Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Speeding Ticket in KY.... fml

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member

Default Speeding Ticket in KY.... fml

So, I was in a hurry to get to the golf course on time, going maybe a little too fast on a back road, and I got pulled over. The cop said I was doing 70 in a 35, but I'm fairly certain I was not going that fast (more like 60). He said that he had the right to arrest me, but he gave paper and said that I had a mandatory court date. In KY, this happens if you go 26+ mph over the speed limit (hearing + possible suspension of license). About a month ago some other cop pulled me over for running a red light, and I just signed up for traffic school for that.... I was wondering if anyone, in KY or a state with similar driving laws, has done this, and if so, what happened with your license as a result, Or, any other suggestions (e.g. hiring a lawyer to reduce the infraction, etc.) would be appreciated.....
Old 07-23-2009, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Speeding Ticket in KY.... fml

Originally Posted by dcnall
So, I was in a hurry to get to the golf course on time, going maybe a little too fast on a back road, and I got pulled over. The cop said I was doing 70 in a 35, but I'm fairly certain I was not going that fast (more like 60). He said that he had the right to arrest me, but he gave paper and said that I had a mandatory court date. In KY, this happens if you go 26+ mph over the speed limit (hearing + possible suspension of license). About a month ago some other cop pulled me over for running a red light, and I just signed up for traffic school for that.... I was wondering if anyone, in KY or a state with similar driving laws, has done this, and if so, what happened with your license as a result, Or, any other suggestions (e.g. hiring a lawyer to reduce the infraction, etc.) would be appreciated.....
Get lawyer but make sure he knows the Judges at the courthouse you will appear in. Take advantage of the corruption.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

x2 ^^
Old 07-23-2009, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is why i love texas...any Speeding Infraction no matter how bad, you cant go to jail for it..haha our lawmakers are insane.. but yes i would recommend getting a lawyer, if it has been more then 90 days since you took a Defensive Driving Course then you are eligible to take it again and keep it off your record.
GL to ya man!
Old 07-23-2009, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

From personal experience, you are sited for criminal speeding at that high over (I got caught 73 in a 40) and driving school is NOT an option.

Do what I did, go to court, ask the guy who gives you the price of your ticket to be easy (he is not a/the judge) and pay it.

Mine was like $396 and two points on my license. Never sped again since then. Thats a third of some sick coils. Or half of some nice used ones.

Anyway, again theres no way to get off clean out of criminal speeding, thats only an option for a civil speeding ticket. Also a getting a lawyer would be a joke, and will cost you roughly twice as much as the ticket. Benefits are - no points on your license. Either way you got to pay to play.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Braking distance for a tC at 60 mph 127 feet, and from 70 mph 174 feet.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member

So, what I'm hearing is that basically there will be a big fine (who wouldve guessed) and some points on my license.... So no one has had their license suspended because of this??? What about insurance, anyone had experience with that??
Old 07-23-2009, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Insurance will go up.. Unless you had prior tickets then maybe not. For me though, any ticket my insurance goes up quite a bit. Tis why I try not to get pulled over... And for four years now I have been successful!
Old 07-23-2009, 06:53 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06scionbhs
this is why i love texas...any Speeding Infraction no matter how bad, you cant go to jail for it..haha our lawmakers are insane.. but yes i would recommend getting a lawyer, if it has been more then 90 days since you took a Defensive Driving Course then you are eligible to take it again and keep it off your record.
GL to ya man!
BS. I know people who have gone to jail for speeding at triple digit speeds and for street racing.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

and i think in texas, you cant go to dd school if you are 26+ the limit, at least here in san antonio
Old 07-23-2009, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the help guys... I wish there were more people from Kentucky (or Louisville for that matter) on here... Does anyone know about how much insurance would go up as a result of this?
Old 07-23-2009, 07:10 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Quite a bit I would suppose. Not only were you speeding, but you were going twice the speed limit. Your insurance company is going to have a field day with you if this goes on your record. Do whatever you can to prevent that from happening!
Old 07-23-2009, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depending upon how he measured your speed there may be some leeway. Radar not much, clocked depends upon how long he tailed you, estimated much more leeway. What really helps is a clean driving record which you don't have apparently so . . . second offense . . . not good.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Be thankful you drove off. Most states would pull your license and take you to jail for wreck less driving after 15mph over.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yeah and you could get lucky and the officer might not show for the coart date.