Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...
View Poll Results: Who thinks I am an idiot for posting this thread?
I am and idiot
38.89%
I am not an idiot
61.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Stock Block/Stock Head +7PSI, E85, NO TUNE+Wire Tuck+ABS Relocate (01/17/11)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

01/13/11 - Getting CLOSE! Example pics of tuck

Just mocking some stuff up see what little things need to be taken care of

Name:  downsized_0107110114.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  27.7 KB

Throttle Body coolant bypass and heater coolant bypass (no heat)
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 170KB.

Brake booster line tuck & Fuel Pressure Regulator
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 175KB.

PCV delete/reuse - Orignially I just pluged the onld PCV vacuum line. I decided to use it as a vacuum for a custom "tucked" vacuum block located under the intake manifold. More pics will be coming soon.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1023x812 and weights 114KB.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uuuummm never seen a tucked TC? hurry up and put that motor in the engne bay already lol
Old 01-14-2011, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

looking good!
Old 01-14-2011, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lookin' good John. Got any pics of your MAS setup? It's gonna be critical for your "no tune" tune.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Lookin' good John. Got any pics of your MAS setup? It's gonna be critical for your "no tune" tune.

Ill have some pics of that once I get the motor back in - Just using the 2.75" Fujita MAF adapter I has success with before and 2.5" piping. Ill deff post more pics up as they come!
Old 01-14-2011, 11:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually Fred, you can see the MAF adapter in the bottom left corner of the brake cooster picture lolololol jk ill get more
Old 01-14-2011, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just read the entire thread, great and intresting stuff your doing here. GL with everything man.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks good, also waiting to see a wire tucked tc
Old 01-14-2011, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by johnhawkins
Ill have some pics of that once I get the motor back in - Just using the 2.75" Fujita MAF adapter I has success with before and 2.5" piping. Ill deff post more pics up as they come!
That sounds good. I think 2.75" OD should work well. OEM is 64mm ID and your MAF adapter should be 66mm ID. That will give you a little more cfm range on the MAS while still remaining close to OE readings.

BTW that is one thing I forgot to mention before. The TC MAS has a lower cfm limit than the XB because of the MAS tube diameters (2.5" vs 3"). At 7psi in a 72mm tube my MAS reads about 4.5V max. Your MAS will read a little higher and 5V is the upper limit. I think you'll be fine but it's something to watch out for when you start testing your setup.

IIRC Paul Dezod posted some specs for the TC MAS a while back that included a max cfm figure. If we knew that we could roughly calculate how much bhp the oem MAS can support.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That sounds good. I think 2.75" OD should work well. OEM is 64mm ID and your MAF adapter should be 66mm ID. That will give you a little more cfm range on the MAS while still remaining close to OE readings.

BTW that is one thing I forgot to mention before. The TC MAS has a lower cfm limit than the XB because of the MAS tube diameters (2.5" vs 3"). At 7psi in a 72mm tube my MAS reads about 4.5V max. Your MAS will read a little higher and 5V is the upper limit. I think you'll be fine but it's something to watch out for when you start testing your setup.

IIRC Paul Dezod posted some specs for the TC MAS a while back that included a max cfm figure. If we knew that we could roughly calculate how much bhp the oem MAS can support.
hmmmmm - and the only way to clamp the MAF 5v signal would be with a piggyback?

Any way the Split Second VC2 Voltage clamp could be used in conjunction with another device to handle the AFR's after the max voltage is reached buy a MAP?

Last edited by johnhawkins; 01-14-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also found the split second modifier that sound along the same lines
Old 01-14-2011, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

After reading up on the Split Scond fuel Enricher, it states you can tie it to the MAF and get it to only read of the MAP after 5v max. So is it possible to have the fuel enricher work in open loop when the MAF max 5v is reached???
Old 01-14-2011, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why dont you just buy a FIC?? Its easy to learn, and you can pick one up for $225 or so - in fact I just let mine go for $225 shipped
Old 01-15-2011, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

After reading up on the Split Scond fuel Enricher, it states you can tie it to the MAF and get it to only read of the MAP after 5v max. So is it possible to have the fuel enricher work in open loop when the MAF max 5v is reached???
The enricher won't help with this issue, neither will any voltage clamp or signal modifier. Once you've exceeded the cfm limit of the 0-5V MAS you're gonna need either a higher-cfm MAS or a MAP sensor and a piggyback. Something to consider here is that the FIC, despite it's obvious problems, actually includes an enricher, a signal clamp, signal modifier, supplemental MAP sensor as well as a SW tuneable FI driver and ignition delay. If it had worked on my car as well as it works on most others, I'd still be using it.

