Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Speedo stuck at zero ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Speedo stuck at zero ?

today in the morning I was driving to school and the roads are bad we have about 6 inches of snow on the road and more off the roads. I was driving and my speedo stayed at zero when it was reading it fine last night. Now I have nothing I turned the key off turned it back on and it only went to 20 when it was recalibrating and then stayed stuck at zero. Than I did it again a few minutes later and it went all the way but it never moved from zero after it recalibrated. I have extended warranty and low miles so i should be covered but would it matter if I have mods ? Interrior is all stock really except a short throw and painted the waterfall and other clusters. Can someone shine some light on this please ? ?
Old 10-29-2009, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rnt you turbo?

what pnp harness you using?
Old 10-29-2009, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am gettin the ultimate this next week. I was hoping to install all my gauges over the weekend and start installing my kit. But today driving to school it started doing this and I dont wanna start diggin into it before I fix it. I dont know wether I still have the warranty or not and I do not feel like paying 700 to fix it. So I am lost wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them. I do not know if cold weather would do it.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

little odd considering you havnt been messing with the ecu or harness...have you done any led mods to the gauge cluster?
Old 10-29-2009, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

yeah stock ecu and nothing done on gauge clusters? you should try it with warranty if you still have it since you have not messed with any electronics so your turbo shouldnt have anything to do with it
Old 10-29-2009, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya it sucks man. I just rented out a 6 car shop with four other buddies. we have a rb25 240 a b16 turbo hatch and I am just trying to catch up to them and finish my kit. My budget is planned out for this winter nicely. Planning on painting it and buying my third set of coils and stop tech stage two and do some crazy things in between. So this is going to suck. I have not messed with any of the electronics whats so ever. My HVAC stopped working a year after I had it and took it in and they replaced it so If this has to get replaced will it mean something else is bound to go down ? It sucks man. Would the snow effect it in any way you think ? I have a seibon VIS 2 and I forgot to garage it one night and got unexpected snow and had some in my bay but it ran fine. that was three weeks ago. The other thing that sux is that the nearest scion dealer is an hour away and the high way to Fort collins is closed most likely for the winter so It is going to be hard to get down there. Might try it this weekend, but I know they were down last night.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you have a cel? it sounds like the vehicle speed sensor
Old 10-29-2009, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya forgot to mention that but ya it threw a cel this morning to while doing all this. I am bout to go to lunch so ill see what happens. Maybe I can plug it in at the school or something after school and see if I can find anything. so vehicle speed sensor, never thought bout it man. I found another thread were they were saying something bout replacing the whole cluster. Ya im gonna go get the code read after school for sure and ill see what I get. I hope its nothing expensive. I just wanna go boosted.. lol
Old 10-29-2009, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

take to dealership and have them put a new one in to see if it works; cuz my gas needle went to crap a month or so ago and i had to get a whole new cluster (under warranty)
Old 10-29-2009, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If at startup, when it does the needle sweep, it just stops for no reason, then it is a cluster issue. We had numerous problems with these in our older Escalades at work. I would still get it scanned, just to make sure it isn't a VSS and to see what the code is. Are the miles still calculating correctly?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scikotictc232
ya it sucks man. I just rented out a 6 car shop with four other buddies. we have a rb25 240 a b16 turbo hatch and I am just trying to catch up to them and finish my kit. My budget is planned out for this winter nicely. Planning on painting it and buying my third set of coils and stop tech stage two and do some crazy things in between. So this is going to suck. I have not messed with any of the electronics whats so ever. My HVAC stopped working a year after I had it and took it in and they replaced it so If this has to get replaced will it mean something else is bound to go down ? It sucks man. Would the snow effect it in any way you think ? I have a seibon VIS 2 and I forgot to garage it one night and got unexpected snow and had some in my bay but it ran fine. that was three weeks ago. The other thing that sux is that the nearest scion dealer is an hour away and the high way to Fort collins is closed most likely for the winter so It is going to be hard to get down there. Might try it this weekend, but I know they were down last night.
haha sweet this is like straight up FNF: Tokyo Drift lol
Old 10-30-2009, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
haha sweet this is like straight up FNF: Tokyo Drift lol
hell ya lol my car has a budget from my techer checks. financial aid FTW ! but no real bad news just to make it worse today. I left school and I was driving and a ladie ran a red and smaked into me at like 10 miles per hour in the snow. not too bad of damage but its there. Need to swap headlights cause this one is broken.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so where do you live at?
Old 10-30-2009, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

he is up in wy bout a hourand a half away from us i talked to him yesterday he is throwing code p0500 speed censor circuit p0606 pcm all jacked up and p0138 secondary o2 voltage out of range for longer then 5 seconds he has stock eexhaust on the car all cats. i have thrown the p0606 code when i got my boomslang harness wet in a auto car wash so who knows sounds like a comp all messed up needs to be replaced
Old 10-30-2009, 12:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sound like bad speed sensor.. and bad o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2
Old 10-30-2009, 12:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

he said he picked up a new o2 id go with that and a speed sensor to start its cheap enough hope that would solve it but the 606 code is a bad one lol
Old 10-30-2009, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

before you go spending money on parts, disconnect the battery overnight and let everything reset, if that doesnt fix it check your fuses, if that still doesnt fix it replace the parts.

from the codes coryjames listed it seems more like an electrical issue.
its kinda weird that all those things would simultaneously go bad, especially if the car is still basically stock.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

has it been warmer and you had a pretty harsh temp drop? like 10-20 degrees overnight?
ive seen car electrics go nuts like that in an extreme temp change, do a hard reset, take your negative cable off the battery and touch it to the positive cable (still connected to the battery) and try it again
Old 10-30-2009, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet thanks alot guys. I am bout to take it to the storage shed and start guttin it. I got hit by a durango but the damage is not bad. ill post more after lunch. thanks cory.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

damn, sorry to hear that man.
lmk if you find anything.
ill try to help you troubleshoot as much as i can.
ive had plenty of weird problems kinda like this in my tc already. haha

Quick Reply: Speedo stuck at zero ?