Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Stock Motor WHP limit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 05:21 AM

Default Stock Motor WHP limit?

Hey all,
I've read and searched a bit and honestly one of the things I was surprised NOT to see in the faq (it might have been there and I overlooked it) is one of the most important things IMHO is what the stock motor will support on boost.
So what whp are you guys breaking stuff at approx?
Or is no one breaking anything yet?
Old 11-20-2007, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

depends on tune.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

approximate 300 whp with proper installation and tune.

lots of daily driven tc's make this much power running about 10 psi.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:37 AM

The person I intend to tune this car is well known. His name is Jeff Evans if you've heard of him.
However ... let's assume the tune is very good.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
approximate 300 whp with proper installation and tune.

lots of daily driven tc's make this much power running about 10 psi.
This is what I was looking for.

What exactly is usually the weak point above 300whp?
pistons ? rods? etc
Old 11-20-2007, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

probably the rods. there was this puerto rican scion making 356 whp on a stock engine, and later, when they were doing some other work on it, they noticed the rods had actually all started bending. didn't break, or lose compressions, but literally the connecting rods had curves.

and i think about 350 whp to 400 whp, you need to build up the half shafts.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:55 AM

bending the rods... wow.
I wonder if the cylinder walls got scored, I'd think they would have.
Basically I'm planning on trading my Trailblazer in on a tC and I figure if it ever isn't fast enough for a DD (I have a 240SX with an LS1 as the power plant) I'll turbo it, just wanted to know what was safe.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

300 whp and 10 psi is a good amount for a stock block DD tC. I think the 250-300 range would be good and safe enough.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes depends on the tune... I have seen numbers as high as 330whp on 10psi... same pressure, just better tune. I think 350 would be the max safe point, but I wouldn't run it there all the time. Besides the rods giving, the piston rings a also pretty thin so that might cause an issue as well although I haven't heard of any reports of something happening because of their rings yet...
Old 11-20-2007, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

About 350-360 WHP on pump gas everyday are more than reliable (standalone required). On race gas I have pulled over 425 WHP and run about 14-16 PSI at the track using special VP rave fuel but keep in mind that is only for 12-13 seconds at a time. I do not recommend you do that often.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member

i have a rebuilt engine with a greddy turbo kit. but i mistakenly got an automatic. wat wud b a safe psi setting or how much power cud i run safely with a rebuilt engine and an automatic
Old 11-20-2007, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KingsleyinMD
i have a rebuilt engine with a greddy turbo kit. but i mistakenly got an automatic. wat wud b a safe psi setting or how much power cud i run safely with a rebuilt engine and an automatic
well, the engine is the same for both manual and automatics, but the automatic transmission can only handle about 250 whp/torque before it starts slipping, so you would have to do a valve body upgrade to handle more power.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Seven
bending the rods... wow.
Basically I'm planning on trading my Trailblazer in on a tC and I figure if it ever isn't fast enough for a DD (I have a 240SX with an LS1 as the power plant) I'll turbo it, just wanted to know what was safe.
oh man, that 240 sx sounds awesome, i watched an episode of pinks where an ls1 powered 240 sx just pwned a supercharged 5.0 liter mustang all night long!, i think they were from pennsylvannia too...
Old 11-20-2007, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member

KingsleyinMD wrote:

well, the engine is the same for both manual and automatics, but the automatic transmission can only handle about 250 whp/torque before it starts slipping, so you would have to do a valve body upgrade to handle more power.

just the valve body. my shop is also saying i shud get upgrade my torque converter. all that is fine im just wondering in removal and installation prices. thats prolly gonna b more than the product itself... i dunno....
Old 11-20-2007, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seven-

Your in good hands with Mr. Evans, the next time you talk to him tell him Todd from AZ said hello.

The stock motors can take allot, 350+ on a piggy back is not a problem for a daily driver

Have fun and good luck

Regards-

Todd
Old 11-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by TurboToyotas
Seven-

Your in good hands with Mr. Evans, the next time you talk to him tell him Todd from AZ said hello.

The stock motors can take allot, 350+ on a piggy back is not a problem for a daily driver

Have fun and good luck

Regards-

Todd
I do not entirely agree with the piggybacks being able to reliably hold the power over 325whp due to the mere inconsistancies of them. The tuning is undoubtedly the most essential part of the reliability, and if you elect a standalone ems and the tuning is dialed in conservative, you can make around 350whp reliably, but IMHO that is the beginning of the brink of destruction.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

jeff evens is a good guy to go to to get you car tuned now you have to look at clutch and boost controller. you can control ur boost so if can hit 350 at times and normal drive at 250 or so depends on how you tune you car. and later on you would want to look into the lsd too
Old 11-20-2007, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I would say around 350 is the stretching point. Some have ran 400+whp on the stock motor, but that number + racing it does not last long.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
Originally Posted by Seven
bending the rods... wow.
oh man, that 240 sx sounds awesome, i watched an episode of pinks where an ls1 powered 240 sx just pwned a supercharged 5.0 liter mustang all night long!, i think they were from pennsylvannia too...
It's a cool car... needs some odd and ends yet, mainly paint/bodywork and some new shoes/rollers. I have an S14 chassis tho... newer bodystyle.

Originally Posted by TurboToyotas
Seven-

Have fun and good luck

Regards-

Todd
He's the man. Nice guy, does awesome work and isn't crazy spendy. Not to mention he's about 20 mins away. I know enough about tuning that I could manage it myself (I will/have tuned the LS1), however for my DD I'd like it to be watched by him a little more closely.

It looks like I'm gonna pick up a 2008 tC 5 speed base model in black sand tomorrow afternoon. As long as they give me what I want for my Trailblazer. So I'll let you guys know.
Thanks
Old 11-22-2007, 07:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, I guess the question is anyone under 300 whp have any problems. After that it seems there are differences in opinions but anyone see any other upgrades needed for the 250 whp range other than a clutch?

Quick Reply: Stock Motor WHP limit?