Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Strange Chirps & Squeaks? *VIDEO inside*

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Default Strange Chirps & Squeaks? *VIDEO inside*

I just got home from work and started hearing some strange chirps/squeaks from under the hood. I have the s/c and it seems to be coming from the pulley side of things there. heres a clip of what im talking about. ignore my brother. lol. he said something about the belt but i really think its something with the pulleys themselves. perhaps not tight enough or something? i dunno, i could be wrong and he could be right - or we both may be wrong. i looks around and everything seems ok. im not sure if this is something i should be concerned about as the manual states youll hear chirps; however, ive never heard what i would consider a chirp since i got the s/c.. so is it possible this is sign that the s/c is almost past its break-in stage? i dunno, i need help. lol. thanks in advance!

CHIRP VIDEO
Old 05-16-2007, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wait... the S/C has a break in stage? Damn I guess I broke mine in nice and hard then
Old 05-16-2007, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by VitViper
Wait... the S/C has a break in stage? Damn I guess I broke mine in nice and hard then :lmao:
i would think so. i know trd recommends 200-300 miles on some of the eaton roots style s/c's, so i would think the same on centrifugal, altho we'd have to check with vortech to be sure. but anyway, gimme some answers! lol.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

you know man, i have a very similar sound coming from my engine. But I have a turbo...

I wonder what pulley it is that is making the sound....
Old 05-16-2007, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well mine has the usual chirp and noise from the compressor at idle, which of course all of it goes away once you give it some revs. Does your subside at all? Change with rpm? etc?
Old 05-16-2007, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check the bearings? if not get some new pulleys
Old 05-16-2007, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

mine has the same thing and goes away with revs.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Well mine has the usual chirp and noise from the compressor at idle, which of course all of it goes away once you give it some revs. Does your subside at all? Change with rpm? etc?
yea, i hear that from the compressor on idle and at around 2500-3000 rpm i hear a "wooo" sound like blowing throw a pipe sometimes, which i think is normal because of the intake design... even if it wasnt, i would blame it on the fact that the stupid clip from the lower airbox doesnt clamp right. anyway, yea, it fades away after a while and comes back randomly. i think its weird because ive had it for more than 2 weeks and never noticed that before. does urs sound like that?
Old 05-16-2007, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by deathbyc4
do you have the s/c? im just asking because i saw a video of some bad bearings... lol.. and uh, it sounds nothing like that. thank god. where are the bearings or bearing located? pulley side, compressor side or in the middle shift somewhere? sry for the noob question - not too savvy on the centrifugal s/c, thanks.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jasonrs2
Originally Posted by deathbyc4
do you have the s/c? im just asking because i saw a video of some bad bearings... lol.. and uh, it sounds nothing like that. thank god. where are the bearings or bearing located? pulley side, compressor side or in the middle shift somewhere? sry for the noob question - not too savvy on the centrifugal s/c, thanks.
The bearings would be in the compressor.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, i hear that from the compressor on idle and at around 2500-3000 rpm i hear a "wooo" sound like blowing throw a pipe sometimes, which i think is normal because of the intake design... even if it wasnt, i would blame it on the fact that the stupid clip from the lower airbox doesnt clamp right. anyway, yea, it fades away after a while and comes back randomly. i think its weird because ive had it for more than 2 weeks and never noticed that before. does urs sound like that?
Mine's an 07... so I've got a few things different. I don't think I have your exact noise, I'll pop the hood and listen when I take off from work.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

well i just drove my car up and down the street like if i stole it (ran it pretty hard), and im not getting that sound. maybe a one time thing? i sure hope so. anyone have any ideas as to what it coulda been tho. thanks vitviper, that lets me know it isnt the bearings. lol.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

bump
Old 05-17-2007, 03:13 AM
Banned
SL Member

I get a slight chirping from mine but it is the belt and it goes away after it warms up though, I am still waiting on that gates belt from nst going on 3 weeks and still not in stock.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

cool. i'll see how my day goes tomorrow. lol.

jjos1 - ive read a few people mention the gates belt and i looked it up on nst's site but i couldnt find any info on it. what does it do for us, exactly?
Old 05-17-2007, 03:55 AM
Banned
SL Member

It is just a better quality belt, holds better
Old 05-17-2007, 06:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 07 kit comes with a better belt than the previous years. Mine doesn't sound anything near that loud like that chirp you've got in that clip jason. I popped the hood and listened to the car and it's just the usual song it makes *shrug*
Old 05-17-2007, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

The 07 kit comes with a better belt than the previous years.
well sooorry! lol. jk. i hear ya. anything besides the belt that was made better? i know the actual s/c unit is exactly the same. i got the redesigned bracket and thats about it. everything else is the standard stuff. the redesigned bracket i believe is the same one in the 07 kit. i just wanna know what else i can upgrade. i know your top airbox is different as i saw it has the trd logo. is your lower airbox the same as the one that comes in the 05-06 kit? what else is different. sry for all the questions, but i wanna get the new belt and airbox under warranty because mine wont clip. lol. thx.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

bump
Old 05-17-2007, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 07 kit comes with a better belt than the previous years.
well sooorry! lol. jk. i hear ya. anything besides the belt that was made better? i know the actual s/c unit is exactly the same. i got the redesigned bracket and thats about it. everything else is the standard stuff. the redesigned bracket i believe is the same one in the 07 kit. i just wanna know what else i can upgrade. i know your top airbox is different as i saw it has the trd logo. is your lower airbox the same as the one that comes in the 05-06 kit? what else is different. sry for all the questions, but i wanna get the new belt and airbox under warranty because mine wont clip. lol. thx.
The airbox is a completely different unit... It replaced the whole stock unit (including the bottom). My memory is kind of hazy on that, but I'm pretty sure it did replace the whole thing since I have the stock one attached to the stock hose somewhere in the shed. And mine clips shut just fine too The compressor itself is the same I believe. The pulley is setup different (whole different bolt, etc).

Quick Reply: Strange Chirps & Squeaks? *VIDEO inside*