Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Spark Plugs

I've searched and have gotten a wide range of opinions on whether or not to get a colder plug. My question is some what more specific. I want to pick up either the stage 2 or stage 3 NGK Iridium plugs from dezod. All of them are the same price so should I just go with the coldest one I can get? Thanks, simple quetion for most but I want to do things right the 1st time around.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well it depends on alot of things. plug choice on a FI vehicle is not to be over -looked. too cold of a plug and your going to foul it out prematurly; too hot and your going to have a chance of detenation/pre-ignition.

if your going to run 10psi or so i would spring for 1 step colder and tighen the plug gap. you want the largest gap possible without misfiring. i would start at .035 and go from there.

i also i prefer a copper plug as it's the BEST conductor. it wont last as long as the other plugs, but at 1.39$ each i don't care. i ususally run the autolite 3923.

things to remember are proper torque of a plug. especially on an aluimium head. you want good heat transfer and you don't want to over-tighten as alumium strips very easliy.. use a good anti-seize as well to prevent electrolsis (sp*) since aliumium can react funny when incontact with other metals.

hope this helps
Old 02-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Default Re: Spark Plugs

Originally Posted by Robs_tc
I've searched and have gotten a wide range of opinions on whether or not to get a colder plug. My question is some what more specific. I want to pick up either the stage 2 or stage 3 NGK Iridium plugs from dezod. All of them are the same price so should I just go with the coldest one I can get? Thanks, simple quetion for most but I want to do things right the 1st time around.
Depends on your goals. If your seeking building the motor and running some decent boost levels, 3 would be good. If your looking to run it pertty hard and push moderate boost, but on a stock bottom end, 2 steps.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

like i said, really what it comes down to is reading the plug.. not hey " what should i get" you need to experiment with what works good on YOUR motor. you don't want to sacrfice driveability and i'm sure you want the most power at that specific psi.

that's why i stay away from iridiums. at 10$ a plug it's not worth it. not staying there not a good plug; but i think they are hyped up more than what they really are.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, the block will stay stock for a few months and run the stock t-netics 8psi.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

go 2 steps colder with some Denso IK24's.

Iridum plugs are the only ones that will work in the tC too.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just regap the stock plugs to .035. The stock plugs are some of the best money can buy.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the advise.