Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Supercharger???

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 04:31 AM

Default Supercharger???

Hey Guys I was looking at a TRD supercharger, Cold air intake, and racing exhaust for my tC......i was just wondering what your opinions were on those parts and whether and how those mods would affect the overall performance of my car...

P.S.
(sorry for the n00b Question)
Old 03-10-2008, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The supercharger will add some nice gains(but nothing like a turbo) The CAI will need some tuning to work safely with the SC. The exhaust could add some gains too especially with a header(but it voids the SC warranty) Overall it will make he car quicker than stock.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=190618
Old 03-10-2008, 05:24 AM

Thanks guys...also how do much do you think my HP will go up
Old 03-10-2008, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

IF U REALLY want good numbers add a 9.5 pulley and tune it...then ur set...lookin at +/- 220whp
Old 03-10-2008, 06:35 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by milkman713
The supercharger will add some nice gains(but nothing like a turbo) The CAI will need some tuning to work safely with the SC. The exhaust could add some gains too especially with a header(but it voids the SC warranty) Overall it will make he car quicker than stock.
Here is what most people do not realize as far as turbo vs s/c.

On a turbo kit...there is NO room to add supporting mods besides of course internals. But when you go S/C you can add all of those bolt on supporting mods as well as internals. there is a S/C tuned tC on youtube pushing 311 to the wheels with the S/C. That is a hell of alot more than most people have on their turbos. Now if your lookign to get crazy, sure a turbo will ultimately output higher numbers...but who the ____ wants to go 300+ whp on a front wheel drive car. Not to mention the tC is somewhat light and can be made WAY lighter...300 is plenty. S/C is also way more reliable long term than a turbo. Personally..for a daily driver which is what my tC is...im all for S/C
Old 03-10-2008, 06:37 PM
SL Member

Default Re: Supercharger???

Originally Posted by chizilriznut
Hey Guys I was looking at a TRD supercharger, Cold air intake, and racing exhaust for my tC......i was just wondering what your opinions were on those parts and whether and how those mods would affect the overall performance of my car...

P.S.
(sorry for the n00b Question)
oh and to answer your question...your looking at about 190+ to the wheels with just the stock supercharger. Now with all the supporting bolt on mods to go with that as well as a tune youll probably see 225+. Add internals (Rods, pistons, P&P, etc.)...260+
Old 03-11-2008, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

theres a guy over at yoursciontc.com that just dynoed his s/c with some mods and got like 230 to the wheels. he had header exhaust and pullies i think.

On a turbo kit...there is NO room to add supporting mods besides of course internals. But when you go S/C you can add all of those bolt on supporting mods as well as internals. there is a S/C tuned tC on youtube pushing 311 to the wheels with the S/C. That is a hell of alot more than most people have on their turbos. Now if your lookign to get crazy, sure a turbo will ultimately output higher numbers...but who the poop wants to go 300+ whp on a front wheel drive car. Not to mention the tC is somewhat light and can be made WAY lighter...300 is plenty. S/C is also way more reliable long term than a turbo. Personally..for a daily driver which is what my tC is...im all for S/C
People have gotten 300 to the wheels with the stock turbo bolted on with a tune. Throw on a full exhaust get around 15-20, internals, injectors, better tune, etc. = even bigger gains
Old 03-11-2008, 04:55 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlckdOutTC
theres a guy over at yoursciontc.com that just dynoed his s/c with some mods and got like 230 to the wheels. he had header exhaust and pullies i think.

On a turbo kit...there is NO room to add supporting mods besides of course internals. But when you go S/C you can add all of those bolt on supporting mods as well as internals. there is a S/C tuned tC on youtube pushing 311 to the wheels with the S/C. That is a hell of alot more than most people have on their turbos. Now if your lookign to get crazy, sure a turbo will ultimately output higher numbers...but who the poop wants to go 300+ whp on a front wheel drive car. Not to mention the tC is somewhat light and can be made WAY lighter...300 is plenty. S/C is also way more reliable long term than a turbo. Personally..for a daily driver which is what my tC is...im all for S/C
People have gotten 300 to the wheels with the stock turbo bolted on with a tune. Throw on a full exhaust get around 15-20, internals, injectors, better tune, etc. = even bigger gains

ultimately a turbo will outdo the S/C. There is no arguing that point. But you need to realize these points.

1) Why go more than 300whp on a front wheel drive car???? 250-300 is more than enough for this car... 250 whp youll be standing up to and beating stock to lightly modded EVOs STis etc. thats more than impressive for a tC.

