Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Stock rods

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Stock rods

Just wondering what the stock rods are good for power wise, i know ive seen people run upwards of 300whp on stock internals so im just curious. I have a serious piston ring issue (massive blowby) and looks like ill be getting another full longblock to play with, id love to do a full build - pistons, rods, and the works but unfortunately just dont have the coin right now - so if i have a set of factory rods in good shape think they would hold up ok at 240-250whp? I do plan on replacing the pistons with something a little lower compression - 8.8:1 - making it a little more boost friendly, and of cours eill; be replacing all bearings, etc to freshen up the motor - just unfortunately dont have another $400-500 to shell out on rods - and especially when it seems the factory rods would do fine at that level of power - and for those who say ill want to make more later so doit now - the simple fact is i cant lol - its an auto tranny and i DEFINATELY dont have the budget to build the tranny SO this car will def not be seeing over 240 ish whp - if i want something faster ill be buying a diff car.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

340whp and stock rods right now for almost 2 years.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Default Re: Stock rods

Originally Posted by thendawg
Just wondering what the stock rods are good for power wise, i know ive seen people run upwards of 300whp on stock internals so im just curious. I have a serious piston ring issue (massive blowby) and looks like ill be getting another full longblock to play with, id love to do a full build - pistons, rods, and the works but unfortunately just dont have the coin right now - so if i have a set of factory rods in good shape think they would hold up ok at 240-250whp? I do plan on replacing the pistons with something a little lower compression - 8.8:1 - making it a little more boost friendly, and of cours eill; be replacing all bearings, etc to freshen up the motor - just unfortunately dont have another $400-500 to shell out on rods - and especially when it seems the factory rods would do fine at that level of power - and for those who say ill want to make more later so doit now - the simple fact is i cant lol - its an auto tranny and i DEFINATELY dont have the budget to build the tranny SO this car will def not be seeing over 240 ish whp - if i want something faster ill be buying a diff car.
You're definitely fine for those power levels.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats kinda what im thinking Ill at least be doing the pistons and going with some better bearings - gotta feel like i improved something lol I think the lower compression pistons will make things a tad more reliable in the long run
Old 12-22-2008, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

i'd go this route:

cp pistons (low compression)
k1 rods (no need to notch the crank)
acl rod bearings (from ptuning.com)
cometic headgasket
arp head studs (from ptuning.com)
Old 12-22-2008, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ippskidder
i'd go this route:

cp pistons (low compression)
k1 rods (no need to notch the crank)
acl rod bearings (from ptuning.com)
cometic headgasket
arp head studs (from ptuning.com)
couldnt have said it any better.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get the ARP main bolt studs from ptuning.com as well
Old 12-22-2008, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So yea im def going with arp head studs and main studs - as for rods - ill prolly end up staying with stock - technically i should just rebuild the motor to stock - considering the stock motor should take my measily 250whp just fine but i may as well go ahead with the pistons as lowering the compression will help make it a little more reliable in the long run with boost.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

im at 292hp but i havnt been on that for very long sooo take it for a grain of salt i guess.......im trying to get a sort of game plan togather aswell for beefing up my engine. id like to hear how your engine quest goes.......good luck bro
Old 12-23-2008, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

i don't suggest lowering the compression unless you're throwing some massive boost at itm, 250whp is a joke for the tc as it is. don't waste the money put it aside and do it right the first time.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So ill prob be doin rods too Dont feel like dealing with not knowing the true condition of the stock rods id be using - and i sure as hell wont e paying for new stock rods lol - waste of money - so im looking at the k1s - anyone know the best deal on them?? Ive been checking out importperformanceparts.net but the idiots say theyll be out of the shop until jan 5th
Old 12-23-2008, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh and as for waiting - thats not really a consideration that can be made here - motor has SERIOUS blowby and i dont want to drive it further like this - also had some spontaneous oil pressure drops when driving - could be as simple as the oil pump but i doubt it - ill still be replacing the oil pump when doing the build.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unfortunately as for power wise - im kinda stuck at that limit unless i wanna do a 5 spd swap or uild the tranny neither or which i plan on doing - EVER
Old 12-23-2008, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by RSracer
Ok n00b question.

Where exactly are the main bolt studs located????
Old 12-23-2008, 03:45 PM

Ok n00b question.

The main studs are the fasteners that hold the crankshaft's main bearing caps to the block.

MrC

Old 12-23-2008, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so ur doing some internals on an auto to push no more than 240whp? let me just ask... whats the point of that? our internals will last a long time on 240whp.. and before doing any engine work i would look into how to take best care of your tranny.. seeing my old tranny went in 8k miles at 242 wheel...
Old 12-23-2008, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok n00b question.

Those are the bolts that holds your license plate on place!

Sorry. I can't just let it past.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

you may as well just replace your rings and call it good. save the money for something else. you would seriously bre ____ing that money away if you dont plan on swapping your tranny or having it built. how about this. build your motor then trade me :p
Old 12-23-2008, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

honestly ur money is better in just swapping ur tranny than building ur block. put new rings i and do a tranny swap and run 8-10 psi daily and ur good to go.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unfortunately i have a gut feeling the damage goes farther than just rings - well know for sure once i get it torn down fri or sat. If i have to replace pistons or rods though i just dont see any since in buying stock components for it - that seems like id really be wasting my money to tear it down and replace with stock components :/ when i could spend a little bit more and go with a better set of pistons and rods - probably giving myself a little better safety blanket at the levels ill be running - and shh to whoever was _____ing that guy out for not knowing what main bolt studs are - not everyone knows internal engine components like the back of their hand.

Quick Reply: Stock rods