Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Super charger or?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Super charger or?

I'm a newbie an am started to put MODs on my car so for i got 20% tint all around,,tyc lights..an i ordered a vented cf hood that should be here soon..an i was wondering if i should get the super charger that scion makes or a turbo kit from somewhere else..any info on which would be better would help
Old 08-04-2006, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Supercharger, made by TRD, will keep warranty if installed by dealer.

Turbo will not.

For the cost of the TRD, you can get a turbo and the necessary accessories...not to mention a lot more HP. But, then there is the issue of voiding the warranty if the turbo is responsible for a problem.

It's up to you and how you want to spend your money. Do a lot of research before you dive into something. With more kits coming to the market, expect the prices of turbos to fall. If you go the turbo route, take care of it and you should not encounter any problems.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'll get a lot of differing opinions on this one. Those of us with superchargers are probably going to say go that route, and those with turbochargers are probably going to recommend you choose those. I think it depends on what you want to do.

I bought my supercharger because it maintained my warranty and has a 5 year warranty itself, and could get it put on, and never worry about it again. With some mods, I could get more power, but that would interfere with the warranty. Just make sure you get it installed by a tech who knows what they are doing or you may experience problems in the future.

A turbo will usually get you more power, but if it isn't tuned just right, you'll likely experience problems and throw a CEL. Most turbos that I have read about carry a 1 year warranty and if it causes any problems with your engine, it can interfere with that warranty as well. But as long as you have it tuned by someone who knows what they are doing, you'll probably be fine.

That's my take on it. Others may disagree.

I love my supercharger and am glad I had it installed. But more power would be fun (but when is that not true?).

Good luck in your decision.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

another thing is, if u go turbo, since u live in cali, you will not be CARB legal and if a cop pulls you over for illegal modifications, your car will be impounded and you will have to remove the turbo to get it taken care of, costing a lot more.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They dont usually impound your car, they should just give a Ref/modified emissions ticket. But you better make sure the car is all legal (back to stock...) when the ref chekcs it out.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, that happened to my friends boosted rsx.. then he put the turbo back on months later
Old 08-04-2006, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06SuperWhite_SoCal_tC
They dont usually impound your car, they should just give a Ref/modified emissions ticket. But you better make sure the car is all legal (back to stock...) when the ref chekcs it out.
for the turbo it will be impounded...i have a few friends in the OC and LA county sheriffs and they all say that for minor illegal mods...just the write up...but turbos, NOS, and few others, it will be impounded
Old 08-04-2006, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm a newbie an am started to put MODs on my car so for i got 20% tint all around,,tyc lights..an i ordered a vented cf hood that should be here soon..an i was wondering if i should get the super charger that scion makes or a turbo kit from somewhere else..any info on which would be better would help
Who's paying for the car, how knowledgeable are you about cars, and can you afford to drop $5-6,000+ for a setup that will likely be impounded the moment your BOV vents?
Old 08-04-2006, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MJVsTC
Supercharger, made by TRD, will keep warranty if installed by dealer.

Turbo will not.

For the cost of the TRD, you can get a turbo and the necessary accessories...not to mention a lot more HP. But, then there is the issue of voiding the warranty if the turbo is responsible for a problem.

It's up to you and how you want to spend your money. Do a lot of research before you dive into something. With more kits coming to the market, expect the prices of turbos to fall. If you go the turbo route, take care of it and you should not encounter any problems.
I think you mean the other way around.. A supercharger would be like 2900 + 500 install.. Most full turbo kits like dezod (I want one) or t-netics would start around 4200.. But its like 40-60 more whp.. Its up to your knowledge and you financial situation.. Turbos involve a lot of upkeep too if you don't know what your doing.. For me I want a turbo but could probably only afford a s/c