Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Strange Chirps & Squeaks? *VIDEO inside*

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine makes a similar chirp, except in the vid, yours sounds like it goes *chirp chirp chirp* whereas mine is just intervals of single *chirps* but it's same tone and everything. mine goes away with revs as well but yesterday i noticed it came back in the higher rpms band (past 4500). and when it came back, it wasnt just a chirp, it was a continuous high pitched noise. i think it's been like that but i gotta get on it later from inside the cabin to make sure it's the same noise i've heard all along.

and the reason the gates belt is better for us is because it is slightly smaller then the gatorback belt. and because of that it's slightly tighter then the gatorback would be so grips the NST 9.5lb pulley better then the gator.

and jus wanted to mention that's the first time i've ever seen the tamper proof cap on the s/c..looks weird lol. i imagined a black plastic cover thing.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

hmm... i was driving my car like i stole it again during my lunch break and when im idle, it was doing it again. im going to get the 07 belt and see how that goes. im automatic and it seems to have started when it electronically (lol) downshifted. after i redlined that gear, the shift felt smoother than usual (which i would normally call a good thing), but it didnt feel normal. and then i heard the chirping. i dont think its a big deal. can anything blow up if the belt snaps or falls off track? sry for the dumb question but im not mechanically inclined by any means. only done bolt-on mods in the past. lol.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the belt snaps the car stops running. Can't see anything terrible happening if it snaps (aside from maybe taking a couple pulleys with it).
Old 05-18-2007, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oo your auto too?! yay found another one haha. well, jason, i just realized something about the chirping noise concerning my car. how long ago was your last oil change? changed my oil today and chirping is no more. and now that i think about it, it only starts to chirp whenever the oil gets a little older (1500 miles after or so). the s/c also quiets down with new oil running through it so there may be a relation between the two. and the continuous high pitched noise i mentioned was actually the CAI lol. i guess thats my version of a s/c whine
Old 05-18-2007, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by 05-RS1
oo your auto too?! yay found another one haha. well, jason, i just realized something about the chirping noise concerning my car. how long ago was your last oil change? changed my oil today and chirping is no more. and now that i think about it, it only starts to chirp whenever the oil gets a little older (1500 miles after or so). the s/c also quiets down with new oil running through it so there may be a relation between the two. and the continuous high pitched noise i mentioned was actually the CAI lol. i guess thats my version of a s/c whine
yea, im sure that has something to do with it, but that cant be all of it. i mean, it sounds rougher when im very low on gas, but ive had the s/c on for about 2 weeks now and they changed the oil when i got it installed. so i doubt thats it. and ive filled up gas like 4 times in those 2 weeks. lol. and check my oil at every fill up and its fine.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What oil are you guys running? I'm still on whatever 0w20 brand the dealership put in. I've got 5w20 AIMSoil waiting to go in when I get some time.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:04 AM
Banned
SL Member

I'm using Mobil One 5w30, and the high pitch whine, deffinitly the cai, it sounds like a747 coming down the street with the cai it makes alot of noise due to the gears inside of it. I'll make a sound clip saturday morning of mine if you want.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you pay for an oil change when u got it installed? cause i know they didnt gimme new oil when i got mine installed, they just drained it and put it back in whenever they were done.

im using mobile one 5w30 "fully synthetic" oil. Viper AIMSoil is the best stuff out there right now and as far as i know, the only that's truely fully synthetic. it was just found that mobile 1 isnt fully synthetic as they claim.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

did you pay for an oil change when u got it installed? cause i know they didnt gimme new oil when i got mine installed, they just drained it and put it back in whenever they were done.

im using mobile one 5w30 "fully synthetic" oil. Viper AIMSoil is the best stuff out there right now and as far as i know, the only that's truely fully synthetic. it was just found that mobile 1 isnt fully synthetic as they claim.
crap, i didnt think about that! lol. ____, so im probably running the same old oil. w.e. i think im due in a month anyway.

GET A SOUNDCLIP OF THE WHINE! cant get enough of it. lol.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol will do tomorrow..i'm headed to the track for the first time
Old 05-18-2007, 04:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope. I still got new oil though. I mean why not? I had 6400 miles on the car and still had my 3 complimentary oil changes... lol

I use 5w30 AIMSoil in my turbo ZX2 and 5w20 AIMSoil in the tC since it had like... 50 miles on it. I'm a big fan of it ;)
Old 05-18-2007, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Royal Purple is fully synthetic too isn't it? I know Mobil 1 is just ultra-refined conventional so they deem it synthetic when its not.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah forgot bout royal purple, whoops lol.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I was wondering if I had the wrong info on them. My car seems to like it though, valve train def. quieted down a bit. As far as the chirps in that video though, I dunno I'd be kinda creep out/worried myself.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

well im going to the dealer at 1 today to show them the airbox defect (aka oops) and the belt chirp. and i raced the last gen civic si before the new gen (the hatch), and when i downshifted (lol) i saw what looked like white smoke coming out of my exhaust through my rearview (i noticed this once before too when i was revving at a light). when the turbo'd civic gets next to me he said "hey, your car's running very rich, you should get it tuned" it was a real old guy, so it was cool. not like some ricer hialeah kid telling me that. so i dont know if that has to do with the possibility that my ecu was never reflashed. i always fill up my tank with shell vpower 93 octane, if it matters. so im not sure what that could be. i always thought white smoke was from cooling fluid leak. any ideas?
Old 05-18-2007, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

..you never got your ecu reflashed???
Old 05-18-2007, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

just got back from the dealer.

so check this out -

those chirps are normal (lmao). the mechanic rubbed some sand paper on the belt while the car was on... so now its all ugly and scratched up. lol. and it still makes noise.

the smoke from the exhaust is normal too. "well, you're supercharged now, so the fuel mixture is going to be different and you might run a little rich at times..." "ok, so what's the reflash for?" "o, well thats the tune, but i did everything right. reflashed the ecu, reflashed for the a/t...". whatever...

and the airbox can be "modified". the ONLY way i see that it can be modified to work is by gluing the thing shut. im going to buy a new one because they dont want to put it under warranty because i didnt by the unit there.

friggin ____-tards.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha no idea why he rubbed sandpaper on your belt...the belt feels pretty damn smooth already lol.

and it shouldnt matter that you didnt buy the unit from them. as long as you brought it to them in the boxes they came in and they installed it, they should warranty you...esp. if you brought it to them NIB. prolly shoulda asked to speak to the manager about that or something. it sucks that alotta dealerships give a bunch of bs when it comes to warrantying the s/c. that's why i made sure the dealership i went to would be straight with me down the line if anything happens.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

yea. toyota is great, but these dealers can suck on mah *****. lol. ure right bro. ima make em get me new parts.

o, and i found out the 07 lower airbox is exactly the same as the 05-06. for some reason, the 07 top airbox is not interchangeable (according to trd). i'll buy it anyway and make it work. w.e. screw toyota. im getting the 07 belt too. and a trd exhaust.. and a turbo. ____ it, i'll twincharge it and make em warranty it cuz im good like that.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea jason mines chirps too, but since i changed to 10w30 oil it went away. It only does it now after i go to the track, when the engine is cold, for a couple of days then it goes away again. As for the smoke, i have videos of mine car at the track and i get no smoke at all so might wanna make the dealer look into that, and the clip, i'll have to look at your to see why is not clipping, one clips in one direction, the other in the opposite.

copy and paste, one is with the chirp the other one without it.

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e7...t=MOV01480.flv

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e7...t=MOV01483.flv

Quick Reply: Strange Chirps & Squeaks? *VIDEO inside*