Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Split Second: Fuel Enrichment Tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Time for an update! The install went smooth and painlessly! I am amazed at how easy and effective it was! I looove driving my car now because it responds just like OEM but hauls azz when I mash the go pedal. All of the stumbling, delayed signals, idle issues, stalling, bouncing revs, and choppy acceleration from the F/IC is gone and now with the SS Enricher, my partial throttle is perfect!

Overall, great product and great people behind the curtain. Excellent customer service and shipping speed. A+ overall.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you tune your partial throttle or someone else?
Old 06-24-2010, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did it. Took about 5 mins. Just the turn of a dial and viola!

I'm a pretty decent tuner but I have Mike ride shotgun while I drive. Operating a laptop while driving fast is dangerous
Old 06-24-2010, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

But I thought the F/IC was like the UBER Part Throttle tuning solution?
Old 06-24-2010, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is the best piggyback (especially for the price) for partial throttle tuning. The Greddy EMU doesn't have an 02 map... yet

Anyhow, the F/IC not the best piggyback for power and drivability in regards to smoothness and accuracy. It is however a very powerful tuning tool for someone on a tighter budget. That's why most turbo kits come with them because you don't need to buy any accessories like you do with the Greddy and it costs hundreds less. I still like the F/IC but I like my Greddy more
Old 06-24-2010, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rangerryda
It is the best piggyback (especially for the price) for partial throttle tuning. The Greddy EMU doesn't have an 02 map... yet

Anyhow, the F/IC not the best piggyback for power and drivability in regards to smoothness and accuracy. It is however a very powerful tuning tool for someone on a tighter budget. That's why most turbo kits come with them because you don't need to buy any accessories like you do with the Greddy and it costs hundreds less. I still like the F/IC but I like my Greddy more

That's what the Pressure sensor is for. Tune it off of Boost and not throttle %.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

We did that route years ago with the e-mangle and the split second unit (aka black box). The two units did not work flawlessly all of the time. It REALLY depended on how well you blended the two together and how well your fuel trims where taken into account while tuning the entire system together. Remember, you now have 2 signal modifiers trying to do one job. It can get ugly VERY quickly.

Edit: the older unit worked well in closed loop, but worked horrible in open loop , which is where you had to have the two units tuned blend together.

The FIC is a great tool for the $, as the OP posted. It does allow for partial throttle control, but is a lot of work to get to run well in all scenarios. Not impossible by any means, but cumbersome.

The X1, on the other hand is remarkably easier and the best system out there for the 2AZFE street car regardless of how radical it is, or thinks it will be. It uses the stock MAF, which is far more accurate than any MAP based system will ever be, make temp and baro corrections on the fly with no need for additional tuning as well. The X1 offers all that the EMU offers and then some. It truly is the ONLY way to build a radical street car that can still pass emissions, drive like a well tuned standalone and offer full control over the combustion cycle.

Stay tuned for a HUGE write up on it VERY soon.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Why don't we just bring up all the EMS/Piggy backs out there into this thread then.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Why don't we just bring up all the EMS/Piggy backs out there into this thread then.
Planned on it sir Travis. Planned on it.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
Planned on it sir Travis. Planned on it.

Forum has been a little on the down lately. Think it needs an injection of topics back into it (rather boring lately). So, by all means make a good thread for good reading on this X1 you speak off, cause haven't seen much "Hard" feedback on it. And Steve was giving some enterainment, but recently went quiet. I've been quiet, but I should have something for discussion here within a week or two.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's what the Pressure sensor is for. Tune it off of Boost and not throttle %.
You can add all the fuel you want in the fuel map for 1 psi but the car will still pull it out because there is no signal modifier with just the EMU for the O2 signal. AMHIK.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We did that route years ago with the e-mangle and the split second unit (aka black box). The two units did not work flawlessly all of the time. It REALLY depended on how well you blended the two together and how well your fuel trims where taken into account while tuning the entire system together. Remember, you now have 2 signal modifiers trying to do one job. It can get ugly VERY quickly.

Edit: the older unit worked well in closed loop, but worked horrible in open loop , which is where you had to have the two units tuned blend together.

The FIC is a great tool for the $, as the OP posted. It does allow for partial throttle control, but is a lot of work to get to run well in all scenarios. Not impossible by any means, but cumbersome.

The X1, on the other hand is remarkably easier and the best system out there for the 2AZFE street car regardless of how radical it is, or thinks it will be. It uses the stock MAF, which is far more accurate than any MAP based system will ever be, make temp and baro corrections on the fly with no need for additional tuning as well. The X1 offers all that the EMU offers and then some. It truly is the ONLY way to build a radical street car that can still pass emissions, drive like a well tuned standalone and offer full control over the combustion cycle.

Stay tuned for a HUGE write up on it VERY soon.
I don't know why you guys had problems with the black box setup if it's identical to what I have. It works seamlessly and without any issues whatsoever. Install took about 10 mins and I only made one adjustment after my "guesstimate" adjustment prior to install.

