Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

stupid SC question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default stupid SC question

anyone hear or know of maybe a supercharger update to maybe a not so crappy charger? id like to get it but im just kinda scared for the failures its been having...i work for toyota i kno i kno i should know but my parts department doesnt know what a PCV valve is let alone TRD stuff. just curious..i dont wanna buy it to have to replace it 4 times thats all...i guess im just hearing to much bad. bearing noises, grinding noises, etc
Old 08-09-2007, 11:52 PM
mcd
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get rid of the tc if you want a race car
Old 08-09-2007, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why not a turbo?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i never said i wanted a race car...i have my cobra for that...i just wanted alil extra...i really dont need it dont care if i do it or not. the price doesnt really matter i just wanted it cuz forced induction is just fun
Old 08-09-2007, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i know im going to get flamed for this but i want somethin diff..i have an LS (integra engine) that im building right now as we speak for high boost.. had a hi boost civic once before and it got stolen so why not do it again right lol...thats why not turbo...id love the screw type charger but thats pretty much not an option on our car and the TRD one is just crappy so i just didnt know if there was either any good about it or just news for an updated charger or somethin. people hear diff things
Old 08-10-2007, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Havent heard of any blowers for the tc besides trd...
Old 08-10-2007, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by boostaddict
well i know im going to get flamed for this but i want somethin diff..i have an LS (integra engine) that im building right now as we speak for high boost.. had a hi boost civic once before and it got stolen so why not do it again right lol...thats why not turbo...id love the screw type charger but thats pretty much not an option on our car and the TRD one is just crappy so i just didnt know if there was either any good about it or just news for an updated charger or somethin. people hear diff things
How does one know something is crappy without experiencing it.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is "crappy", the only reason people buy it is to retain their warranty. If that same supercharger wasn't TRD, the sales would decrease 2 fold if not more.

And to answer your question; If someone tells you there is poop down the street, when you get there, are you going to step in it your self to make sure the person wasn't lying?
Old 08-10-2007, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly I don't take anyones word/opinion for truth until I have made my own judgement based off facts and experience. I have driven the supercharged tc for about a year now and I would not call it crappy, but I would also not call it amazing. I have driven cars ranging from 105 hp to 500 hp and compared to the speed demons, yeah its not even in the same league, but it does make the tc a lot more fun to drive coupled with suspension upgrades.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

stone has a point. it's not necessarily crappy, it's just not amazing..... like turbos
Old 08-10-2007, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok Let me elaborate; for the same $ you can get a turbo setup that will give you more power, be safer (I guess people think that since they retained their warranty with the sc they are smooth sailing, but in reality it is much harder to claim warranty on your blown tc than stock tc, read some of the people with leaks, blown engines, and other issues), and able to have a lot more potential in case you wish to up the HP. Now, am I saying that I'd choose stock over a blown tc, no. But, if I were to spend the money it would defiantly not be on the trd crap. And as far as blowers go, it is not of greatest quality at all.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're the DIY type of guy, both options can make good hp numbers. As an example:

SC option (for '07)
TRD SC - $3000
9.5 lb pulley - $200
Ripp Cams - $600
Management & Tune - $800
=roughly 240hp for roughly $4500

TC option (for '07)
Dezod stage 1 - $4000
Gauges and mounts - $500
=roughly 270hp for roughly $4500

Either way, not too bad. You won't make giant numbers with the SC, but it is a viable option. Neither option will be problem free, that's the common thread
Old 08-10-2007, 03:12 AM
Banned
SL Member

I'm very happy with mine :D
Old 08-10-2007, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The blower will crap out with the pulley a lot faster, and by slapping on the pulley you just voided your warranty anyhow. Thats not to say turbos are perfect, but when comparing to the TRD charger, it still makes more sense to go the turbo route any way you cut it.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stone128
I would not call it crappy, but I would also not call it amazing. ... it does make the tc a lot more fun to drive coupled with suspension upgrades.
Agreed!

Originally Posted by monkeysauce

SC option (for '07)
TRD SC - $3000
9.5 lb pulley - $200
Ripp Cams - $600
Management & Tune - $800
The price on the s/c is around $2k and if you get in on the sale at Sparks its under $1900 shipped.

Originally Posted by jjos1
I'm very happy with mine :D
As am I. :D

Originally Posted by Menace
The blower will crap out with the pulley a lot faster, and by slapping on the pulley you just voided your warranty anyhow. Thats not to say turbos are perfect, but when comparing to the TRD charger, it still makes more sense to go the turbo route any way you cut it.
The blower is built by Vortech to be good for well over 400hp and its very safe to say, being one of the oldest co.'s in the biz that Vortech has a pretty good track record building s/c units. TRD designed the kit to be safe and used an over engineered s/c unit to maintain longevity. The only reason a 9.5lb pulley would make the unit just crap out suddenly would be improper installation/incorrect alignment. I wouldn't put it past installation errors as one of the main reasons these kits don't have a good track record. Figure the guy at a given local speed shop who installs your turbo kit does that kinda thing for a living and has only his own quality of work to base his reputation on ... while the tech at the dealer has installed one maybe two of these kits ever and doesn't particularly give two $#!+$ about the quality of the work he does so long as he gets paid at the end of the day.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BLUEMEANIE
Originally Posted by monkeysauce

SC option (for '07)
TRD SC - $3000
9.5 lb pulley - $200
Ripp Cams - $600
Management & Tune - $800
The price on the s/c is around $2k and if you get in on the sale at Sparks its under $1900 shipped.
For an 05-06, the price is around $1900, but for the 07 that I quoted, the price is still around $3k
Old 08-10-2007, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

^ that blows. I thought Sparks Toyota was having a sale for all years???
Old 08-10-2007, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nope, unfortunately not. I think the point of the sale is to dump inventory of the 05-06 SC
Old 08-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

WOW! There is alot of assuming going on out there.

1) The S/C is selling for $1850 right now through us for the 05-06

2) The ONLY issues the S/C had was the bracket and they fixed that with the new kits. To be honest the issue really want even the bracket it was people not following the instructions properly. SO they made a new one so that if the instructions were not properly follow it was still OK.

No matter how you cut it the S/C is still a good deal ever at the $3K. Anyone who has installed one knows this is a nice kit. Yes a turbo set up will make more power. It will also make more problems. There is alot more involved with a turbo set up.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you. Not only that, but a lot of people have winter and extreme changes in weather to consider. I'm debating on the S/C myself.

Quick Reply: stupid SC question