Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

soon to get turbo....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Default soon to get turbo....

i know ill be definitly getting a turbo real soon......what should i start off with though for the time being.???? exhaust? helllllp cause i want a fast car lol
Old 02-10-2008, 03:13 AM

how much power are you looking for?
Old 02-10-2008, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

exhaust is always a good start.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

turbo, mid and S pipe =) then TURBO!... and stickers
Old 02-10-2008, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The first thing you need to do is sit down and set a project goal. A good baseline for starting out, especially if this is the first time being boosted, would be mid 200's for horsepower. Get a feel for the system and how it works. Once everything is in place and you feel comfortable, you can then progressively add on and make what you have more powerful. Don't just dive in to something blind.

Easy and early preparation items you can get:
1.) Boost/Vac gauge: Won't help you until you actually get your forced induction system installed, but it will definately be worthwhile to have ready to go.
2.) Wideband AFR gauge: Definately a great tool for monitoring and tuning.
3a.) Oil Pressure gauge: Good to have to monitor for possible leaks or low level indicators (the dummy light for low oil is too late of an indication) or Excessive oil pressure may indicate a blocked filter or blocked oil gallery.
3b.) Oil Temperature gauge: I don't really have much information on Oil Temperature and why exactly it's important, but I do know that excessive oil temperature can decrease performance in the long run. Temperature thresholds are determined by the viscocity of the oil uesed.
3c.) EGT gauge: This will help you to see if you're running rich or lean. Using this in conjunction with an AFR gauge will help you tune your fuel management. There is an optimal temperature for the combustion. In general the cooler the exhaust gas is, the richer the fuel mixture, the hotter the exhaust gas is, the leaner the fuel mixture.
4.) New Spark Plugs: Generally you can get a set that are one step colder but some people go and get two steps colder, but they are usually pushing quite a bit more horsepower.

Just a list for starters. I'm pretty sure others will chime in and suggest more.

Regards,
Benjamin
Old 02-10-2008, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you know FOR A FACT that you will be turboing soon, your best first mod would be a good 2.5" exhasut system. It's going to be GREAT for when you turbo. Don't worry about an S pipe..if you get a dezod kit it comes with a 2.5" down pipe and 2.5" s pipe. :-)
Old 02-10-2008, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bkuhl
The first thing you need to do is sit down and set a project goal. A good baseline for starting out, especially if this is the first time being boosted, would be mid 200's for horsepower. Get a feel for the system and how it works. Once everything is in place and you feel comfortable, you can then progressively add on and make what you have more powerful. Don't just dive in to something blind.

Easy and early preparation items you can get:
1.) Boost/Vac gauge: Won't help you until you actually get your forced induction system installed, but it will definately be worthwhile to have ready to go.
2.) Wideband AFR gauge: Definately a great tool for monitoring and tuning.
3a.) Oil Pressure gauge: Good to have to monitor for possible leaks or low level indicators (the dummy light for low oil is too late of an indication) or Excessive oil pressure may indicate a blocked filter or blocked oil gallery.
3b.) Oil Temperature gauge: I don't really have much information on Oil Temperature and why exactly it's important, but I do know that excessive oil temperature can decrease performance in the long run. Temperature thresholds are determined by the viscocity of the oil uesed.
3c.) EGT gauge: This will help you to see if you're running rich or lean. Using this in conjunction with an AFR gauge will help you tune your fuel management. There is an optimal temperature for the combustion. In general the cooler the exhaust gas is, the richer the fuel mixture, the hotter the exhaust gas is, the leaner the fuel mixture.
4.) New Spark Plugs: Generally you can get a set that are one step colder but some people go and get two steps colder, but they are usually pushing quite a bit more horsepower.

Just a list for starters. I'm pretty sure others will chime in and suggest more.

Regards,
Benjamin
niceeeeeeee this is great help =D
Old 02-10-2008, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am going with a custom 3" exhaust with the HKS Carbon TI muffler, I have big plans for it, so gonna go big while I am at it.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

3" exhaust on a low boost application can actually be detrimental to hp/tq gain.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:23 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what's low boost?
Old 02-17-2008, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bkuhl
3" exhaust on a low boost application can actually be detrimental to hp/tq gain.
That's amazing to me that someone else knows/understands that bigger isn't always better. Although I always figured that ~8psi or so would be enough to make going to 3" worthwile? Depends on the valve overlap I guess.

Edit: I don't actually know for this car... I haven't looked into forced induction/resonance/timing/back pressure for it yet... just happen to be browsing by.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With the T3/T4, I will be running 12 lbs when I put it on. With the GT3076R, I will be running 12lbs also.