Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Stage 0 Turbo Kit Problems...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Stage 0 Turbo Kit Problems...HELP!

I just bought a stage 0 kit used from someone else and they told me that the kit is in perfect working condition b/c they also tested it before they sold it to me. Here is the problems that I'm having...

- I got a CEL PO420, which means that I might having a problem with something in my exhaust area, from the manifold down, its the obd1 o2 sensor I think?
- The turbo spools well at low rpm but not well at high rpm
- When I get on it, the car feels like it is stock with just the sound of turbo, I feel no extra power coming out of the car.
- The turbo spools at around 70mph even when I'm just cruising on the HWY

Possible solutions I heard...
- A bad wastegate
- The car is untuned therefore it will not perform
- A leak somewhere (manifold, wastegate, downpipe)

Another guy told me to stop driving the car completely because I could blow the motor. Right now it's sitting in my garage with the hood up so I can have everything cool down. I installed everything correctly and I'm not sure what the problem is. I want to get this kit to work so if anyone can help with advise I'd really appreciate it!
Old 07-07-2007, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get it tuned!!!!
Old 07-07-2007, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was told stage 0 doesnt need to be tuned... I'm going to do it anyways because the car isnt even driveable/I dont want to drive it like it is currently. How much is the avg price of tuning? I dont have any piggyback ecu, its all stock... so they can still tune it??
Old 07-07-2007, 09:30 PM
SL Member

im pretty sure that the code is from not having a cat before your o2 sensor anymore. everyone on here with a turbo has a cel that wont go away.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have a boost gauge at least?? What are you boosting at wide open throttle?? There should be a turbo whine sound when you are cruising at high speed (65+ mph about). It really depends on load so if you were going downhill there probably won’t be any turbo whine but going uphill there will be a lot. Also that code is the same code people get when they install a header (and remove the stock front cat). Did you reset the ECU after installing?? Do you have a scan tool that can data log?? Maybe the timing is being pulled therefore causing your lack of power. Also you cannot tune unless you have a piggyback.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:18 PM
SL Member

try taking off your air filter. if the car pulls at high rpm then, your intake pipe is too long.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm currently not running a boost gauge, it is still on order. I also do not have any form of piggy-back for the ECU, so no one can tune it for me? I'm getting the Boost, EGT, and the A/F gauges on Monday. I took some pictures of the install, maybe you guys can provide additional help? I'm trying not to turn the car on again until I have to because I just do not want to end up blowing the motor, and this is my DD. Any other suggestions???

Old 07-07-2007, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I take it that manifold was cracked and rewelded?
Old 07-07-2007, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep the manifold was cracked and rewelded... do you think that could cause any issues?
Old 07-08-2007, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Possible exhaust leak causing the 02 sensor to read that the AFRs are off and put the car into safe mode, just a suggestion.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

Sounds like a bad waste gate.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

definitely pull your air filter away from the end of the MAF pipe. It is restricting air flow. I had the same problem. it should sit on the end of the pipe, and if it is too long, then cut it.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm taking it to a performance shop on tuesday to take a look at it. i think it might b a bad wastegate also... I'm going to try to move the MAF away from the filter, I never thought of that so it could be an issue.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

It's not your Air filter, it's not a bad wastegate. I would like to know though where you do have the WG T'ed off at? Check for Vac leaks as those can cause problems with performance. However, I've never seen a coupler on the Intake pipe where you have it. The Stage 0's do not come like that at all. The Intake pipe is one solid pipe. Whoever had that Stage 0 before you, did a hack job on that intake pipe. ALL of the pipes are the same size on ALL of the kits, there is no reason to cut the Intake pipe.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:03 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
It's not your Air filter, it's not a bad wastegate. I would like to know though where you do have the WG T'ed off at? Check for Vac leaks as those can cause problems with performance. However, I've never seen a coupler on the Intake pipe where you have it. The Stage 0's do not come like that at all. The Intake pipe is one solid pipe. Whoever had that Stage 0 before you, did a hack job on that intake pipe. ALL of the pipes are the same size on ALL of the kits, there is no reason to cut the Intake pipe.
there is plenty of reason to cut the intake pipe. kenny cut mine. he himself even said it was too long. i know that you want too imeideitly dismiss the posibility of there being any flaws int zpi's turbokit design, but there are a few. no big deal, as most of these problems have simple solutions.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Brett
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
there is plenty of reason to cut the intake pipe. kenny cut mine. he himself even said it was too long. i know that you want too imeideitly dismiss the posibility of there being any flaws int zpi's turbokit design, but there are a few. no big deal, as most of these problems have simple solutions.

I'm not dismissing flaws. I'm simply stating the NORM. The norm is NOT having to cut the intake pipe. I would approach other avenues of solving the problem before going straight to cutting the pipe. If in the end the pipe cutt solved the problem, then so be it.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

kenny also told me to cut mine, he said some of the intake piping was too made longer than others, i cut it, moved the filter out, solved the issue.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^Good job. Could have been a short period where the pipes were made to long. Looking at the pics, his pipe already looks shorter than mine. So, again I would rule out the other stuff first, then think about cutting the intake piping.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, the good thing about that solution is that you can test it by just running without the filter on.
If that does not solve it, there is no reason to cut the pipe, correct?
Old 07-08-2007, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so should i try running the car with no filter? I havent tried that as yet, and most ppl told me that they dont see any vacuum leaks, but is there any special way to check for that?

the reason the intake pipe is cut up so much is because the person who had it before me adapted it for their 06, but since i have the 07 he gave me the pieces for the maf to work on my car... but i didnt think that would cause any problems, or was i wrong??

Quick Reply: Stage 0 Turbo Kit Problems...HELP!