I'll change the title of the thread to "Dezod threadjacks for propping their X1!" lolz jk

I wouldn't want to run a piggy-back if I had a "radical" TC. I just run 8-9 psi on a bolt on kit and it blows 2nd gear away and torque steers like crazy in 3rd. That's radical enough for me. First and foremost, it's my daily driver so it's gotta be comfortable and reliable. Greddy FTW.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

You can add all the fuel you want in the fuel map for 1 psi but the car will still pull it out because there is no signal modifier with just the EMU for the O2 signal. AMHIK.
We shall see when PTuning retunes me after I get my setup in place.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only possible effect you can get is maxxed out negative fuel trims if the ECU is still in closed loop. Your AFR will remain 14.7. I tested the theory only once by hitting 6 psi partial throttle on the exact same tune I run now without the modifier and it resulted in 14.7 no fluctuation.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

The only possible effect you can get is maxxed out negative fuel trims if the ECU is still in closed loop. Your AFR will remain 14.7. I tested the theory only once by hitting 6 psi partial throttle on the exact same tune I run now without the modifier and it resulted in 14.7 no fluctuation.

I have it on the car as NA, and have turned the Aux cells where it would be closed loop to ON so the EMU will take over those cells. The A/F changes when I adjust in those cells, so we shall see.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have it on the car as NA, and have turned the Aux cells where it would be closed loop to ON so the EMU will take over those cells. The A/F changes when I adjust in those cells, so we shall see.

Travis.. There is no possible way to tune part throttle on the emanage ult with pressue sensor.

He is tuned by MAP not TPS. Im not sure were you got that idea from at all?

Or who ever told you, part throttle tuning could be done with the ulitimate.

Lemme break this down for you (which i dont know why i have to because you 10000x smarter then this) Our cars have a a/f sensor built into the the ecu. this monitors a/f to gain max fuel efficency for a N/A car in which the scion comes from the factory. ANY time that your in closed loop, The ecu is working with the a/f sensor to gain 14.7:1. It doesnt matter what map, or how many maps, or if you trick the maf. Its still going to adjust it self back to 14.7:1.

You could over flow part throttle to death with fuel were the fuel trims were so far off that it couldint adjust it self back to 14.7:1. But you would get codes then possible hit limp mode.

Or you could remove a/f sensor all together and then tune open loop.. But thats just a horrible bandaid for bad tuning / not having proper equipment.

I dont care if ptuning , dezod , the owner of gredy him self, or even justin bieber comes to tune your car... With out a o2 moddifier. You will have a 14.7:1 Part throttle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Brad I beilve a video is in order to show smoothness. I how ever do agree that this is still a piggyback. And Yes we have gotten this setup 100% on your car. There are features that the APR X1 unit will have over this due to the nature of what it is..

I still love the AEM EMS.. <3 (Dezod hit the homerun with that one)
Old 06-25-2010, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ElevationTC
Travis.. There is no possible way to tune part throttle on the emanage ult with pressue sensor.

Lemme break this down for you (which i dont know why i have to because you 10000x smarter then this) Our cars have a a/f sensor built into the the ecu. this monitors a/f to gain max fuel efficency for a N/A car in which the scion comes from the factory. ANY time that your in closed loop, The ecu is working with the a/f sensor to gain 14.7:1. It doesnt matter what map, or how many maps, or if you trick the maf. Its still going to adjust it self back to 14.7:1.

You could over flow part throttle to death with fuel were the fuel trims were so far off that it couldint adjust it self back to 14.7:1. But you would get codes then possible hit limp mode.

Or you could remove a/f sensor all together and then tune open loop.. But thats just a horrible bandaid for bad tuning / not having proper equipment.

I dont care if ptuning , dezod , the owner of gredy him self, or even justin bieber comes to tune your car... With out a o2 moddifier. You will have a 14.7:1 Part throttle.

Brad I beilve a video is in order to show smoothness. I how ever do agree that this is still a piggyback. And Yes we have gotten this setup 100% on your car. There are features that the APR X1 unit will have over this due to the nature of what it is..

Either way, I'll be good to go. Blow thru setup and good tune I don't see issues granted I didn't have any when I was on the pesky Blue Box without a pressure sensor or any additional add-ons for about 3 years (part throttled all over the place, so I'm not that big on it).

Haltech comes after the EMU for me.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by ElevationTC

Yep. That's the only way to make it work well at part throttle.

Thanks for the kind words Mike.

As far as the black box, it wasn't that we had problems with it. It just boiled down to too many signal modifiers trying to the same job.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Either way, I'll be good to go. Blow thru setup and good tune I don't see issues granted I didn't have any when I was on the pesky Blue Box without a pressure sensor or any additional add-ons for about 3 years (part throttled all over the place, so I'm not that big on it).

Haltech comes after the EMU for me.
Blow through is almost pointless unless you are tuning off of the MAF itself. In a speed density like the AEM EMS, HYDRA or whatever, it does nothing for you. It MAY make some transient throttle a little more crisp on a piggyback, but overall pressure is pressure regardless if it's pull through or push through. The MAF is still metering air 100% of the time.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Blow through is almost pointless unless you are tuning off of the MAF itself. In a speed density like the AEM EMS, HYDRA or whatever, it does nothing for you. It MAY make some transient throttle a little more crisp on a piggyback, but overall pressure is pressure regardless if it's pull through or push through. The MAF is still metering air 100% of the time.
ORLY...Guess MAF with an Atmospheric BOV is better than a Blow thru setup... Reckon the other sources saying the opposite are wrong as well.

Transient throttle being a little more crisp could be the difference between first and second place. Every little bit helps.

Quick Reply: Split Second: Fuel Enrichment Tool