'm wrong. Todd... maybe you should bolt that 4294R to a log manifold!

Quick Reply: Someone on the boards decided to go...............BIG!!!!