IMO you'll be fine at 7psi but I wanted to point out that at some point you will reach the limits of the oem ECU and MAS. It might be 8psi, it might be 10psi, I don't know for sure. One thing you could try is a larger MAS tube but that will skew all of your MAF data. The ECU will see less MAF than actual and it will learn to compensate, but only to a point. From my experience, the ECU has a compensation range of up to 20% but no more. I think your proposed "no tune" tune may be good for up to 300bhp but after that, you'll need a piggy. Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The enricher won't help with this issue, neither will any voltage clamp or signal modifier. Once you've exceeded the cfm limit of the 0-5V MAS you're gonna need either a higher-cfm MAS or a MAP sensor and a piggyback. Something to consider here is that the FIC, despite it's obvious problems, actually includes an enricher, a signal clamp, signal modifier, supplemental MAP sensor as well as a SW tuneable FI driver and ignition delay. If it had worked on my car as well as it works on most others, I'd still be using it.

IMO you'll be fine at 7psi but I wanted to point out that at some point you will reach the limits of the oem ECU and MAS. It might be 8psi, it might be 10psi, I don't know for sure. One thing you could try is a larger MAS tube but that will skew all of your MAF data. The ECU will see less MAF than actual and it will learn to compensate, but only to a point. From my experience, the ECU has a compensation range of up to 20% but no more. I think your proposed "no tune" tune may be good for up to 300bhp but after that, you'll need a piggy. Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions.

hmmm good to know. thanks again Fred you are very knowledgable - Are there other MAF sensors that can be converted for higher cfm - I really just dont want any type of EM system as far as something that alters the OEM timing/fuel. My buddy has also had much trouble with the fic on his civic d17, ovb a diff car but same issues. either way - 300bhp for daily driver in the summer is great for me...along with some slicks for the track and drag radials for the street ill be good to go

Plus im fully gutted and should be revving real nice with the BS delete, AC delete, OBX pulley, F1 Flywheel - also plan to replace the moonroof with plexiglass
Old 01-15-2011, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So the love of my life was a little upset when she found out I had all the pics up of my car and not a single one of her. But I guess she is the one that gives me the strength and courage to do the things I do. lol. So here is a pic for you hunny bun!
Name:  Samantha1.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  63.4 KB
Old 01-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Hix
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lemme know if you ebay her, I'll take her off your hands
Old 01-15-2011, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^lol...you have just been outbid. lol j/k j/k
Old 01-16-2011, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got the rest of the vacuum manifold done.
1/8" barbed fittings for BOV, FPR, and boost gauge
Name:  0115112106b.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  86.5 KB
Name:  0115112106a.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  111.7 KB
Old 01-16-2011, 08:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm good to know. thanks again Fred you are very knowledgable - Are there other MAF sensors that can be converted for higher cfm - I really just dont want any type of EM system as far as something that alters the OEM timing/fuel. My buddy has also had much trouble with the fic on his civic d17, ovb a diff car but same issues. either way - 300bhp for daily driver in the summer is great for me...along with some slicks for the track and drag radials for the street ill be good to go

Plus im fully gutted and should be revving real nice with the BS delete, AC delete, OBX pulley, F1 Flywheel - also plan to replace the moonroof with plexiglass
Thanks for the compliment John but I prefer to think of myself as someone who's learned a little bit about a few things (usually the hard way). There are higher cfm MAS' available but the problem is that they each have their own unique voltage curve to MAF. Some don't even use a 0-5V DC signal to convey MAF. You can't reprogram the ECU for a different MAS which means you'll have to use a programmable signal modifier of some manner to tune the new MAS to match what the ECU is programmed to see. Most piggys can do this (sort of). Maybe something like the Map2ECU might work better than the FIC. I wish I could say but I've never used the Map2ECU piggy. The Greddy EMU seems like a pretty good choice if you add the AFR sensor modifier it lacks (SS Enricher). FWIW, the Map2ECU offers an AFR sensor signal modifer as an option.

Anyway, there are a lot of ways to skin this cat but IMO you're off ot a good start with the 66mm blow-thru MAS and 7psi. Had you used 2.5" tube (60mm ID) you'd be screwed, IMO. I just wanted to caution you that 7psi could be the limit for your planned tune. I logged my MAS signal using the FIC but without one you may want to tap a voltage meter (DMM) to your MAS to monitor the voltage signal at peak airflow. It would be great if you could datalog or otherwise record it.

FWIW, based on my own measurements I expect your MAS signal to peak around 4.75V @ 7psi which should leave a little headroom. You can always add piggyback EM later if needed. Best of luck to you.

Very cute GF btw!

Quick Reply: Stock Block/Stock Head +7PSI, E85, NO TUNE+Wire Tuck+ABS Relocate (01/17/11)