2) I dunno about you but my car is a daily driver. Dont feel like frying my motor or loosing a ____ ton of miles that could have been driven because I made my turbo super powerful to get 350+ to the wheels.

3) many people (I dont really care) want to maintain their warranty.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah lol it does ruin your entire warranty. mine is my dailey driver also but a want more power than a s/c. im gonna put the dezod kit on with dezod exhaust with a tune and prolly run around 9 or 10 psi which makes just around 300 to the wheels. id say my driving is split probably 70/30 with city/highway so its not like ill always be driving in boost and kill my motor and turbo
Old 03-11-2008, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

That was my Dyno lol. And my spark plugs are ****. I just ordered new ones
Old 03-11-2008, 07:48 PM
SL Member

yeah lol it does ruin your entire warranty. mine is my dailey driver also but a want more power than a s/c. im gonna put the dezod kit on with dezod exhaust with a tune and prolly run around 9 or 10 psi which makes just around 300 to the wheels. id say my driving is split probably 70/30 with city/highway so its not like ill always be driving in boost and kill my motor and turbo
You know you can still get the power you want from a S/C tho right? That is unless of course you wanna be like 350+ whp. Right now tC's are too new to have the supporting mods that will kick you to that. Plus the fact that tC electronics and the EMS are GAYYYYY. but I mean we are still I would consider to be in the trial stage of tC tuning. I am more than sure they will come out with plenty of mods that will end up making the S/C worth while in almost every department. Thats why I am getting the S/C rather than the turbo.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah and with all those additional mods itd get you to that power for the same price of around a turbo, and turbos are more fun and have much more capabilities for change to suit your driving needs
Old 03-11-2008, 08:12 PM
SL Member

^^ dont get me wrong turbos are fricken awesome. I just dont feel like doing it to a tC motor. Too many problems have happened with turbo tCs. TC's take great to turbos but when you wanna get crazy with one...I have heard of way too many blown motors. In order to be safe and reliable with a Turbo tC your lookign at internal upgrades to the max. Because the motor stock is not built to take that much FI. Either way both are expensive..like i said before more than 300 whp on a front wheel drive car is just dumb. I mean when your rolling at 80 mph sure its sexy as all hell. But the S/C can do that too and be fun as hell. I will worry about a crazy turbo set up on an AWD or RWD car personally.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:54 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Something that needs to be realized. A S/C tC at 250WHP will loose to a T/C tC at 250WHP.
You cant just say you can get the same numbers with a supercharger so its just as good.

The supercharger makes its power EXACTLY at redline, below redline you wont see those numbers. I hit 227WHP on my S/C tC. That 227 came at 6250RPMS. Below that I was progressively building up to 227. Compare that to a turbo that would hit 227WHP at 3500RPMS, and you tell me who will win.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thank you lol. some support, turboes are so much more tuneable too, you can have it for a drag strip one day and then dailey driving the next
Old 03-12-2008, 12:09 AM
SL Member

hmmm...to be honest I did not know that. I thought you were seeing those hp gains building all across the power band not just redline . I would think it be common sense that a turbo will have to spool up the same way.... its a turbine. So just the same you wont see peak hp with a turbo until high rpms. Now guys dont get me wrong... I know damn well that if you want the most power possible go turbo with a tC. I am just saying that the S/C no matter how you look at it will always be more reliable and you can STILL reach respectable numbers
Old 03-12-2008, 03:36 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by tCmaniak
hmmm...to be honest I did not know that. I thought you were seeing those hp gains building all across the power band not just redline . I would think it be common sense that a turbo will have to spool up the same way.... its a turbine. So just the same you wont see peak hp with a turbo until high rpms. Now guys dont get me wrong... I know damn well that if you want the most power possible go turbo with a tC. I am just saying that the S/C no matter how you look at it will always be more reliable and you can STILL reach respectable numbers

Unfortunatly this is not how it works. Some research will show. go to HOWSTUFFWORKS.COM and it will explain it well.

There are different style superchargers and the tC uses a centrifigual type 9as opposed to a roots type) Power is built linear when compared to the rpms of the engine. You wil only ever see max boost at redline.
A turbo will usually see max boost at around 3200-3500 rpms. People hear the word lag and think it means that its going to take forever to build boost. What lag means is that, if you are at say 4000RPMS and let off the gas, if you floor it again, you wont be instantly in boost. It will lag because it takes time for the exhuast gas to spool up the turbo. Lag doesnt have much to do with RPMS, it has to do with turbine spool associated with exhuast gas flow.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:28 AM
SL Member

Get blown